tree id

SeanKroll

Treehouser
Arbutus unedo Strawberry Tree. Sounds like a great tree to have.

Oh but they're so messy.

There is one of those at a local school.

We have Arbutus Menziesii all the way up here, and into BC, FWIW. I just had some milled.

I wasn't able to search Arbutus arbutus or Arbutus arbutus tree, fruitfully. Is there another name or link?

Marc-Antoine

TreeHouser
Likely a nursery tree shaped to look like something occupying the street/yard even soon after the plantation : mostly a broom stick with a bunch of twigs (by repetitive pruning or grafting?) at the top. In a very few years, it takes the aspect of a tree's caricature with trunk and limbs in a small scale. A tiny tree to dress the landscape, already "old-like" and at the human's size, but rigged with a weird shape and full of structural defects.

Treeaddict

Treehouser
It sure does have a strange canopy. Even though it doesn’t look like natural growth I believe it to be just that. I’ve seen hundreds of these trees and they all look the same. They are from different areas and they are different ages as well. Unless, some nursery is producing these things on a large scale and have been doing so for a long time.

treesmith

Banned
We’re spending a couple of days at a lake house that belongs to a customer. I have about 30 trees to cut for him when I get my Boxer grapple fixed. Sitting here on the swing looking at these trees, my wife is asking me what kind of trees these are. My old boss man with Asplundh called these “spruce pines”, but I don’t know that that’s the proper name. Anyone got a name for them?

230DE901-5051-4B0B-A1CE-C68E97BEAED4.jpeg

Underwor

Treehouser
With all the cones, it reminds me of Virginia Pine. However the only ones I ever saw for sure were short and stubby in central Illinois. Twigs would have a purple dust like coating on them. Just a guess.

BeerGeek

Tree Numbnutz
Possibly a longleaf pine? Bark mostly matches and the description seems to fit what the Va. Tech Tree id app states.

treesmith

Banned
Absolutely not long-leaf, Brian. These needles are quite short. We have a right few long-leafs around here. Mostly planted stuff. Whatever these are, they favor rocky/hilly terrain. There are lots of them in the area where I too that pic.

Underwor

Treehouser
Rocky hilly terrain also sounds right for both Spruce -Pinus glabra and Virginia- PInus virginiana. Glabra bark will look more like a spruce.