Tree felling vids

Sometimes that just the way of it...you see something or another that indicates that the hinge may not function 100%. You make accommodations for that in your hinge or your gun. And then the damn tree goes like the hinge wood was perfect. Or that there was no lean.

It can make you crazy. But the way through is more time in the barrel. Experience really does help. I can make a balls-up of a felling cut to this day...but I don't have it happen very often anymore. Five decades of putting saw to wood really does make a difference.

Most especially if across those decades you are given the chance to cut different species from different regions under different conditions. Being sent all across the western US, and even a couple of stints into the southeastern states for fireline cutting, is one of my secret weapons, I like to think.

Be assured though...as soon as you think you've about got this tree cutting thing well in hand, you will most likely get schooled by the least likely tree. I sure have :).

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed cutting and studying different trees and methods in different places.

I may get the chance to grind in that muscle memory/experience this summer. Gent whose place we were cutting at has a lot of caldor fire toasted trees. Smaller than I’d like, but practice is practice. Repetition…

Our full pension is 62, i cry just thinking about it. I'm hoping I'll be able to convince some apprentices to roll me around in an office chair or something, like I'm the respected elder who's there to point vaguely at random things with a stick rule and mumble incoherently :lol:

Our full pension is 62, i cry just thinking about it. I'm hoping I'll be able to convince some apprentices to roll me around in an office chair or something, like I'm the respected elder who's there to point vaguely at random things with a stick rule and mumble incoherently :lol:
Can I have that job? You can even smack me with a stick when you want to go faster.

I’m hoping to be able to retire at 60. And that won’t be a full retirement. It’ll be more like take a few months off at a time to adventure and then a bit of time at work to stay useful.

It’s great to be able to do it, without having to do it to pay the bills.

I hope to give up running my own show/climbing trees in 3 years, then, for a year or three, just do days on the ground/drive a machine for others for beer money.

Back