The Official Work Pictures Thread

Burnam got most of it. Add tight crotchs with included bark that sheer off on targets like a magnet. Wood fiber that holds on for dear life. Large and sharp bark platelets that are grabby on rope.
Multi lead off every lead of multi leads. Like a gift that keeps on giving.
Yellow pine family.
Got some nice cones, though.
Not that I would like to be hit in the head by a green one.

Sounds like a treat!

So I think you are saying they are quite strong yet also regularly subject to storm damage which seems ironic and reminds me of shagbark hickory- very strong yet does get storm-broken limbs and lose crotches. Perhaps the high strength also yields inflexibility and hence storm damage.
Or, if you look at the structure, those leads will grow super long and just exceed what their fiber structure or attachment will handle. Sometimes they may have a better attatchment, the lead will grow out and out and just twist over. Still attatched by the fibers, 60 plus feet of leader is now on the ground or house. I had 90 footers out back just break out at their attatchment points. Goofy buggers.
But, straight trunks were often made into rail road ties during mining days since they were so tuff.
But Ive seen 4x4 and 6x6 cork screw when dried.
If you can screw it down right away, you can get some good trailer planking for equipment trailers. 3x planks.
Grow fast. Live maybe 100 years and have a 4-5 foot dbh
Yeah Stig, those cones are killer.

Wow, all of that looks great, @BIGTWIG! I'm a sucker for bright colors; especially in colored lighting. LEDs have changed the game. Just make sure they don't flash at seizure induction frequencies! Not sure if you can control the frequency, but that's always something to consider for parades. Looks slow enough in those videos to me. =-D

When I started my tree business in 1985, we pretty much took any kind of tree-related work we could get. My first wife and I built these retaining walls around 1986 or so. The developer hired us to save these two Live oaks. One was getting about three feet of fill around it and the other a four foot cut. I designed the layout and made them as big as I could get away with. There's a drain system incorporated into the well. The wood was a special order from a local mill. It's lasted quite well and is still solid. Pics were from last week. The trees still look good too.

IMG_3905.jpg IMG_3906.jpg IMG_3908.jpg

Different kind of rigging than the webbing slings. These you tie on allowing for much better stabilization of the pick. Spider leg balancing is the term I was taught but I think they’ve changed the name since then. I had a set spliced out of t-rex but the tags came off with the first use. They weren’t technically rated for lifting either. Wesspur tested theirs using a cow hitch as the termination and then set the ratings. To me it’s worth the money for that tag.

Back