The Official Work Pictures Thread

What do you do exactly? Clearing jobs? Logging? Everything? That looks like a big ass tree muncher.

He's lucky the homeowner accepted. I would have settled for no less than a highly valuable sum of money for someone to cut down my quadruple walnut tree.

A big part of the success is picking the right species. and second is continuing with a regular program of keeping it hedged down. At least every 10 years you should hedge it.

If you do nothing at all, after the hard work, the most vigorous individuals will go apical dominate and you'll end up with broken treeline instead of a hedgerow.

Thx for the wiki, Lxs

Very interesting, I had no clue.

One Q I had from the pic is did he do all that with no saw? From wiki it sounds like maybe no saw but from the pic I think I see a few small stumps. But maybe those were hacked off in one axe-swipe.

Reactions: Jed
Lots of baby trees! Looks awesome! What’s the life expectancy of the hedge?
In theory they can go on forever due to the ability to coppice it and having new growth to go on. This hedge was particularly thick and laid well for him. Working over the years with him, it's always surprised me how much you cut out but not so in this case. Management is required to stop the growth getting old and brittle and then breaking off. The ditch/brook line is a boundary between two counties hence the picture of him with a foot in each!

Back