The Official Work Pictures Thread

Keeps you alive. I want to be doing work when I'm 80. I want it to be work I want to do, but that isn't much different than now. I can't afford being very picky at 53.

So does other things, like fishing, hunting or shooting, golf or swimming, travel, sailing, building craft things like baby steam engines, volunteering and charity work, basically anything but still earning a paycheck. I love my job and i love doing trees, but they are both straight up work, and I've had some absolutely miserable work experiences over the years. Most people working that late in life that i know have to keep working usually because they didn't have the funds available in retirement to simply do just about anything they want. I want to retire and then do the stuff that I've dreamed about my whole life, enjoy my family and friends, and truly live like i might not get to one day.

I'm 64. The Time is somewhere there in the offing.

Winning against the myriad daily challenges of treework can be addicting. Those challenges, imo, are very significant so overcoming them is also very meaningful, imo.

So one's life may be seen as worthy even if it is little known.

So do you keep doing that stuff adinfinitum or do you call it a career at some point and move on to other, hopefully meaningful challenges, pretty much what 09 says above.

Does make you wonder how you will react to suddenly being separated from all those daily challenges you've been butting heads with since '77

I don't consider "work" earning a paycheck. Ideally that's secondary, and I'm almost there where I could walk away any time. When you can do that, it's amazing how little work feels like work. I don't have dreams. Anything I want to do I can do today. I dream of fall and winter. So far, they come every year; mostly. I guess when they don't, I can dream of picking up, and moving out.

edit:
I like the physical labor, and the day I can't do it, I'd just as soon be dead. I have zero interest in going to a gym, and working equipment like a hamster. I *don't* like pointless labor, especially when you can accomplish something for the effort.

Last edited:
Most of the time, if I’ve sat very long hunting, I wish I was working. I love it.

My buddy has a Peterbilt tractor with a flatbed, he mostly hauls huge tents for a tent company. That work can be very seasonal and feast/famine. He's in FL in Boca Raton, a very beautiful area. He too loves paddle boarding but when he hasn't worked sometimes in 3 weeks, he says it really sucks. He goes paddleboarding but it can be boring going out alone.

I tell him he needs a bumper sticker for his paddle board: "I'd rather be Working" :lol: :dude:

I'd get to stir crazy not working. Sure there are projects around the house. But I'll keep my hand in it till the grave if I can help it.

Tried to get some pictures of the inside of the canopy on that prune I did. I think I need more of a fish eye... having a hard time with the lighting as well. Better visual being there. IMG_0615.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0611.JPG

Pic #2(two posts ago) shows the structure nicely, and it looks better shaded imo.

edit:
added clarification.

Test pull, thinning previously topped trees. No west coast logging but it sure beats lugging brush and logs up a steep hill
20211015_132619.jpg 20211015_133943.jpg 20211015_135558.jpg

20211015_125853.jpg
Picture of the handle hang for saws. Works ok with the 2511, but the angled side handle isn't ideal. 355/201/ even 550 hangs with the bar pointing more forwards.

Nothing to open on my Shembiner, but Sven does the same hang using a caritool. Thumb the gate open and lift. We use this up to 50 cc saws.

Re work and retirement posts above, many or most mornings I'm like fook this shite, and then after work I"m like That was amazing

:/: :|::?

I haven't had a truly bad day in awhile. Speaking in terms of dreading going to work. Shit sucks sometimes, but that's why they call it work I guess. Get it done, and move on.

This tree had a big raccoon in the large hollow located near and a bit above the right side chimney in the first pic.

It's response to the whole process was to stay put at all costs. We picked his leader and landed it in the road, cut off the brush and moved log over to log pile. He stayed in his hollow for about an hour while we worked on the rest of the tree and an adjacent locust. Then the groundie noticed, out of the corner of his eye, some movement and looked up to see the critter running up the front steps of custy's house and in thru the open front door.... :/:

Turns out every room in the custy's house is filled more or less floor to ceiling with junk. That coon must think he discovered raccoon heaven in there. I doubt he'll ever leave.:dude:

When I saw the first picture, my reaction was, I sure hope, he had a crane for that.
Would have been a true bitch of a job without.

Back