The Official Work Pictures Thread

There was a similar but worse injury like that on AT a couple of years back.
The calf was badly mashed, he didn't go into detail because of insurance stuff but he did say he wasn't the operator.

If he wasn't the operator was he the rock fetcher? Wtf is anyone doing near that end of the machine?
Not that every one of those pics didn't look nasty but that one looks like the limb is pretty well deceased.

That's some good perspective there Butch. Makes me feel like a secretary with a broken nail.

Forgot how you mashed your foot again. Gerry got his mashed by the operator if I remember right, but I forgot yours.

This is from yeasterday, I'm not working today:)

"Our" castle is putting up what will be the longest zip line in the country, hoping it'll bring in some revenue.
The guy who is building it is a bit of a space head, so we try not to get involved.
We have, however been asked to "carve" the tunnels through the canopy that it'll run through.
When we came in to do that yesterday, I noticed that he had used a severely compromised ash as termination point ( This despite being told by us to stay clear of ash trees, as we are removing them when they die, which will be in very short time. Problem is, this guy can't tell one tree from another, which is really a fine thing when you make your living by building zip lines in trees).
I asked who had ok'ed that particular tree and was told that he had used a certified arbo, who had checked the tree and found it sound.
Look at the pictures, folks!
I simply couldn't believe it, so I called the arbo and it turned out that he thought that the fact that there are sprouting fomes fomentarius didn't compromise the tree, since " it was only in one leader"????????????????????
He also hadn't noticed that the tree was hollow.
So I called the owner of the casle and explained that as I am in charge of arboreal safety in the park, I had to veto this.
We felled the ash and also another beech near the line that sprouting polyporus squamosus.
The certified arbrist had also decided that this was of no importance, despite the zipline running next to the tree.
I'm thinking of sending the pictures to the Danish arbo association and ask that they revoke his certification.

View attachment 55355View attachment 55356View attachment 55357

Some of you may remember this from last year.

The same certified arborist, Jesper Quaade Møller had ok'ed a large beech with sprouting Fomes fomentarium as termination point for the longest zip in the system, some 1200 feet.

Despite the fact that beech with fruiting bodies from Fomes are considered high risk trees here, he didn't think it was a problem. We said it had to come down in a years time at the latest.

Today we took the tree down, and they'll have to re-route the zip line.

A costly affair, and Jesper Quaade Møller has denied any responsibility ( He simply says that he has not made a mistake, basta!) so it'll most likely end up in court.
I've asked the Danish ISA to step in and try to get him to act responsibly. Hope that works.

As you can see on the pictures, the tree had already started to break down internally, causing the bark to crack on the pressure side under the fungus. Nasty!

Since there were wires running next to the tree and we didn't much feel like rigging off a compromised tree, we decided to drop one big branch and then take the top in one go.

We had to cut it about 12' over the rotten part, so I was somewhat concerned about the tree breaking as the top went.
So a SRT line in a neighbour tree and a breakaway lanyard was used, also we put a logging chain around the trunk to keep it from splitting.

Couldn't reach through with a 30" bar and since I hate using the 880 with the long bar while standing onspurs, I made the face with the 30", then bored in on both sides of the hinge with an 18".
I was tied into the top while doing this, in order to move more freely, and as I bored in on the last cut, I hear Richard over the Sena saying: STOP and get your rope out, it just started to go.

As I turned the saw off, the tree gave a huge crack! ( Wish I'd been wearing a heart rate monitor, bet it would have shown a fine spike:lol:)

Got the rope out and tripped the rest from the back.
Down she went, with no mishaps at all. Not that big a top, maybe 6 tons, but the fungus made it a bit of a hairy job.

Once the remaining platform is out, we'll fell the log, dissect it and take some pictures to use in court.

P1030922.JPG P1030931.JPG P1030953.JPG P1030957.JPG P1030958.JPG

Top notch hazard work there Stig. Smart way to deal with a seriously compromised tree:)

I am very disappointed that the consultant did not have the balls to stand by his decision - did you condem the tree?

Landing platform for the zip line. There was one higher up as well.
Used for changing over from one ride to the next.

We condemned it right at the beginning, Pete.
Since they had a deadline on the zipline, the owner asked if it would hold up for 1 year.
Richard went up and tested the affected area, and we ok'ed it for one year, saying after that, it had to go.

Like the song says, hereabouts Stig..."beer is good and people are crazy". Nice work...spooky to hear that tree speak to you while you still have a rope up top.

We caught a possum in the trap last night...he'd been tapdancing on the roof. We relocated him to some bush about 20miles away...

Scary stuff Stig...be interesting to follow how it all plays out.

Whatever did happen to Tree Machine, I tried to get in touch with him after he sent me his Big Shot head...never could. He was a cool guy.

On page 11 of your thread butch,dzaamn. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453336962.103881.jpg mines petty compared.
Nice shot stig!! Really nice. That's really cool you relocated the possum Fiona,good on you.

I've had that same bruise in that same spot - groundy didn't leave any slack in the rope...

But, but, but, but I don't want to put a dent in the fence. F'n groundies.

Good Work, Stig.

I know its common for people to cut their face-cut with a rope in the top of the tree. I don't. Especially a compromised, leaning tree.

Stig: Really great work and shots if I have to second Sean's caveat. Viking stuff.

Butch: Ahhh yes. Thanks for the reminder. I also rolled a log on a roof over on my foot this winter breaking my little toe for the second time. The first time was dropping a round on it twelve years ago. Bad winter for me.

Nice work Stig, cool pics. I'm sure you got pics of the cross section, how bad was it?

T'wasn't too bad, because we went a ways above the bad part in order to have a somewhat sound hinge. The top had some sidelean, and I didn't want it to go sideways into the wire.

Still bad enough for it to settle once the outer part was cut.

Further down in the trunk it'll be real bad I think.

That'll make for some good evidence photos, hopefully.

Unsatisfactory photos of two firs that we took down today, got out of the habit of taking photos lately.
Anyway they were decent enough to warrant a timber lorry for the butts and large cordwood.
Always a nice feeling watching it disappear over the hedge.
I deliberately didn't tidy the trunk up as then the homeowner starts thinking about what it's worth (not much)
The sawmill get it for free, they can tidy it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 59
I'm amazed a mill would want knotty lumber like that, even for free.
Here it would be chipped for biomass.

Back