The Official Work Pictures Thread

Way faster and easier than negative-blocking down a stem with heart rot or
Swinging chunks to the neighboring stem.

I had the time to move down two rounds lengths on the stem and do 80% of the next cut, while the dropped chunk below was moved out. When the dropzone was clear, I cut a little more and dropped it. Rinse and repeat.

Glad I didn't clip the Alturnamats. Would have been worth the time savings if I broke one.

Yeah so no noteworthy pics but I'll post here anyway. Took down a $10k tree today (which is alot for me), well that one plus a smaller adjacent one, used a 60t with 150' boom to reach it from the neighbor's driveway which we had permission for but oh by the way the neighbor lost his shit when he saw the tree parts were being processed in and around his driveway, he thought the crane was just going to park in his drive sans outriggers down and sans his driveway being the LZ. Alrighty then.

Anyway, reason I'm posting is cuz I love treework like all the rest of ya and I feel like I met a serious tree man today.

Because I had smelled a rat about this job re the neighbor, I didn't want to be stuck up in the tree in case there were problems on the ground ( yes very prescient, lol) so I hired a local climber with a good rep from another local company and his two groundies cuz they come as a team.

They showed up on time arriving in their chip truck with chipper, the climber driving. The rig looked about like it had been rolled over multiple times off of a high cliff... mostly every square inch battered, mauled or ripped. Alrighty then, we got some hard core tree guys here... :rockhard: ;) . They start laughing more or less hysterically while they're still in the cab as they and the crane op start hurling insults in spanish back and forth at each other, they are all bi- or tri-lingual and they have done alot of trees together over the years. I'm taking it all in and when i hop up on the running board to introduce myself to the climber and I see he has a pony tail roughly down to his waist. He probably weighed 150, 5'7" tall, Mexican.

This climber survived a 60' fall out of a tree 4 or 5 y ago, he slipped while free climbing. The crane op, who is has done literally thousands of crane tree removals and is the best I've ever used, frequently describes this climber as fearless.

Well the bottom line is that this climber did a fantastic job today, very smooth, skilled, methodical and calm. He also cleaned up an adjacent 90' 3 leader pepperidge of nasty vines in one of the leaders, made it really shine after getting a crane ride to the top.

He climbs 5-6 days/week. His gear is super duper old school, except for the Sena's the crane op loaned him. Namely, a 150' hi viz orange safety blue climb line, double half hitched to a large steel auto locking biner and good ol taut line hitch (no split tail ). Old school Buckingham leg strap 4 D saddle with 'floating bridge' ( is that what you call it?) with steel core flip line with friction cord prussic. Did his cuts with a 201 with 14" bar (too short imo!) and a beat up Echo with 20" bar for the bigger cuts.

He had a very humble demeanor and was inspiring to have OTJ. Near the end of the day I spotted him hauling on his shoulder a huge log that had somehow escaped the chipper. He was quite obviously there to work in whatever capacity he was needed.

So with the glaring exception of the neighbor's foaming at the mouth, it was fun day.

Moved wood to the road and ground stumps till 7 after guys left at 3.30.

Last edited:
I'm glad you think so cuz I was trying to convey the moving emotions I felt today.

Lol, you shoulda seen me the day Mark Chisholm showed up one day years ago to knock out a very tricky storm damage tree. I was beside myself, lol.

Mark, like this climber, was a smooth running machine, though he was much more hi tech re his gear.

Thanks Gerry! High praise coming from the undisputed king of treework-writing :rockhard:

Yes , I definitely and instantly thought of MB as I was taking in this fella's gear set up.

Last edited:
that is so cool you have a crane and are running it, do you wonder how you got by without one?

Nice move leaving the saw hanging at the next cut, makes for easier moving

No Cory, I know how I got by with out one. I worked way to damn hard every day😆. I’m enjoying running it but miss being on the other end of it as well. Cameron is adapting quite well. He learned to leave the saw hang from me. It makes sense if you’re going right back to the same spot or close. He’s also got a good eye for setting the spider legs. I had to do very little adjusting after pretensioning. We were spot on today.

Got a call from a customer in my neighborhood.

3 trees in the way of construction equipment access to a newly purchased property.

Madrona is very hard wood, and leaning, Always. I was using an Echo 2511t, so triangled the holding wood, cutting off the corners.

One of the people involved has access to a Mobile Dimensions mill, so he is getting saw logs and firewood.

2 basic doug fir removals.

Ezpz afternoon instead of maintenance.

Spotted a tall fir with Phellinus pini heart rot right next to the neighbor's new house. The neighbors cleared a lot of the space. This heart rot fir is now an "edge"/ "remnant" tree.
Has to go, along with a few others, soon.
3 miles from home base.
20220414_152328.jpg 20220414_145148.jpg

Ran into an old-timer today I had not seen for at least ten years. Richard Vorous is 70 years old, been climbing for 50 years. He is a bit of a loner. Always worked solo, and today was no exception. Should have gotten a photo. He was positioning a 40 ft ladder in a river birch to do some light pruning. Judging from his gear I think he is still using his saddle from about 1990!
We had a nice chat remembering some of the other tree rats who are no longer with us. I told him how David had gotten two new kidneys and a liver and was back to climbing daily at 66 years old. I told him ‘yes’ when he asked if David was still doing work for Winterthur (DuPont estate which is now a museum and extensive gardens). I recall how impressed I was just starting out when I saw Richard treat and prune a row of street trees that were infested and how they are still living.
I said he should call me if he needs a hand, and with a smile on his face he just said, “Sure thing Pat”, as he has the past 40 years.

I don’t expect I’ll get a call.

We had some 80km/h wind gusts over the last few days with a spring snowstorm and it got me thinking of a split ash tree I "cabled" a couple years ago. The HO called me on a summer Sunday afternoon saying their daughter could hear the tree creaking in the wind and there was concern about it falling on the neighbor's house. I'd previously given this tree the once over with the removal of a bigger broken hanger and was excited to climb it again. I didn't really have a gameplan and made some weird decisions but everything turned out in the end.

I contacted the HO yesterday and they said eveything still looks hunky dory. 2 minute video. Nothing fancy just a treejob.

Snap cuts save that 1 handing on the chunks, and you are braver than I climbing that without pulling it back together! I use a 3/4 ton chain come along usually, works great, and then you know it's good.

Snap cuts greatly minimize holding wood.

My goal is to hold wood as little as possible.

Snap cuts allow you to push and aim without bearing weight in the shown scenario.

If you are one-handing, stay away from the nose and push the saw away, rather than back chain toward yourself.

Went up to the neighboring Petersburg District today to provide some training with bucking blowdowns. We had a bad storm back in November that really messed up one of the trails. We should finish up tomorrow with the major stuff but the giant root wads lifted several areas that will require a fair bit of fill to repair in order to make it wheel chair accessible again. Some pictures to show the mess.
IMG_20220419_110240_HDR.jpg IMG_20220419_134955_HDR.jpg IMG_20220419_130734_HDR.jpg IMG_20220419_135920_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Back