The Official Work Pictures Thread

My hearing has deteriorated, if it's from the saws and chippers I don't know, personally I doubt it.

I find certain people impossible to understand on the phone, its embarrassing just repeating "I can't hear you, speak up please" my sisters husband is one in particular, as soon as he passes the phone to her it's fine.

IMG_20170629_194835057_HDR.jpg IMG_20170629_194843542_HDR.jpg IMG_20170630_153157602.jpg IMG_20170630_175459469.jpg

Started this yesterday, all chipped and raked, most of the firewood is cut.

My bearings came for the Boxer. Hope to get them installed in the morning.

I think I'll rip the butt log and crotch-filled log in order to make them loadable at full length.

Just caught up...what an amazing run of pictures!!
Welcome to the new guy Rico...fack, I thought I knew windblow, being from a hurricane country but WOW, that thing you are sitting on :O !
Last dig at safety stuff, (I'm the girl so I'm allowed)...I truly hope you get to the end of your career with two functioning eyes, ears and noggin :)

Man, Sean... You and Rico are stealing all my glory... and I'm lovin every minute of it. :rockon: (Well, Rich always does, but I've somehow found it in my heart to forgive him.) Gotta love a topped Maple though. Maple's been the Tree du jour lately.

Re, the safety thing: Yeah... I NEVER wore safety glasses, till I smacked the crap out of my eye with my climb line... Traumatic Hyphema... basically means you get blood under the lense of yer eye... thought I'd severed the optic nerve... scared the deuce out of me... blind in one eye for four days. That'll scare an inbred Jed very much indeed. Weird how much yer eyes matter. Still... I, for one, salute Rico's valor. I HATE the restrictions of safety crap. Just hate it. i Do wear my hardhat like a religion. Got struck in the head today by a quite biggish Maple limb. Knocked my hat clean to the ground. Heard this story about a couple brother's from Maple Valley... old fallers gone arb... they never wore hard hats... the one brother struck his younger bro in the head with a smallish little stick. The "injured," guy was laughing it off, cussing his brother out, and that... anyways: Next morning the little bro just blacked-out while he was brushing his teeth before work... (I know... I know... How could any faller from Maple Valley actually be accused of brushing his teeth EVER.) but anyways... he blacked out a little-bit after that, once again, later on... Jackass still wouldn't got to the doctor. Anyways... he was dead of a brain-hemmorage a short time later. Everybody was really sad. The guy (a Stihl man to his death) was an excellent race-saw-modder-guy... all these guys got together to go to his funeral... in short... The guy Emmett who told me this story was really ticked that the guy wasn't wearing his hard-hat. Still... gotta be a guy's own choice, imho... God knows were all gonna die.

Re, the Square-grind/square hand-file bit... Man! I gotta learn howta shoot up a vid here pretty quick. I gotta really cool way of howta hog-out a ton of gullet with the round file, and then hit the top and side plates with the square (Triangle or double-bevel, makes no dif.) to put the dirtiest little edge on it you've ever even SEEN. Sam: Yessir... the square edge is much more durable than the round, because the round, when it's filed to cut REALLY, really well, like Brian does, leaves the chisel angle with a CONCAVE, structure, whereas, the square, leaves the chisel angle (not to be confused with Top Plate Angle) with a more rigid, flat structure, thus sustaining the durabuility to a much greater extent.

Anyways... back to our Maple trees... Just a BEAUTIFUL little Maplewood to work in today...

unnamed-1402.jpg

Wish you guys coulda been there...

unnamed-1401.jpg

Crazy pigs though, look... unnamed-1398.jpg unnamed-1399.jpg

This one was dang-near four foot on the stump...

unnamed-1400.jpg unnamed-1403.jpg unnamed-1397.jpg

O.k.... ok... the last pic is one from a Maple-prune that I threw-in from yesterday... man, you guys are a tough crowd. Gimme a break.

I didn't wear a skullbucket until I took a good knock on my noggin.

Yea, Jed - it's quite weird how important our eyes are.

I hope you are getting a little bit of this very gentle nudging, Rico.

We are not any sort of "holler at you about how wrong you are" tree climbing forum here. We are pros, like you, with more combined experience than there are stars in the sky.

All we want is to let you know what all that experience has taught us, too often the hard way. And that is, PPE in all it's forms is worth the effort, hassle, cost, and degradation of masculinity that accompanies it's use, every single day.

Plenty of examples of climbers and sawyers every bit as talented, skilled, and smart as you are who have paid the price for ignoring this premise....me included.

Glad to have you with us here in the TreeHouse. Let's keep it that way!

Jed, I hear bigleaf maple will be exiting our area. Have you been seeing a lot of BLM mortality in your neck of the woods? The scientists doesn't seem to have put their fingers on it, but know its bad news.

My hearing has deteriorated, if it's from the saws and chippers I don't know, personally I doubt it.

I find certain people impossible to understand on the phone, its embarrassing just repeating "I can't hear you, speak up please" my sisters husband is one in particular, as soon as he passes the phone to her it's fine.

You might have a certain range of hearing damage. My ex-girlfriend's mom couldn't hear her voice range well, but could very well hear the father's voice. Once my ex-gf said "Should I talk like dad" in a 'deep manly voice', and the mom could hear her fine.

Have you had your ears checked?

I would add that in the early days (well, my early days, the mid to late 90s) helmets, chainsaw trousers etc were regarded as rather sissy, plus the removal of the baffle on an 020 was obligatoire.

I still don't think I did that for long enough though.

I struggle to hear people in crowded bars these days and dislike driving at night, these are classic old peoples things.

My hearing is awesome: I just have to ignore the ringing.

I'm usually fantastically good an hearing something drop, like bolt, key, screw, or the like, and at the same time, my ears ring. I had my hearing tested a couple years ago, actually quite good.

I sometimes have trouble filtering out some loud background noise from someone's voice.

Yesterday, while milling, the other guy had my wood ported ms 660 running while I was a distance away and not ear plugs or muffs, as while milling. I was shocked at how loud the saw was. Felt bad for the neighbors. Maybe, rather than towels, I should offer neighbors ear plugs before beginning work. :lol:

My ears ring like no ones business.

Weirdly enough, I have problems the most at night and I wear ear plug to sleep. It sort of traps the tinnitus in there and rocks me to sleep with an internal humm! Without ear plugs it seems to keep me awake more.

I reckon my hearing was damaged standing next to Bass Bins and speaker stacks at raves in the 90's. Sawing certainly hasn't helped along with a damaged, perforated drum in my left ear.

I try to use the hearing protection most of the time apart from sketchy trees. I tend to have one up when I pushing the limits of the comfort zone. Maybe the extra sense makes me concentrate more or maybe I just want to be able to hear that sucker going in case of needing to bail out.

Earplugs amplify the effect too much for me.

I have to have the sound of a fan blowing to lull me off.

So have I and my hearing is pretty toasted.
It doesn't bear to think about how TOTALLY deaf I'd be if I hadn't bothered with protection.

Back