The Tree ID Thread

I think more of a catalpa, the wood has this particular look (same as Paulownia) but it doesn't keep its fruits in winter. The Paulownia has its dry shells hanging for a long time.
The wood of Ailanthus seems simpler, as I recall but I can be wrong, more classical spring/summer wood than this multi layered annual growth.

I'm wondering if this might be another one of these Asian freaks I brought up 2 yrs. ago:

@Nutball

Is it really wet around where that tree is?

Not a tree, but anyone know what this is? IMG_20220421_102314.jpg

It was on job. Someone dug it up and stuck it in the woods. It looked interesting, so I snatched it up before the backhoe ran it over. Seems to be rootbound, like it's a prolific grower. Makes me hesitant to put it in the ground, and the previous owner dug it out of wherever, but it could still be a nice plant. No accounting for taste.

I have hostas, but I think the color looks different on these. Maybe not... I don't pay close attention to them. I'll stick them in the ground at the back of the property, and see what they turn in to. If things get too crazy, I can dig them out without messing stuff up.

Well, it's in the ground. We'll see what it turns into. Note the pod I saw on the ground before I started digging...

IMG_20220422_171625.jpg

A closer look at the pod...

IMG_20220422_172253.jpg

I put the seeds in some pots. Kentucky coffee tree? I looked around, and didn't see anything I didn't recognize, but I dunno. I hope the seeds sprout.

The pod wasn't from the plant. That was just lying on the ground where I decided to put them. Looking around, I just see my trees, some black locust, some cherry... There's a chance I'm not seeing the tree it came from, but I'm thinking a bird maybe dropped it? I've seen the pods before(not on my property), but I've never seen them attached to a tree.

:^D

I thought so too. I thought it looked enough like it to bruise a leaf and smell it, but it doesn't smell like anything.

Ah, skunk cabbage. Lysichiton americanus?

I'm not familiar with the eastern variety. This is the western variety. Grows strictly in bogs and swamps. Leaves can reach over 6 feet long and 2 feet wide.

skunk.JPG

[QUOTE="lxskllr, post: 1079476, member: 6565"
Dunno if you all know, but apparently cottonwood bark carving is a thing...

evLrOKO.png

[/QUOTE]
A customer paid me in part with one of those carvings. He had big plates of cottonwood bark mailed from British Columbia and had carved some really cool little houses. I picked one that I thought my mother in law would like and she did.

Back