The Official Work Pictures Thread

I assume it means a block suspended from two or 3 different ropes in multiple different trees. To let you put the belay point exactly where you need it.

to my understanding when you skyhook a tree it just means you place a lowering line high in another tree and tie it to the tree to be cut's top and then chunk it out from the ground up as the other tree keeps it upright

Yep, that is gin poling. Skyhook is what we call an “M” style rig, or two-tree gin poling. I’ll place a line up through strong section of first oak, across to other oak tree, with the belly hanging low to attach the cherry between them. Tighten up and cut the cherry loose and lower it as you work up it slicing and dicing.
I’ll take photos.

Anyone here from Cali every mess with live oak ? Quercus wislizeni var. frutsens is the genus , just curious as to the split-a-bility of it thanks

Split it before you cure it. Splits better green but can be stringy in the fibres if it has plenty of moisture when you felled it. Good BTUs. About all anyone wants down here unless they get spoiled with CA black oak. Less ash, but less btu too. But folks love burning it because of the less ash aspect.

Ok thanks ! Guy out in Cali commented on my channel - guess he’s got a 42” (at stump) by 21’ft piece he’s getting for free ... Here in wny I deal with red oak which splits nicely, I got the impression from him the live oak was a pita to split

Hedge apple burns like coal but isn’t too common here in wny ... It seems like they don’t get very girthy around here either ... the few times I was fortunate enough to get some the largest diameter was about 18”

Small job this morning , Blow-down wny ash ... broke about 16’ from the ground and was hollowed quite a ways ... Interestingly enough, the 16’ spar that was felled was solid as can be and will make for some excellent ash firewood ! 3BABD8F3-6091-4FB3-A14A-1E6A2EBE9010.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B0EE936-70EE-45F7-9F05-DCBA5788E3E7.jpeg
    0B0EE936-70EE-45F7-9F05-DCBA5788E3E7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • CFED5375-C01E-4734-BCC2-BE46C58D3009.jpeg
    CFED5375-C01E-4734-BCC2-BE46C58D3009.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Thanks Jed! In this upscale gated community there are literally hundreds of ash that are dead/dying that need to be felled by saw or Mother Nature will eventually take care of them “her” way ... I’ve already done 1/2 doz that have succumbed to high winds and smashed fences into oblivion. The EAB , an invasive pest that was most likely introduced through infested wood via overseas shipping containers, has really done a number on 99% of them! ... We had some fun today running saws and tomorrow we will split into a pile ... I foresee a much leaner , stronger more vigorous Frankie with the workout that’s to come ... @Jonny ,the ported 395xp is calling your name, looks like a few will need your experience/expertise - remember to bring ear plugs 8)

Back