The Official Work Pictures Thread

It is sad when one is ‘suddenly mortal’. One of my best friends died in an auto 🚘 accident. We had done so many things together: working, hiking, long discussions on philosophy and life, dating the women,… That void is still hard to accept.

Finished up a 4 day job for a childhood friend. Three large Maples and a Pin Oak. All that he wanted taken down (house had been hit 2x in past 5 years by other Maples), 3 of 4 days me and only one guy; Day 3 had 2 ground guys on Oak and start to big Maple:

80' Pin Oak:
Oak_b4.jpg

Side-by-side, ~70', twin stem Maples, each of which leaned towards house:

twin_maples_b4.jpg

Big Maple in back yard, ~85' at tips, with lots leaning towards house and hanging over Firs:

big_maple_b4.jpg

After day one of side by side Maples and final flush cut pic:

2_maples_day_1.jpg

2_maples_gone.jpg

Convinced him to keep Oak, so gave it a big haircut:

Oak_prune.jpg

Then finished up day 3 ( 2 brush monkeys) getting as much of big maple (34" DBH; 2 trailers of unchippable wood) over Firs and neighbor's yard:

big_maple_day_1.jpg

Maple had rot in split stems going 12' up, so good call on him to have me take down (he lives on top of small mountain next to valley, where 40-80 mph winds are common:

big_maple_stump.jpg

big_maple_flush_cut.jpg

Last edited:
Partially aesthetic, partially deadwood. Tree hadn't been pruned in over 30 years and looked very lopsided (see day one Maples pic; they had sheltered one side, so not much grew there), plus the lower limbs taken off were intertwined with lots of dead limbs as well (that big lower one in the first picture had 5 15+ foot dead ones in it, all 5"+ at the base; that lead was 19" at the tree and was cracked as well).. Custy was very happy with the outcome, as was the other half who controls the purse strings.

Last edited:
98B023C2-B9BE-47E5-B8A8-A1EE289C4707.jpeg
Well since I’m not estimating near as much I’m doing a lot more climbing. Wish I would’ve been the estimator on this one. One side of the codom is dead and crispy. Other side fine. I’ve got it brushed out and letting the ground crew catch up before rigging the wood down. Also still trying to figure how he planned on getting the wood over the 5’ high chain link fence to get it out. Good crew though. We will embrace the suck and get it done

B99A6781-0D22-42D5-B949-1E47C729938B.jpeg
View attachment 114637
Well since I’m not estimating near as much I’m doing a lot more climbing. Wish I would’ve been the estimator on this one. One side of the codom is dead and crispy. Other side fine. I’ve got it brushed out and letting the ground crew catch up before rigging the wood down. Also still trying to figure how he planned on getting the wood over the 5’ high chain link fence to get it out. Good crew though. We will embrace the suck and get it done

Like this?
Here’s where the knockabout is better than the fixed grab.

That’s what I’m gonna try Mick. Using a mini skid though so my lift arms might be the limiting factor. We shall see in a bit. Lunch time and 40’ of spar (live side) to bring down.

Can you unhook the chain link from the top rail and lay down a section big enough to walk through the fence? Usually just takes pliers to untwist the wire ties holding it together.

@cory
I had a good tie in behind me on the live section of the codom. It wasn’t ideal but made it doable. Break away lanyard is case the dead side broke loose under rigging loads.
reaching over with the mini and BMG worked. It was a reach but it worked. Had to keep the pieces small though. Found out that I couldn’t curl on a few of them and had to cut smaller. Added a few cord of hickory to my wood pile tonight😎

Back