The Official Work Pictures Thread

I would say so. Whites are kind of an investment, and the factory will rebuild them for a price lower than replacement.

I have friends that had RW's and went to Whites and they never went back. They said it was cheaper in the long run.

That is IF you take care of them, cleaned and oiled when they need it. If you neglect both brands, maybe it would be best to get the cheaper boots.

I have some Danners that were around 300 bucks, the comfort of the 360 (at the time) Whites is far and away better.

Yep, clean and oil every two weeks. I just thought I was hard on boots. I probably put almost 70 hours a week in them though.

Thats not too bad. The only reason I am a bit apprehensive is that Dad sent his favorites Whites to them and they were never the same afterwards.

The Smoke Jumpers that I wear are SOOOOOOOOOO comfortable, I would hate to lose that. But at 400 dollars now, I had better not ruin them!

Jim: I don't think the rebuilds wear the quite the same. I felt like they were more comfortable right away to put on compared to the new boots, but they took longer to break in. Half the break in pain and twice the time? It's like they break in as a different boot... Not sure how to explain it. And it was $200ish.... not $400-450 like you said. I didn't have much of a choice, since mine were completely destroyed, and soles were slicks in some spots.

Rich: I got two seasons out of my whites and a year on my rebuilds, which are in good shape. They're a good value IMO. The biggest downside is they are not waterproof unless you are religious about treating them. I like the Kennetrek boot wax. http://www.kenetrek.com/KENETREK-BOOT-WAX/productinfo/KE-WAX/

Edit: Just read your last post, I probably had about the same amount of hours in a week on my boots if that helps.

Last edited:
Just a prune, I wonder if I went high enough?..lol

Kiddin...Had a small fell zone so had to get branches off, lots of side weight towards home, so wouldnt come in contact with deck and other tree's.

Set a pull line for safe felling.

4rioDj0l.jpg

Bixler below and all the dead bark beatle logs ready for log truck self loader....I think 16 so far all over 100+ tall

CAxtDSAl.jpg

Love the house and multi level decks ;)

b6Z42Gal.jpg

Actually wore a jacket and thermals today, rare for nor cal.... icy day.

M10aSxQl.jpg

setting a pull line in this pondo as well

6nahyk4.jpg

Talking with some fire fighters during different fire seasons was enough for me to believe in Whites. Some of them with bad feet have gone to Kennetrex or La Sportavia.

Some guys get multiple seasons with their Whites. Hotshots too. Some shot crew members might wear out lesser boots twice a season.

The ones I know that liked Whites in the 80's have switched to Nick's now.
My last set of whites I bought in the middle 90's, had a lot thinner leather than the set I bought in the late 80's.

Wescos, rock for shure, Butch. Everybody knows that.

Scott: Really clear, awsome pics. Funny... You use the exact termination knot that I just went to after using a bowline for years. My buddy Scott Claggett just suffered a career-ending fall a few months ago when his bowline termination knot came untied.

I've worn Wescos, Whites, and the White in-house brand Buffalos. They're all real solid boots. My favorite pair ever was a spring heel Wesco flyweight caulked boot, made around 1990...still have them and if I still worked in the woods they'd be due for a rebuild, though still giving the limited service I need from them these days of my retirement.

For my money, Wescos are more effective at keeping your feet dry than White's or Buffalos. Otherwise, it's a wash. But as noted by others, if you don't have the brains and patience to take care of them, dry them gently when they get wet and oil them very regularly, you are wasting money getting them. Sort of like buying a Jaguar, but then never changing the oil :D.

If you're going to spend big money to spend two weeks/ week (70 hours a week) in them, might as well get them customer built.

I spend as little time in my wescos as reasonably possible. Only while spur climbing (great), never on the ground working as much as I can reasonably avoid it, due to the heel. I had tall heel boot in the forest, and for that, great.

I used to live and die by Wescos. .....

These la sportiva serve a climber very COMFY from the ground to spurs to drinking beer after work.

Absolutely the most comfy I've had....though no shin protection.

f218e2fc0d2076da3eb31186d5164035.jpg

Wescos, rock for shure, Butch. Everybody knows that.

Scott: Really clear, awsome pics. Funny... You use the exact termination knot that I just went to after using a bowline for years. My buddy Scott Claggett just suffered a career-ending fall a few months ago when his bowline termination knot came untied.

Thanks Jed and all...... Ive been using the Anchor hitch for a long while and its my go 2 knot for termination.

Back