The Official Work Pictures Thread

Took down the rest of my Schoolmarm, and got her into 16" firewood rounds. The brush alone on that pig made 16 yards of chips. TERRIBLE rookie double-cut on the butt for Burnham and Gerry to laugh at...

unnamed-437.jpg This one shot some dirt out. unnamed-442.jpg

unnamed-438.jpg Tim was pretty glad when we were done. unnamed-439.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed-440.jpg
    unnamed-440.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 66
  • unnamed-441.jpg
    unnamed-441.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 65
Got this one to bid...

Lombardi poplar, broken at the base, hung up at about 50-60'...two other broken stems inside.
No clear shot to get a climb line in above...will probably hire a big cherry picker to get in and clean it up a bit to see where to go from there, whether I can rig it down or we need a crane.
Problem about machinery is it has to come from over an hr away. So would any other tree companies, so I get first bite at it being just down the road 5 minutes.

Attachments

• DSC00841.JPG
    DSC00841.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 60
What size bar you run on that 66?

I always run a 32" if it's a Stihl or Oregon bar, but I think I'd prefer one of the Sugi Hara 33". I've tried to run a 36" Oregon, but it feels way too long for me when I'm flip lined in, and you start to get some bar-bow at 36" which also starts to throw chain if it gets a hair loose.

Basal prune is the best answer for those nasty trees, imo.

I've climbed a very few, but no climb line/overhead anchor point. I just set a series of trucker's hitch tightened loops around the whole mess as I ascended, and spurred up. Pretty miserable work.

Climbed and rigged lots of lombardies, some rotten and hollow.

Hated them early on, but you get used to them.

Seems like 30 minutes or less you could get a suitable TIP. Maybe pretty easily.

If you want to climb DdRT, put a pulley on the end of a non-isolated line with a good redirection point. Forgot if you climb SRT. If that does the job, pocket the money on the lift.

If its dicey, get a lift.

Static rigging it down, with a POW in the tree, set as a double whip tackle will double your capacity if you need to hang a big piece compared to your rope capacity.

I just set a series of trucker's hitch tightened loops around the whole mess as I ascended, and spurred up.

Probably the most underused trick in this entire trade.

Our shop gets tons of new climbers who refuse to do this or that tree (not ALL of them are unjustified) for "safety" reasons, when, in truth, if they had just put the work in to take some extra precations, whether they were really needed or just useful as psych. security, many of them could have finished the tree.

Can a Lombardi actually be climbed? It looks like a green nightmare of tight limbs.

Lombardi don't look all that bad to climb. I'd just advance a high TIP if I couldn't shoot one. I've only bucketed and felled them, though. Been around them. I suspect western red cedars are harder for TIPs and stuff grabbing you and potentially poking you in the eye all the time.

Upsloping TIPs vs Downsloping TIPS.

Lots of lombos around here. A nasty tree to climb. Hard to get used to when d.fir is the main staple in the diet.

Ain't that bad. you just have to forget all the modern shit and go old school on them.
Only way up is spurs and lanyard, but once you have a good TIP they are asy as hell to work.

There not that bad, I climb a lot of them, I have done 2 already this week. As Burnham said - guy week unions, either with a ratchet strap, or if your rigging then use 2 blocks to compress it.

Ain't that bad. you just have to forget all the modern shit and go old school on them.
Only way up is spurs and lanyard, but once you have a good TIP they are asy as hell to work.
S'right easy peasy, got a decent size one to do in the new year, looking forward to it.

Back