The Official Work Pictures Thread

Wow, I bet you gals slept well that night! Really great work.đź‘Ť

2 hours???
...yeah...is that fast or slow...?
We did some other chipping first, one hour on that...then relocated to those trees, two hrs there...so a bit of move and set up time, and a pause for water and a gossip in the middle...
Small job but really nice people and they made us a really nice bang up lunch after!

Tony wanted to try to gain some experience on face cuts back cuts ... I figured the spar wood be good ... Did ok except for the end... should let the saw go and got the hell outta dodge ... ...

I see a lot of guys stick a wedge or an axe into the backcut kerf to monitor movement. Might be a good idea for your buddy to try.

I see a lot of guys stick a wedge or an axe into the backcut kerf to monitor movement. Might be a good idea for your buddy to try.
Wedges for the win ! There was about 16ft of tree remaining after the wind snapped off the top ... Figured it would be good practice for him as he wanted to try his hand. The issue is that he should have let go of the saw as soon as the tree began to fall and not try to “save it” Saws can be replaced - People cannot ... 90% of the accidents/fatalities occur within 5ft of the tree within 15 sec of the tree beginning it’s fall thus the “5-15-90” rule ... I wouldn’t allow him to attempt a dead 60foot ash - no way no how ... gotta remember that sometimes a dead pc can break off the crown during the process ... If you are trying to free the saw and a heavy limb falls , hard hat or not , you gonna f’n get one ! I’ve actually had the maasdam rigged up at 40ft only to give give a few cranks only to have the rotted top snap off ! You have to be careful with any tree but EAB infested dead ash can be especially troublesome as the innards can be compromised

... I don’t need no stinking hydraulic splitter :) ... 6ft 235lbs of devastation using a Fiskars 8lb maul ... Fiskars released a 6lb maul with slightly different head geometry, when available I’m definitely getting one ... For the price the Fiskars axe , mauls and sledge are tough to beat - plus they offer a lifetime warranty! Are there better axes and mauls made ? For sure ... but plan on spending 2-3x the coin

Last edited:
Eh, you're right, he had a tiny one, with possible dutchmen on each side. I'm not blind. I've also made the same mistakes before too, so it's simply constructive criticism for your buddy. That's how he stuck the saw in the first place.
Screenshot_20201126-103309_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wh
... I don’t need no stinking hydraulic splitter :) ... 6ft 235lbs of devastation using a Fiskars 8lb maul ... Fiskars released a 6lb maul with slightly different head geometry, when available I’m definitely getting one ... For the price the Fiskars axe , mauls and sledge are tough to beat - plus they offer a lifetime warranty! Are there better axes and mauls made ? For sure ... but plan on spending 2-3x the coin

Whats with cutting the half way?

That’s cheating where I come from.

I have one of those mauls, I haven't used it yet cuz my Depot 8 lb maul is so fine. I am eager to see if it is better than a basic maul.

Those pieces look like good splitting, is the 1/2 rip with a saw really worth it? I've never tried it.

Splitting is so cool8):)

I can noodle em faster than I can split em with the Hotwoods 572xp and a ground “noodlin chain” ... On some timber a bar width is sufficient , on others 1/3 to 1/2 way will just about guarantee a split with the Fiskars maul... you can also use wedges and sledgehammer but I found this method to be the most efficient time wise ... There ended up being just over 2 face cord from this tree and Anthony and I were able to fell the remainder , buck it all up and hand-split it all in just under 3hrs ... I let him run the 572xp and he wants one now :D ... IF we were doing 3-4 trees this size (6-8 face total) then F the handsplitting , SuperSplit time ... Just so y’all know HL chainsaw supply has the 572xp delivered to your door for $750 PHO no tax , Black Friday special ... That purty darn cheep for a new PRO saw of this caliber !!! ... I’ve got this 572xp making some serious torque with excellent fuel economy with my mods and my turnaround time is very quick usually 2weeks or less ... It’s gotta be the smoothest saw I’ve ever run especially if you are cutting hours on end

Wh

Whats with cutting the half way?

That’s cheating where I come from.
Next time you are in NY come see me and I’ll let you split all the shagbark hickory you want the “non-cheating” way :)

Eh, you're right, he had a tiny one, with possible dutchmen on each side. I'm not blind. I've also made the same mistakes before too, so it's simply constructive criticism for your buddy. That's how he stuck the saw in the first place.
View attachment 105304
If you watch the video and slow it down you will see the tree “sit back” twice before going in the intended direction of fall ... a wedge driven into the back cut “wood” have prevented this

Noodling chain = ripping chain? What are the angle changes relative to a regular chain, got a pic maybe?

Does HL have 576s? What do you think of 576s?

Back