The Tree ID Thread

Looks like oriental bittersweet painin the backside to get rid of. Sends out runners and spreads that way as well as the billions of seeds the birds eat. Cut it down and paint the stumps with round up.
I peeled a small section and was drying it on top of the stove to possibly make a file handle. After heating it smelled vaguely sweet, and kind of like vanilla. I have the feeling it's some kind of invasive honeysuckle due to the prolific spread, but I haven't been able to find it online so far. When it flowers, I'll try to get a good pic of that, and it might tell what it is.

This definitely isn't bittersweet. I'm *very* familiar with that trash, and have a little on my property, but I've been doing ok keeping it under control. This thing is very bush-like, but isn't bushy. It sends out long leaders with a few offshoots, though some of that is probably due to growing close to other plants when birds pooped out the seeds.

What kind of small tree in the mid Atlantic gets pseudo thorns? They aren't true thorns, but abbreviated branch stubs. The tree can be fairly stout, but tends to be short and brushy, and it gets some kind of fruit on it in the fall. I don't believe it's autumn olive looking at pics online, and it definitely isn't honey locust. Infuriating to cut because the branches all knit together, and are hard to pull apart. I saw one last week, but didn't think to grab a picture.

edit:
You'd tend to find them in fields and wastelands. Probably some of the first trees after ERC that popup in an unused field.

Howthorn does that I believe, small red berries with a big pit/stone. Blackthorn too, dark violine berries, like a small olive.
Pyracantha for an other.

Last edited:
Looks like it could be a hawthorn. Hopefully I'll see one with flowers this year to pin it down.

Saw one today. I'm gonna go with common hawthorn, crataegus monogyna. Thanks Marc!

20210330_144338.jpg

edit:
I take that back. I was fixated on the flowers, but the leaves aren't right. Common hawthorn has lobed leaves. Feels like I'm on the right path though. Gonna hit up wikipedia.

Last edited:
I removed a tree today that I've seen once before, but I don't know what it is. My guess is some sort of Ash.

It has dark thick bark, looks like cottonwood bark at a glance, but just under the surface color the bark is a light brown. The bark is easily crushed relative to other tree bark. The wood is a yellowish, not Osage yellow, sort of a dirty yellow. Strong odor, pleasant in my opinion. The wood is somewhat light weight and easily rots in the center.

I don't think so. I'm unaware of the Calleries having thorns, and the wood on these is pretty stout. They'll take a lot of abuse without breaking.

Ah, I think you've got it there. Never really noticed the thorns before. The wood's tough though. Hard to reconcile that with the tendency to self destruct. I wonder if it could be a different cultivar?

I removed a tree today that I've seen once before, but I don't know what it is. My guess is some sort of Ash.

It has dark thick bark, looks like cottonwood bark at a glance, but just under the surface color the bark is a light brown. The bark is easily crushed relative to other tree bark. The wood is a yellowish, not Osage yellow, sort of a dirty yellow. Strong odor, pleasant in my opinion. The wood is somewhat light weight and easily rots in the center.
Opposite branching?

I'll hazard a guess on this one, as native species go in Tennessee, that could be a White Pine, Loblolly Pine, Pitch Pine, Short-leaf Pine or Table Mountain pine.

Best guess from west of the Rockies.

Understandable, I expected pine as a guess, but it is definitely a non sappy deciduous hardwood that's a bit on the soft side. A tree I rarely see.

Did you see the leaves? Sassafras has pretty distinctive leaves. Kinda club shaped. The pleasant smell points towards sassafras also.

I peeled a small section and was drying it on top of the stove to possibly make a file handle. After heating it smelled vaguely sweet, and kind of like vanilla. I have the feeling it's some kind of invasive honeysuckle due to the prolific spread, but I haven't been able to find it online so far. When it flowers, I'll try to get a good pic of that, and it might tell what it is.
It's certainly a honeysuckle, but I'm not exactly sure which. I'm leaning towards Morrows...

20210427_170511.jpg

After this year's bloom, I'm gonna have some fun with the one right out front. I want to see if I can make a nice looking bush out of it; very constrained and dense. I'll probably end up removing the whole thing eventually, but who knows. Might end up liking it.

Two days ago a buddy and I visited a fellow who used to be in the woodworkers guild. Quite the artisan. Proud of his endless piles of wood and odd bits of burl and stump. Walking to his shop he said, “ Bet you a dollar you don’t know what that is (while pointing to a small pile of firewood length logs”. I answered ‘persimmon’ and he stopped dead in his tracks looking incredulous. Pointed to a crusty, half-decayed stump and I said ‘box elder’. He kept trying but couldn’t stump me. A few of the milled and greyed out (from sitting outside) pieces were lucky guesses on my part!
Took my winnings in some nice wood rather than his money.
As we were leaving my buddy said to him “Oh, if you ever need an arborist Pat can help you out” We had a good laugh over it.

Back