The Official Work Pictures Thread

Whoa Jed, ride em cowboy, 151.5ft firpig flying down street into neighbors yard..lol...you got guts bro, glad it fit ;)

Btw did you clear it with the neighbors before hand?:/:

If not, it just goes to show you again that it is basically impossible to do a tree job of any magnitude without bending the rules somewhere along the way.

Last week we had a job where the choice was a) piece out with the bucket this big wolfy cherry that had no good booms on it, everything was going to be roped down over the very wide bushes down below so each piece would need pulling and messing with (speed line wasn't an option cuz of the structure of the tree and the site layout). Or, b) put 2 lines in it, box and backcut it 2/3 of the way down from the top without pulling it over yet, fold up and move the bucket out of the way, set up the pulley redirects on an oak in neighbor's yard which would mean the ropes would be pulling directly over the roadway, and then pull it over with Kubota pulling on dry pavement in the street. Or, c) do all of 'b' but dispense with the pulleys and pull directly from neighbor's snowy lawn with the Kubota. I went with 'c' because it was faster and simpler to set up and execute and I hoped the Kubota would have enough traction to pull over the big top. Knocked on door for permission but no one was home.

The big top pulled over nicely thereby saving a boatload of aerial work, and we raked out to invisibility the tracks on neighbor's lawn.

But geez the corners you gotta cut to get a job done:/:

Great story Cory :thumbup::thumbup:

Ha!!

It was a crazy tree. I had the block set up in the tree top ready to start roping stuff and I just said to myself, damn are we really going to rope down this whole tree??? It's going to SUCK!! Let's just cut this sucker in half instead!

Btw did you clear it with the neighbors before hand?:/:

If not, it just goes to show you again that it is basically impossible to do a tree job of any magnitude without bending the rules somewhere along the way.

Last week we had a job where the choice was a) piece out with the bucket this big wolfy cherry that had no good booms on it, everything was going to be roped down over the very wide bushes down below so each piece would need pulling and messing with (speed line wasn't an option cuz of the structure of the tree and the site layout). Or, b) put 2 lines in it, box and backcut it 2/3 of the way down from the top without pulling it over yet, fold up and move the bucket out of the way, set up the pulley redirects on an oak in neighbor's yard which would mean the ropes would be pulling directly over the roadway, and then pull it over with Kubota pulling on dry pavement in the street. Or, c) do all of 'b' but dispense with the pulleys and pull directly from neighbor's snowy lawn with the Kubota. I went with 'c' because it was faster and simpler to set up and execute and I hoped the Kubota would have enough traction to pull over the big top. Knocked on door for permission but no one was home.

The big top pulled over nicely thereby saving a boatload of aerial work, and we raked out to invisibility the tracks on neighbor's lawn.

But geez the corners you gotta cut to get a job done:/:

Corners where made to be cut...except those on the hinge, right ? :D

It's funny to me but up here I never trespassed a foot without permission. Did some right real nasty trees in shitty ways just because I couldn't get permission. I'm surprised that in the USA you would be so cavalier about trespassing?

Still nice fell of a big fir, but had that been my property and no one had even asked me I'd have been choked? how was the area secured and made safe during the felling? I mean if th homeowner hadn't even been asked or talked to how was it insured they didn't wander into the fell zone which encompassed part of their own property? The actual area the tree landed in and the surrounding area of potential flying debris too.

In my neck of the woods felling a tree across the road is a no no....hitting someone's property with it with no permission=loss of money..lol

You got to watch out for the, "Hail Mary Jedi's" lol

Just catching up on all these great pics and story's. Good stuff. Carl's crane, fantastic :thumbup:

Jed, when you felled the fir across the road....did the estimator price it that way ?

If not, do you report back to the management at Davey, or keep it hush ?

Looks like it worked out well, but I just wondered how that approach fits in with their safety protocol. Come across a lot of Davey guys here, who tell me they kept on a tight leash....the reason why ask. And, nice work on that bean pole also, hope it wasn't too wndy.

Just catching up on all these great pics and story's. Good stuff. Carl's crane, fantastic :thumbup:

Jed, when you felled the fir across the road....did the estimator price it that way ?

If not, do you report back to the management at Davey, or keep it hush ?

Looks like it worked out well, but I just wondered how that approach fits in with their safety protocol. Come across a lot of Davey guys here, who tell me they kept on a tight leash....the reason why ask. And, nice work on that bean pole also, hope it wasn't too wndy.

