Tree felling vids

Sure one looks up all the time during the fell etc, my question is during a shit hitting the fan situation and one starts to run for your life it's not feasible to look up as you run.
At the risk of repeating myself when you shout an "urgent" warning to someone below whilst climbing, has anyone ever looked up?

When shit hits the fan, how do you know where to run? Part of being a pro is keeping your wits about you when things go south. Randomly running and screaming doesn't make you safer. Don't you want to try and run to where the tree won't hit you?

It seems to me that there is a natural sense to look up as well when getting out of Dodge, when you don't know which way the tree might be going. Of course if one is a gambling man, then don't.

Keep your cool, and don't run before you know where the shit is going to fall.

There's a time to take your time and a time to cut and run. Takes a while to learn when to do what. 3 things seem to get a guy, #1, the in expected. #2 , something went wrong. #3, not paying attention and or forgetting.
Remember your body can only work in the ( shall I say " Green Zone " ). That place where your brain and body are working in unison. You get into the (Red Zone) when your body and brain aren't working together.
When you catch yourself Not looking up Lots you need to take yourself to the woodshed and give yourself a good ass chewin. . Since for a faller death most always comes from above you must constantly be looking up. . So train yourself to look up.
But, when you gotta run, Run like lightning. As a general rule you need more than 15' away from the stump to be in the clear. But sometimes you.need more.

What is it? 90-5-15? 90 percent of faller fatalities occur within 5 seconds, within 15 feet of the stump...... Something close to that

Keep your cool, and don't run before you know where the shit is going to fall.

:thumbup: . Exactly.
Like when you are up a tree doing something that may be marginal or just kinda dicey. Most all the time, if you've made a good plan. Done the work of the plan then stick to the plan, keep your cool and enjoy the adventure.

:thumbup: . Exactly.
Like when you are up a tree doing something that may be marginal or just kinda dicey. Most all the time, if you've made a good plan. Done the work of the plan then stick to the plan, keep your cool and enjoy the adventure.

"Technical Tree Falling – Faller Escape Routes, Understanding the 5-15-90 Rule (Article 4)
By Dwayne Neustaeter
Having a clearly identified and prepared escape route is one of the most important parts of any felling plan"

I think the idea of having a PRE-planned escape route and just hauling azz is not a bad way to go in many scenarios.. look up as you're cutting... then boogie when the tree starts to go..

When shit hits the fan, how do you know where to run? Part of being a pro is keeping your wits about you when things go south. Randomly running and screaming doesn't make you safer. Don't you want to try and run to where the tree won't hit you?

Ideally one should never put themselves in that kind of situation. Even well thought out this work holds many dangers.

My friend Larry Galliani told me, stoic and eloquently , "Jer, it's not what you see that will get you."

Would you splain please?
5 feet ,15 seconds, 90% of accidents.

90% of fatalities that occur in felling operations take place in the 15 seconds after the tree begins to fall and within a 5 foot radius of the stump.

Therefore , if you identify, plan and use an escape route, you can increase your chance of survival or escaping injury by 90%.

If falling is just trees off stumps in the normal sense with no obstacles, there would probably be a lot less risk, Trees that get hung up in others has been my closest calls, with the escape routes less certain.

Ideally one should never put themselves in that kind of situation. Even well thought out this work holds many dangers.

My friend Larry Galliani told me, stoic and eloquently , "Jer, it's not what you see that will get you."

Amen to that! A few years back I almost bought it cutting firewood never saw the limb until it speared the ground about a foot from where I was standing.
On my helmet I have stick men in peril stickers one is a falling object sticker, for the stuff you can see, and one is a gator going after the stick figure, for the stuff you can't see.

P5301753.jpg

Every dent tells a story.

I believe because if their was a crushing injury they wouldn't 'release', if you get what I mean? Maybe Willard knows?

Back