Tree felling vids

Good point. The rip cut idea has its merits in my pen brained mind. I like them now and gain in small limbs to just fold the limb plumb. Its the bigger wood I tend to suggest not doing that on. Glad he mentioned it. Definitely a time a place for it. I made it sound altogether bad, which isn't true.

One of the more reveling helmet cam videos I've watched in a while. I didn't expect to see that top jack back like it did. I think a little more slack in your rigging line the work would have laid in the line without that happening, but then I wasn't there. If I expected something like that to happen I would at least climbed up a little higher in the spar I was on, but then again I wasn't there.

A groundman could have saved you a lot of repetitive work, too.

Don't fret over my criticisms. I've done the same myself a time or two. Take it constructively, and keep the vids the coming! Thanks for posting, Randy.

Good job, Randy, lots of wood to deal with there. Just a thought on that last part up against the rocks. I think I would have wanted to put in the face and cut down vertically from the back, angling in from above the rocks. Perhaps an easier save of cutter against stone. Anyway, your method worked out well and with a cleaner result, so a minor point, if one at all.

Jerry's book shows some variety of back cuts in more complicated situations, like obstacles behind.

Randy, you've learned fast and hard. You sure have developed an incredible skill very quickly. I wish every tree climber had your spirit about them.

I wasn't there either, but if I was, I would have cut the tree into firewood up in the air. Handsaw the tips, snap cuts, small pieces. I'd try cutting the tree down so it couldn't even tell you were up there. We know the number one most important thing about that job is you Randy, but the tree doesn't care, way to unforgiving those trees are. Yep.

That's a good suggestion. Back when I started out, I couldn't keep a groundman busy full time. I had help here and there. What I did a fair amount was start at the tip, and chunk it out small. It kept dicey rigging out of the equation, but the flip side is that I had to come down often to juice up my saw. Surely a slower method, but it took a lot of variables out of the matter.

Pretty much have the same thoughts of those replies before mine Randy. Just concerned about your solo safety. I have a Wraptor and cheat some with the up and down if needed. But I also use my porty up in the tree for tops like that. Ground man is a better solution. Careful on the tear cuts, you can cut in a tad further, or use a line and let it run straight down, little to no friction. Did you mid tie that one that came back on you hoping it would swing round? Careful with that partner.
I know I was not there, but I think I would have climbed higher and cut smaller had I been solo on that tree and dismissed some of the rigging if possible. Easy from the arm chair though.

I know I was not there, but I think I would have climbed higher and cut smaller had I been solo on that tree and dismissed some of the rigging if possible. Easy from the arm chair though.

Echo echo echo. . . Yep, me too, on that job I'm sure I would have climbed higher and gone out farther and made salad and dispensed with all rigging. I would have felt depressed or at the very least, lonely, without a ground man on that.
You get the tenacious lone ranger award on this one for sure Randy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a Sugar very similar situation recently and had to dice up one section
but the other section called for the 660 very fast and decisive cuts.
Butt heavy or tip heavy your call was not there but I sure do love me the fracturing splintering wood.
Pretty awesome and thanks for sharing.
:thumbup:

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone, I really do appreciate it.
I don't try to hide the "ugly" work(well maybe some ;))I do 'cause I want to hear from
you guys on what I need to do or not do to improve and work safer.

I'm taking everything said in a good way and I really mean it when I say I appreciate all your comments.
I'll do my best to remember all of it but I'm sure I'll forget some. :|:

As I was putting the video together I spotted some of the things you already pointed out and knew
there would be comments. It's kinda hard to explain but, when I'm working in a tree I've got a "plan"
that I'm trying to follow based on what I know. There have been many times when I've been making a
cut or rigging a limb "based on what I know" and I'll stop to double check what I'm doing and see that
it's not really the right/safe way to do it and I'll change what I'm doing to make it safer/more efficient.
And then there are many times when I have a "plan" on how I want to do it and I don't stop to take a look
until it's too late and I've already committed to it and have to finish it off, safe or not.
And then of course there are quite a lot of times when I'm not sure what I'm doing..... :|:

I've found the best way I learn is to see it done, unfortunately I don't know anyone that I can work
with or watch work. Watching videos is good, but very rarely do people post the entire process of setting
their rigging and making the cuts.

And you're right, I should've rigged those pieces smaller, I realized it after I had "committed" to them..... ;)

I'm hungry to learn more because I have a passion for this work, not to mention it's helping pay the bills..... :D

Thanks again.
Randy:)

I'm hungry to learn more because I have a passion for this work, not to mention it's helping pay the bills..... :D

Thanks again.
Randy:)

Love your attitude.

I suppose I could show more of the process in my videos but I guess different people make videos for different reasons. My purpose is to entertain and inspire. I want to fan the flames of industry passion in guys like you Randy. I also want to show the people who will never do our job the magic of our life in the trees. Everyone has ADD these days, including myself and so, I loathe making a video drag on too long. I figure I will be able to reach more people with longer, comprehensive videos after establishing an audience for a while though.

Love your attitude.

I suppose I could show more of the process in my videos but I guess different people make videos for different reasons. My purpose is to entertain and inspire. I want to fan the flames of industry passion in guys like you Randy. I also want to show the people who will never do our job the magic of our life in the trees. Everyone has ADD these days, including myself and so, I loathe making a video drag on too long. I figure I will be able to reach more people with longer, comprehensive videos after establishing an audience for a while though.

:thumbup:;)

http://www.karstsports.com/bmsbelayspool.html#.U6hJTvldUso

Mix that with a stretchy 1/2" rope. Disco!
Commit the top/ limb, as it starts falling, hang you saw, let it run a bit, reach down or better yet up without getting your hand caught, pin standing end to trunk or grab it. Again, always be sure (top or bottom) that you can't get caught in the Lowering Device. Clearly.

