The Official Work Pictures Thread

Found this one from a while back, big oak in back garden, price was tight (as was the garden)
So I felled it, managed to rupture an underground sewer pipe of a nearby block of flats, there was tampons, and crap flowing into the garden!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 68
I threw a big one like that once and the concussion made the person across the street call the law on us.

PPE.JPG Well these guys had it going on today! lol, they were working across from us. No PPE what so ever! Not even any safety cones nothing! They were trying to stuff 8" logs through the poor little BC600! funny to watch! Numb numbs

Wow. That's a whole lot of guys it seems like there to fill a little truck with. I'm guessing/hoping treework isn't their usual gig. Rented chip maybe?

Amazes me when I see crews/companies running like that and I think of how hard I've worked to streamline my outfit for optimum efficiency. I often can't help thinking the customer pays more to use an inefficient company like that and the 'contractor' must make less because of all the mouths to feed(wages).

Wow. That's a whole lot of guys it seems like there to fill a little truck with. I'm guessing/hoping treework isn't their usual gig. Rented chip maybe?

Amazes me when I see crews/companies running like that and I think of how hard I've worked to streamline my outfit for optimum efficiency. I often can't help thinking the customer pays more to use an inefficient company like that and the 'contractor' must make less because of all the mouths to feed(wages).

Ha ha, yeah 6 in total! Landscrapers and they had a logo on the little BC600....quite comical watching them! Your right, very inefficient! No roof on the box, chips flying allover the road. Very professionally hackfully done!

Dang, Mark - it looked like you had plenty of room to rope that stuff conventionally. I must be missing something.

There's a lot of scrapers that dabble in treework around here. Kinda gets my goat a bit but I usually just swallow that and still hand out a card and shake some hands and let them know when they run up against something they can't handle they can always send the customer my way. I've gotten a number of referrals that way and often for big or halfways difficult trees which is where the money is.

I hear what you're saying Jay. Some people, the right person, with time and experience can develop a feel for a piece of machinery that a computer never will. It's a cumulative effect of a tight crew of capable guys that can routinely and safely pull off what most would consider to be insane.

I'm not advocating people do silly things. But I hear what Jay is saying. And having known him for many years now over the interwebs I highly doubt he's doing any silly things.
This.

There's a lot of scrapers that dabble in treework around here. Kinda gets my goat a bit but I usually just swallow that and still hand out a card and shake some hands and let them know when they run up against something they can't handle they can always send the customer my way. I've gotten a number of referrals that way and often for big or halfways difficult trees which is where the money is.

Best part is when they call because they have started a tree and had to give up.
We finished a Lombardy poplar once, where the climber had bailed out and been so scared he left his climbing rope in it:lol:

On the crane computer thing -

Most of the cranes we used to hire just had the weight warning bell. The 'computer' was the operators judgement - and the tree mans ability to judge the weight of what he's cuttig.

Newer cranes though, have a lot of safety lockouts and the lift computer will give you a very accurate lift capability of the SWL for a given outreach, leg position etc.
I'm sorry, but if I see you disconnecting that system, I'm walking away. once your over the SWL of the machine, you're into unknown territory, and the potential for expensive damage goes up exponentially. The video below shows what happens when you overide the computer. The picture is me taking a big pick with a 25 year old 45 tonne crane. The owner operator is Maurice Sutton, Reg Coats' best craning buddy. I estimated the pick at just under 4 tonnes. It rang the alarm and weighed 4.2 tonnes. Maurice was at full reach and gently eased it back into the SWL. But he's 65 years old and been driving cranes since he was 16.
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gbmpNtO-cd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attachments

• 20130108_115449.jpg
    20130108_115449.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20130108_115507.jpg
    20130108_115507.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 20130108_102706.jpg
    20130108_102706.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 95
y5y3a4yn.jpg

ra3y6udy.jpg

This awaits me for early next week. Another beaver tree. You can see the snow covered stump of the last one we did right there. Favors the bridge and the creek. Obviously no equipment access. Bridge is a foot bridge and the stream is salmon bearing. Good times in the snow!

Back