tree id

Hey, us Europeans got to stick together here.
Remind the yanks that there is actually a World outside the US.

Libanon Ceder would be my guess.

Cedrus libani.

Since a large part of me still thinks I'm living in California..................nope!

'they' say, at the tips, deodar droops down, libani is level...or is it the other way around?
All I know I have some nice deodar blanks I'd love to turn one day

Ship me one and tell me what you want from it.
Worked okay last time, :D

Don't Fi, shipping price will kill it.

we are part of a bigger city called Spain, we are the tail of Europe, the end of the world.
Sounds epic?lol

With some interesting species, both avian and trees.

I'm thinking about Azure winged magpie and of course the Arbutus arbutus tree.

The Californian brother of that one is called Arbutus menziesii........................... Madrone.

Imagine my surprise when I found out what the Portuguese liquor distilled from the berries of that tree is called.

Tasted it when I went birding in Portugal 30 years ago.
Saw an Otis tetrax the same day.:)

The C. deodora, or deodar, called himalayan here, the wood has almost no particular smell, it keeps its crown conical, and have the longest needles (2").
The most common here in lanscape "recently", seems the C. atlantica, or atlas cedar, often used because some lignages have a blue tone. It has the shortest needles (1"), the wood smells good but not too much.
The wood of C. libani has a strong smell, the needles are intermediate. It has the most horizontal look in the crown. But it's often hard to tell because the crown's shapes change quite a bit from the youth to the adult and oldest ones.
In the pic, I can tell that it isn't the deodora, but I can only guess which of the two others. It looks like a limb from the shadow (longer needles and sparser). The color puts it closer to the atlantica, but it doesn't seems really healthy though, so ?. The cone's shape can make it a libani, but I am not sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The C. deodora, or deodar, called himalayan here, the wood has almost no particular smell, it keeps its crown conical, and have the longest needles (2").
The most common here in lanscape "recently", seems the C. atlantica, or atlas cedar, often used because some lignages have a blue tone. It has the shortest needles (1"), the wood smells good but not too much.
The wood of C. libani has a strong smell, the needles are intermediate. It has the most horizontal look in the crown. But it's often hard to tell because the crown's shapes change quite a bit from the youth to the adult and oldest ones.
In the pic, I can tell that it isn't the deodora, but I can only guess which of the two others. It looks like a limb from the shadow (longer needles and sparser). The color puts it closer to the atlantica, but it doesn't seems really healthy though, so ?. The cone's shape can make it a libani, but I am not sure.
Conical was the shape for sure, the tree didn't get any light from 1 angle, so was pullinh all the stucture to 1 side

Back