Use a double whip tackle with sling and biner, and remove the limb from the system from up top, without climbing down. This will increase your peak load on the anchor, as you are using effectively the same system as the bottom porty with a top block, except for not much rope in the system if the BS is right next to you. Hanging it remotely above you with a Static Removable False Crotch Technique, or a floating block/ BMS technique.

Sean, I have looked at that a few times. I think that would be a good investment for the work I do.
I think it was from JB(?) that I first learned about that BS..... :thumbup::D

I didn;t take time to read all the replies and I think its a great vibe on here.. Randy gets a lot of support and encouragement.. he deserves it.. he really came a long way fast and earned every bit of it. its a good testament to what this online community can do to support a brother..

He always invites critique and suggestions. That's been huge!. and after watching most of that vid I know I feel a little concern for your safety Randy as others here have expressed... the issue of working without help on the ground on such jobs multiplies the dangers.. you might get hit with a rigged piece because the groundie can't let it run, then if your injured and can't get help, stuck in a tree, a minor injury could become a fatality..
You look like you had it pretty well under control, but the risk in this business is cumulative. A little risk everyday adds up to a lot of risk over a career. if you keep pushing the limits, something is bound to give.. As many here know, I like to push the limits a lot too... BUT NOT WHEN MY LIFE IS ON THE LINE! More like when a bush or fence or driveway or gutter is at risk... The first question I ask myself before making a cut is "will I die if I make this cut?" The answer there is never "maybe"...

On the one hand its cool that you have the heart and the drive to take on such trees solo.. on the other hand we all want you to live a long life and grow old watching your grandchildren growing up.

Here are a couple suggestions and thoughts about the work...
Personally I LOVE the rip cuts and use them frequently often on much bigger stuff, especially from the bucket... the crucial precaution is make sure (other than single line) NO part of your climbing system is below the cut..

also get rid of those subs on anything you're rigging that could swing back towards you... matter of fact just get rid of the stubs by not making them in the first place, whenever possible.. just make that cut back at the union.

thirdly: whenever you;re blowing out a top ALWAYS use a humboldt and an inch or two of stump shot... ESPECIALLY when the top is not free falling and could hang up on another tree.... if you're not comfortable at cutting humboldts, hit it hard on the ground in low risk situations...

Lastly I didn;t like your body position on that one top.. you were directly behind the cut.. if it had barber chaired, it could have taken your head off. get a little lower or off to the side before finishing the cut.. also not a bad idea to leave a stub on the stem which you can stay under if the but kicks back or barber chairs...

Looks like you're having fun.. Love it! Carry on brother!

I just watched a video that reminded me what originally brought me to the 'House, I was trying to track down a video and I'm sure this is it.
Just saw it on facebook. :thumbup::big-not-worthy:

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=624746597596917" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=624746597596917">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scotts-Tree-Service/358140537590859">Scott's Tree Service</a>.</div></div>

I'm gonna guess that was a disposable shed, or that guy is really, really, really confident, or was a good carpenter and saved money on piecing it out enough to take that risk.

A good shot FOR SURE! Lotta good fallers up that way, I think. Logging country.

Ayuh, this video is the main reason I'm here at the 'House. :D

Yes, it is a great shot. I saw it a while back, where I can't remember, and I couldn't track
it down after seeing it the first time. Someone over at Arboristsite recommended I come
over here 'cause "Masterblaster has a bunch of great tree felling vids.....", and that's the one
big reason I like it so much(other than it being a great drop). Just a little stroll down "memory lane"..... :P:thumbup:

Good faller, that's for sure.
Question for those in the know, how would you prepare the ground so the tree would not fish tail or twist?

I bet a nickle the homeowner, to save money, said "Just don't hit the house! Try to miss the shed, but if you clip it, that won't be a problem." I've actually been in that situation a couple times, but I didn't have a camera back then. Both times, I lucked out!

I'm no expert/professional that's for sure so I had to "cheat", I pulled this comment from Arboristsite(from March 2013) from the man that felled that tree.....

"The place was not going to be knocked down. It is a vacation residence in Packwood, WA. This shot kept me awake for 3 nights. I would never have done this, except this tree was perfect for a well placed shot. It was perfectly balanced. It was sound as a nut. I opened up the face cut to a 90 degree angle with a "Birdsmouth" face. I went out into the unit with a hoe dad and made a flat bed for the tree to land in. I hung a plumb bob from the eave of each of the two roofs to the ground. I measured the distance on the ground between the two roofs and divided in half. I placed a stake there, and then measured back to the tree and marked the same distance to each corner of the stump. I was REALLY careful to make all cuts match up. It helps to use a fresh sharp chain. The skidder operator, Larry, was showing me how far from the off corner my chain was and I matched that on my side. I just snugged the wedges, didn't drive the tree over with them. The tree did get a little closer to the pump house on the right in the video, than to the residence, but the trunk was 30" wide and the gap between buildings was 56" so I had 26" of wiggle room, or, 13" on each side. The video is impressive but it is just simple physics and attention to detail that will bring you sucess in these deals.
I told the client that had built the deck around the tree that it would cost him the deck. He said with the revenue from the logs he would build a new deck, and he has. This tree was just one of many nice Douglas Fir we took out on about a 2 acre lot.
Thanks for your comment, Scott
(PS) I got so busy that I didn't need the website this video was on any more, and when the website came up for annual renewal, I didn't want to spend the money. I still have the vid, and it is somewhere on Youtube also."

..... good stuff. :thumbup::)

Back