The Official Work Pictures Thread

Worked with some hillbillys. They claimed the only time a possum was edible was when the persimmons were ripe and the possums had been gorging themselves on them.

Never been in a rough enough spot in my life to need and try possum. Venison and rabbit always did just fine.

Speaking of odd meat, did you partake in the Python Hunt Ray?

Sounds like some pretty good prize money.
No pythons up here Jim, down in the 'glades mostly. Rattlers and cottonmouths here, though a really big eastern diamondback is about as rare as Sasquatch these days. I used to play Crocodile Dundee and catch them to show off but never ate a snake, how bout you?

It's pretty white meat, I've skinned a bunch for their hides but a fellow down the road will eat every one you bring him. Says they're dee-lish. Unless something drastic happens, I'll take his word for it.

I bet ole Stephen could whip up a tasty possum stew.

Prolly NOT ! :lol:

My husky used to catch them on the fence mid way. Old wood fence. He would just lie there waiting... Wait till they hit the middle of about 30 feet of run.. Run at the fence and slam it with his chest. Fence wobbled and he would catch and kill it before it hit the ground. He was a good dog.

Ray, are diamond backs more rare than they used to be? If yes, why is that, do you know ?

Cory, big ones are extremely rare nowadays and in the last forty years the population has probably decreased by at least 80%. Personally I'd say the reason in a nutshell is that there are too many roads. A mature diamondback has a large home range and inevitably crawls across roads where many get smashed. There are a very few isolated pockets (mainly islands) where there are decent numbers. A lot of people are glad they're pretty much gone, but it's just a sign that the wild places are disappearing.

I have not eaten snake Ray, just never caught one back in my wilder days. Lotsa other stuff, just never gophers or snakes.

My moms uncle asked dad to catch him a rattler once so he could cook it. Dad killed a big one and brought it to town to skin it for him. Once they got it opened up they found a partially digested gopher in its guts. Moms uncle lost his appetite for snake after that.

Lotsa big snakes out here Cory. Wife is still afraid of them.

If I ever were to eat possum, I would want you to cook it Stephen!

Good exit. That fat log could throw some stuff on impact. Good sequence of pics.

Looks like Eucalyptus.

You guys have any rainbow Eucs down there? I just saw a picture online. Look like wild trees.

I saw rainbow eucs in Hawaii...they ARE radical...striking trees.

Jim...I skinned a cane break rattler on our farm years back...my son wanted to keep the skin (we still have that skin mounted). It was a one eyed rattler I killed on the dam by the pond.

I found a rat inside that was being digested...an emulsified, white slimy mess...definitely gave me a queasy stomach and I don't usually get queasy about blood and guts. Digestion is a pretty nasty process.

I occasionally come across possums in Eucs here...so far they have been all sleepy and slow, I woke them up from their slumbers tucked into a nice hollow

Yes euc for sure,thnx Sean,Butch. I don't believe i have seen a rainbow euc,judging by the pictures from google search results,they look unreal! I had to hit that one from both sides with my 36" bar,I'd say it was 1 1/2 feet thicker than my bar length,but it wasn't round,like it's thicker from one angle than another. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453187203.733659.jpg close to this from the other angle.

I wonder if possums look the same there Fiona? lol they gotta be all pumped up ,like one of the American versions on steroids,being in such such an exotic place n all thats what I would expect 😳

They're not that scary.

There's a couple of Ringtails out the back.

possum 002.jpg

Pretty crappy picture, they really look like this.

ringtailpossum.jpg

That looks like a rat/possum hybrid on steroids....no likey.

Griff...VG picts. That was a big spar...standing next to it really defines the size. Good photographer to get those felling shots.

That was really cool Grif. You're photographer knew what he was doing. How cool is that shot of the dust flying up when it hits the ground.

Sean: At least three more weeks in a splint, light-duty. Doc says the bone is healing really well. And now for the physical therapy to even come close to being able to close my fist enough to grip a rope again. :O

That's actually a pretty nice looking possum Steve.looks like it wants to be petted.
For those pictures i just sat my phone in the bushes and put it on time lapse.https://vimeo.com/152292752 glad to hear it's healing good Jed. Hows it look?

Back