Tracked Chippers in the USA?

I can't think of any use for a tracked chipper other than clearing work.

For me a self propelled chipper would be nice as it could load itself into the dump trailer. Also it'd hold still without chocking the tires when the mini is shoving a brushy top through the infeed. So far it hasn't been that big of a deal.

In the dream world I reside, I could tow the lift behind the dump trailer, have the mini and chipper in the dump and the grinder on the back of the truck. GCW of only 26-27klbs :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qDxVJ471hyg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qDxVJ471hyg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Carl, why not get a heavy lift helo to get everything in on site?

I would think a 65' material handling bucket with a chip body would rock in Carl's world.

Ive got a 50hp diesel hydrostatic drive articulated stumpgrinder that will go anywhere that i have been thinking about making into a small portable chipper. Ive been looking for a drum off of an old wisper chipper and some time.....

Mobile chipper

Thats just it, wherever a stump grinder can go so should a chipper. They are definitely not for everyone and that is for sure why all the major U.s chipper manufactures have been slow to come around. But we have found efficiency on the ground crew sides of things can add up fast.
When work was flying in We were looking for the next thing to speed- up produtivity and still make do with the crew we had. Now that it has become more competitive it is even better as we have one more way to compete with someone having to hire more hours on the ground.
oh yeah, right when the customer gives the go ahead on the bid, you just ask them where they want the wood chips and they usually pause and then say I guess we could use them in the back, cheers

p.s 75% of all jobs I would not even think of leaving chips but those %25 that I do makes it real nice

A track driven chipper is certainly on our wish list here due to our terrain. Eventually, CA will shut down all burning of brush etc. Better get ready we are thinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Most of the time we can get the chipper to the back of the house,either buy simply driving it around or lifting it over a wall with the Hi ab.
We use a pair of 4meter Aluminium ramps to take it up steps on occasion,I am thinking of mounting a electric winch to the machine,it would be handy pulling over trees or in getting the machine up slopes.

80% of our clients who choose to have the brush chipped also want to keep it.They very seldom want to have the pile in the front garden.

When I'm pushing unless I know it's an easy push, I put the blade behind me so I can gain a bit more purchase.

Then again they are typically smaller than that unit.

They are heavier than they look. If its the same as mine it weighs over 30,000lbs.

Here's me unloading it off the truck-

Attachments

• new vehicles 010.jpg
    new vehicles 010.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 19
Here's a tracked woodsman 18xx with 275hp on a CAT undercarriage I had on hire for a contract last march. I must say, the woodsman was totally crap as a machine fed chipper, not even in the same ballpark as big Coneheads and Morbarks I'm used to. Was very usefull for accessing this very wet site.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Knuckle boom on that Cab-over. As I remember the purple colored excavator was a Komatsu, Kobelco? Either way the builder had left the keys in it and I felt lucky just to be able to position it the way I did before he got back from lunch :D

Woodsman Pics

Thor Hammer's pics are not showing up for me, are they there? Thanks

Back