Tree felling vids

Glad you liked it.

Nice how he walked the saw up the trunk.

I'm not exactly sure how he finished that last bucking cut with top bind, from the ground. It looked like he cut the top half and far side while standing on the trunk and doing some reaming but then how he was able to finish from the ground cutting top down where there was top bind. without the use of a wedge or the Chris trick. And some of the reaming was done with the bar perpendicular to the bind instead of parrallel with it:?

Anyone? @gf beranek?

Last edited:
It almost looked like he made a double kerf wide micro notch on the top side.
Either way that was one hairy situation to be in!

On the bucking I think he left a (I can’t remember the word) connector hinge snap cut post thing in the middle. That and the tension wood were enough to hold the log up and keep from pinching until the last bit of tension wood was cut.

I also suspect he put that tree in the schoolmarm on purpose so he could get up there.

On the bucking I think he left a (I can’t remember the word) connector hinge snap cut post thing in the middle. That and the tension wood were enough to hold the log up and keep from pinching until the last bit of tension wood was cut.

I also suspect he put that tree in the schoolmarm on purpose so he could get up there.
Would it be a schoolmarm with 3 legs?
A Martian one, maybe.

That vid is so reminding of watching John Ciro work.

Fact, sometimes I'd stop what I was doing, and lay back on the slope just to watch him work.

Quite exciting sometimes, to say the least.

That last buck that fellow made was not unusual. He severed the pressure side first. Then got off the tree, and severed the tension side. With a lot of reaming in-between. No problem with a bar long enough to reach.

Great vid. Thanks for sharing, Cory.

Ha, while watching John do his performance art from a distance, would you occasionally hear the air turn blue from across the strip??;)

Re the vid, are you saying the pressure side was the far side rather than the top side?

Just looks like a big mess to me, but what do I know.
I know if I had ever pulled that kinda stunt, the bullbuck would be leaving caulk marks on my ass and I'd be looking for work.

I'm guessing he doesn't have to limb and buck those.
Why?

I assumed he was domino felling a bunch of trees to the lay that weren't going easily, or at all, on their own, so post-
felling-bucking of a pile of trees is a necessary evil?

Last edited:
So…, say that mess is to be yarded tree length. How many limbs would still be attached? 1:100 comes up limb free? lol

Always did want to work under a yarder, but all the commercial work (local parlance) has been Cat or skidder stuff. Gov'mint won't let you touch a slope out here it seems. But hell, as I've said before, Arizona Timber is a bygone era.

Seems we only get our forests noticed when half a million acres burning reminds folks there's more to Arizona than cactus.

By the way, saguaro cactus is a nearly exclusively Arizona thing, they grow in Mexico and AZ. There is literally one specimen in California that MAY have grown naturally. There are none in New Mexico. They are native only to the Sonoran Desert. The visual cliché of the tall, armed, cactus 🌵, associated with the entire desert southwest, is wrong.

Oh crap, I'm wearing my ranty pants again...

Back