The Official Work Pictures Thread

I'm pretty jazzed by your videos Cory! Cool to see those big southern hardwoods

Thanks! But Maine has plenty of elms, no? Idk, maybe I'm dreaming.

But regarding tulips, which are very common here, I just realized I don't think I've ever seen on in Maine.

Playing with triple hinges lately.

Leaning willow toward the orchard/ garden, over the fence.

Tree material will end up in a hugelkultur.

Lots of pole saw widdling (Kombi with 3 extensions), one face cut/ backcut at 20'+, until it was narrow enough to go sideways.

Pretensioned with the Maasdam rope puller in a 2:1 through a natural crotch...medium tension. Hoped for more elastic rebound in the 3-strand with the 2:1.

Cut to that point and a hand pull to finish. 20210522_113109.jpg 20210522_123312.jpg 20210522_124121.jpg 20210522_124322.jpg

Last pic... pointing at a little vertical fracture at the front of the hinge. I could see it across the top of the hinge, but didn't take a picture.

Landed where faced.

See, I gotta love/hate now (after my dreaded sizwill fail) with all of this trick-cut stuff, and (just to fly my flag) I happen to be of the opinion that the whole business does next to nothing, or is even detrimental.
I, like Burnham, am utterly perplexed at watching a man with Corey’s enviable size, (who could happily be swinging a six pound Collins) content to deftly tap away at a tiny wedge with a tinier hammer. We the perpetually frustrated, must always bang our guts out with the biggest tools within our reach, because we are perpetually mad at the world that the demonic gods have caused to fall to this extent. The ninja-like dexterity that is content to massage-over some perfectly cut hinge, completely eludes us.

Last edited:
Jed, I thought you were having good luck with the 3H except for that one fence that got eaten on a job that was going 2x faster than was bid. So I would think that if a cut which is understood to involve some risk and trickeration whenever it is used, goes bad 10% of the time, then it does indeed have some usefulness? Just gotta know when that 1 in 10 shot is going to come up :|:

The first two pictures are early April, before the ivy had leafed out. The ivy was ~12’ in diameter through the canopy, petering out ~10’ from the top.

I can see that. I’ve climbed them though when you couldn’t touch the trunk without touching it though. Daniel allergic to it? Can’t imagine it was cool enough to warrant that wardrobe!

I can see that. I’ve climbed them though when you couldn’t touch the trunk without touching it though. Daniel allergic to it? Can’t imagine it was cool enough to warrant that wardrobe!

He wrote it on a whim, turned out to be advantageous.

I’m glad I didn’t have to climb that tree, I left 4-6’ stubs from the lift, then peeled the ivy back with the ex for trimming the stubs on the ground.

Reactions: Jed
Zero soil and 80+foot spruce= job security. Set pretty hard into that oak, and leaning towards a camp. 5:1 pulling a 3:1 helped free the branch lock, and acted as a nice retainer line too.

Rest of the day was unglamorous dead spruce felling and dicing, nice to mix in some more technical stuff too

20210524_102735.jpg

Attachments

• 20210524_103030.jpg
    20210524_103030.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
Sean: Man you and Sven do some nice work on some messed up jobs.

Carl: Did you cut that rad hinge up? How you liking the five-hundo?

Stig: You are TOO funny man! Wow.

Beergeek: Man yer puttin up some WORK brother.

Corey: “Trickeration”.😂😂😂... Dude... in all honesty I have never even bothered to cut up a 3h in my life. My big lament was over the Sizwill (fence-smasher).You know how it is when you think that you can take something to the bank? And then she lets you down?… That was what happened to me with the Sizwill.

Had a double resi-send today.😂. Got a back leaner yer too scared to pull? No problem... just tie er to the head-leaner and send er out.😂

36” handle on axe. Oops... sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
Corey: “Trickeration”.😂😂😂... Dude... in all honesty I have never even bothered to cut up a 3h in my life. My big lament was over the Sizwill (fence-smasher).You know how it is when you think that you can take something to the bank? And then she lets you down?… That was what happened to me with the Sizwill.

Had a double resi-send today.😂. Got a back leaner yer too scared to pull? No problem... just tie er to the head-leaner and send er out.😂

Jedidiah (Smith)-

Lol trickeration but the funniest thing basically ever was in treeson's recent vid where y'all were having lunch and all the guys were eating lettuce-filled, plastic "salad tubes" and they were like what about you Jed and you hold up your half eaten apple and say," no just 'conventional' ".. :lol:

I hear ya on the sizwell, sorry thought it was the 3h. But if she let ya down, maybe you should court the 3H for a bit.

The dub resi-send sounds rad, did ya have a rope on the head leaner?

I've done that with cabled trunks/stems, sweet stuff fo sho.

Corey: Yeah man it’s pretty fun. Yeah I was dumb/scared enough to actually go through the bother of hanging a stable braid 3/4 in that pig to yard it over with the bucket if I had to. As it was... she went with a few wedge cracks on the back leaner. Fun job.

Back