Tree felling vids

Not a specific video but just came across a YouTube channel called TreeSlayer. He makes 2-4 minute action sequence videos. Lots of bombing out of the tree and swinging. I swear he bombs out of the same tree several times.

He’ll most likely do well on YouTube once folks catch on.

Cool video. I like seeing older people still doing physically demanding work. Still doing it is probably why they can do it. I had a bit of trouble following what he was doing. The editing seemed to jump around.

Can't say I've ever got into the tongue and groove side of things, but... what do you all think are the key variables to make it work? I'm thinking a humbolt slide off is less than ideal. Low stump, conventional or open face? Maybe a super long tongue and groove? Anyhow, if I ever find a need, I want to ensure success :)

You may consider a ratchet strap just below the bottom of the cut if the wood is brittle in order to reduce blowing out the side of the groove.

Except for using a bar twice as long as necessary on flat ground.
That is "West coast" style.

Sorry, but I'm not sitting still for 40 minutes chain saw education, so I skipped around some.
Might have missed the moment, when his bar length fit the tree.

Sorry, but I'm not impressed.
Least of all with the fact, that fat as he is, he wouldn't last a day on my logging crew.

Last edited:
The tree he used his 28" bar on can be cut with a 16, 18, 20". Set the face (gob, angle, wedge), bore the centre of the hinge out from the front through the face, fan it a bit, bore in each side behind the hinge, set the hinge, leave some holding wood at the rear. Take the saw out and trip the tree with an angle cut from the top down towards the rear of the bore cuts...Bang over it goes. In Euroland the final trip cut is called a 'dogstooth'.
Set wedges if you feel you need to.
The shorter the bar, the more important it is to remove the root flares.

Back