The Official Work Pictures Thread

Playing with a demo today.
IMG_1560.jpg
Not an ideal grapple on it though. Wasn't to bad once I showed them a few tricks but I wasn't overly impressed with the mt-85. Gonna do a bit of a battle against the Vermeer 650 next week just so I have some better reference.
I had a fun day of climbing today. I was able to hit four removals from the tallest ones tie in point. A couple of big swings to get where I wanted and a great one at the end touching down on the swing back for a classic walk off.

Jed did you get my text the other day? I was just teasing you with some more hinge pics.

Rich, you made me think of this...I got carried away playing with trees and ropes one day about 4 years ago...made this for fun (terrible resolution...old-style video cam then):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8VHnQMHgB3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's crazy, Rich... I told my buddy, "Oh, look... Rich tried to send me somethin... oh, no wait.. it musta not gone through er somthin." Then I thought that I had just hit a button in my "contacts," thing or something. I'll look again. :lol:

Gary: Do you have a swivel-deal on yer saddle? Cool vid.

Ray: I believe you on the story-telling bit. That whole post just made me incredibly happy. Thank-you, sir. You and Rich are the real hinge-maestros these days.

This was an interesting one we did last week. It's an old cedar flagpole that the client was worried about falling over. I didn't want to fall it because of the lamp up top. It was about 8-10" at the base, and 40' tall. Probably 8” where I took the lamp off it. It started gusting while I was up there. Pucker time.

Glad to get the first couple pieces off.

We used the ground protection mats so we didn't damage the fancy turf.

bfd8c5a3264327710b487eb2dd33c684.jpg

f4796a01214a1e3a6083e1634b0d8830.jpg

89b2bf5d868d37fa869499988763a596.jpg

Evan you look like a natural born lineman up there!
It's funny, I had a pole job last week but all I had to do was flop it in the river. Homeowners had a 30' pole bolted to their dock at a 45 out over the river with a rope swing on it. The insurance company was going to cancel them if they didn't remove it so I made it go splash.

Evan you look like a natural born lineman up there!
It's funny, I had a pole job last week but all I had to do was flop it in the river. Homeowners had a 30' pole bolted to their dock at a 45 out over the river with a rope swing on it. The insurance company was going to cancel them if they didn't remove it so I made it go splash.
Thanks, you know the career did cross my mind at one point.

Yeah, that sounds nice. Down only felling jobs are nice sometimes.

This was an interesting one we did last week. It's an old cedar flagpole that the client was worried about falling over. I didn't want to fall it because of the lamp up top. It was about 8-10" at the base, and 40' tall. Probably 8” where I took the lamp off it. It started gusting while I was up there. Pucker time.

Glad to get the first couple pieces off.

We used the ground protection mats so we didn't damage the fancy turf.

bfd8c5a3264327710b487eb2dd33c684.jpg

f4796a01214a1e3a6083e1634b0d8830.jpg

89b2bf5d868d37fa869499988763a596.jpg

Man, Suss...that one seems like a good candidate for a controlled letdown fell from the base. The pole mount might well have worked as a hinge with all but the upper bolt removed. Am I speaking Greek here, or do we want to explore the idea some more?

I see more than a few trees that this method might be useful for, posted here from time to time.

Man, Suss...that one seems like a good candidate for a controlled letdown fell from the base. The pole mount might well have worked as a hinge with all but the upper bolt removed. Am I speaking Greek here, or do we want to explore the idea some more?

I see more than a few trees that this method might be useful for, posted here from time to time.
Well, I'm picturing the top bolt as a hinge with something around the base to allow the bottom to swing out. Is that what your thinking?

The wood was pretty solid as it turned out. I dug around with my knife when I bid it. I don't know if it would have handled a side load being old and potentially brittle.

Not quite, Evan. Right on the top bolt as a hinge, but rather than try to control the letdown from below (not enough leverage available imo), set one or two ropes just above the light fixture from the ground via throwline and running bowlines...control the letdown with rescue 8 or porty. It works best if you have a high pulley, like in a nearby tree, but it can be managed with a low pulley if you stop at about 25 to 30 degrees before horizontal. It the case of your pole, you could have lowered it onto a slapped together of 2x4 lumber yoke to catch it, then handle the light removal and piecing from an orchard ladder.

Lower stress, no risk to climber. Since it was solid, maybe overkill, but still an idea to consider.

I've used it (with high pulley, sans the catch yoke, and with a birds mouth hinge) to drop trees onto asphalt I knew was less that sturdy, with zero damage.

Huge fir there Jed! Is that the 520 bridge?

Yup... The billionaires back away from those Medina properties cause of freeway noise. Really good to see ya around here brother... I've actually been tryin ta act like a Christian these days... still drinkin like a fish, but not gettin drunk, ya know what I'm sayin? ;)

Paul: Gotta love the ingenuity. That's what treework's all about.

Sam: You and Rich are cuttin better'n me. I'm a little ticked. Man, that's pretty Birch. Hinges like a door, eh?

Pig-fall today, (Sequoia... what else??) plus a little 18" Spruce... nice, parking-lot, broad-side-of-a-barn shot. I'm just scared that Rich'll throw up somethin way nicer by, like, Wednesday. Don't you dare, stinkin Rich!! :X

unnamed-1244.jpg unnamed-1246.jpg unnamed-1247.jpg unnamed-1243.jpg

David, criticizing my stumpmanship...

unnamed-1248.jpg unnamed-1245.jpg

I got you now. There were no high points nearby, but a low block could have worked. I think we would have used the deck or something.

I actually have quite the mobile gin pole we could have used to catch it onto, maybe even lower off of.

I'll have to look for pics, but we built a 16' tripod for winchint material up a bluff because there was no high point.

Back