I mean to address also, Justin, Pete, Scott and Brian and whoever else can stand to read this. Ohh, and RICH! HA HA!! YEAH!! Missed that stinkin wisker. DANGIT!!! Knew you'd catch it. Dangit again!

Ok... Reg and friends... 1) No. He priced it for every twig/wood to be roped out. 2) Yes (but this is just me personally) I always "report back to management,"... the "hush," trick would never work in our little gossip-circle shop anyway, otherwise, I'd use it now and again. :lol:

3) As to their "Safety Protocol," let's just say that I broke almost every rule they have: 1. No rope in the tree. (wedges) 2. No chaps. 3. Guys not anything even remotely like, "one and a half times away from the top of the tree at the moment of impact." How are you ever gonna get a good vid that way? :|:

4) Now, as to it's "working out well," well... now... that's another matter, but you'll find that money talks and that's it... safety and all of that other rubbish (Ohhh... yeah... we're "kept on a tight leash," also, but...) goes staight out the window if the salesman stands a good chance to put an extra thousand bucks in his pocket, as well as giving an extra thousand bucks back to the customer for turf damage. Customers like that.

Justin: I've (as you've seen) taken extensive pics of the job for a short "Tree Falling (heavy on the "Falling," rather than, "Felling.") Seminar," that I'm supposed to give Thurs. morning. I intend to give a fairly honest, "good, bad and ugly," account of what falling big trees is like. I'll be including this shot of the turf damage that I did to the unsolicited neighbors, the shot of the turf damage that I did to the clients lawn, and a shot of the utter destruction of our company's plywood. As to the public safety, brother, I'd just never ever take a chance with something like that. We coned-off both ends of the street with a guy manning both ends, and the curious neighbor would have had to tramp-through an absolute THICKET of landscaping before she/he came within earshot of our warning cries. Having said all that, brother... falling trees still sucks sometimes. Stuff happens. You can miss yer shot... the wind can come up... Here's a shot of the neighbor's lawn....

unnamed-1274.jpg

Here's the customer's pitch-fork repaired lawn under the 3/4" plywood...

unnamed-1273.jpg

Good explanation and better view of it there. I'd get over it, looks minor. But I'd still have preferred to be consulted first. ;)

There's endless risks taken in the treegame all the time, calculated as they may be, but still risks.

I hate when trees get longer/taller as they go over! Glad the damage wasn't worse, Jed.

Here is one of the pines I took down this afternoon.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 8.26.46 PM.jpg
2017-03-28 14.57.55 HDR.jpg

Nice fell Jed!

We quit crossing lines a year or two ago when our client got in hot water for cutting down a neighbor's trees. He had permission, but it was verbal. The property passed hands, and the inheritor went after our client.

Now it's my practice on the sales end to add the "LOPT" or letter of permission to trespass line item to our bid.

It's prefilled with a standard explain again, and I detail the type of trespass so that when we get the job we have brief details to write into the letter, and it serves as a reminder to issue the letter when the proposal is approved.

We use it if we plan to cross the line for cleanup even. Not saying I wouldn't cross if we incidentally had some twigs fall, but I'd probably knock first too.

People get nuts sometimes. Better to get on the front end of it.

Carl, beautiful equipment. You make that look easy!

Messing with the most recent truck I bought.
0pjd8Nt.jpg

This stupid thing. The customer was another tree company. They had us for the day for something else when they got an emergency call for this Caltapa tree that broke at the base and leaned its way onto the homeowners service drop hard enough to bow in both power poles. This is the aftermath after I got it down.
yMjvBzS.jpg

We went to look at it at the company owners request to see how small of a crane he could get away with to get it off, but we ended up sky lining it while when we got there.
kIkf2qb.jpg

On the way up a Poplar. Not sure how tall it was but we needed a 200' rig line for the tops.
D4WOmxG.jpg

This is the truck I'm replacing with the one in the above post. Now that the other one is up and going I'm going to park this one in the barn and restore the cab. Believe it or not everything on this truck is mechanically sound.
CEAkjNL.jpg

The last guy that dropped a spar over two property lines got chewed on big time by me. I left the job site and we had discussed gin poling the tree over next to the other one. Gin pole was already set up even. I came back to a large spar across two property lines and across a drain line that I may still hear about. I was hot!
Probably cost me another 500.00 just to extract the log with the hired op of the case loader. Clean up sucked.
Good on you for making the boss money Jed.
Just make sure you know all the angles of why the tree was priced that way.

Back