The RIP Thread...

As a long time dog owner and lover, I know exactly how you feel.

I'm really sorry for you.

I did read your other post and was touched deeply Burnham.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone...have been thinking this might be my last dog for a couple years now. We'll see how being alone in this big house works through the Winter...Then decide if I want to be a pet owner again...

Butch, we are fenced here...he made it to the end of the road where there is no fencing for some reason and tried crossing there. surprised he made it that far, as he wasn't getting around all that well since the cold weather has started coming in..

Yes, he was. Most folks can't identify one...more often confused for a mutt than any other species I've read.

thanks for the thoughts everyone...been a bit strange being alone here, but I'll get more used to it with some time. Kinda glad I'm not working right now...been spending a lot of time working on music...sort of therapeutic and keeps me from dwelling on things.

The English Shepherds are quite special ...root breed of the Border Collie. Mine kept all wildlife at appropriate distances from the house including Black Bear , the Ermin was the only one she couldn't catch or run off.

We might have the chance to get an English Sheppard in the spring.

A fellow that we have sold hay to breeds English Sheppards. His Father imported a breeding pair seventy years ago and got the breed started here. His dogs still retain some of the original bloodline and genetics.

He runs sheep and cattle and figures that one dog is equal to two hired men. We might look into it. He wants to give us a pup for selling hay to him when no one else would.

Rusty came from a reputable breeder here in town and a few of his siblings are around here too. If I go that route again, I'll go to the same folks he came from.

Story...the kid I took him from said he was a purebred and had papers, but I didn't believe him and thought I was taking a mutt. Years later I run into a guy at the local store who come to find out raises them and his place was where this dog came from originally. He had asked who's English Shepherd was in the truck outside.

I've always liked a phrase turned by my grandfather, something along the lines of..."the papers don't make the dog worth anything, but the dog can make the papers worth quite a lot".

He told me that after running his hands all over my then 6 month old non-papered but purebred German shorthaired pointer. Smiled a big old smile and played with that pup for an hour.

Grandfather was often "not there" at that point, dementia...but he knew a good dog when he saw one, even then. He was a nice man.

Back