The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

The Tree ID Thread

lxskllr

Treehouser
Hell if I know. I've been doing some image searches and coming up blank. How dense were the flowers? Fairly sparse, or do you think "Look at all those flowers" when you see it? Did the flowers have a scent?

Underwor

Treehouser
Definitely not butternut those leaves would resemble black walnut and be very sticky to handle.
Do the twigs have ridges or wings on them? Looked like it in one photo. I am not close to any idea yet.

Underwor

Treehouser
How about Halesia tetraptera or monticola also known as Caroline Silverbell, generally zone 4 - 8, but good specimen in Orono, Maine. Generally 30-40 ft tall, but co-champions in GSM National Park are 104,103, and 96. Fruit is a 4 winged corky drupe, flowers are showy white, 4 petaled, bell shaped 3/4 to 1 inch long.
Excellent reference to have is Virginia Tech Tree ID. Free app for phone or tablet.

lxskllr

Treehouser
Sawtooth oak? Is there any other oak that looks like this? This is MD, and the trees all appeared to be planted a good while ago.

IMG_20200729_094236.jpg

lxskllr

Treehouser
Not really. One of the branches was low, and I saw a proto acorn forming. It looked shaggy around the base(similar to a full grown sawtooth oak acorn), but it was so young, extrapolating may be inaccurate. Regular oaks could look like that. I never really noticed when they were just starting to form.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!