The Official Work Pictures Thread

That saw is 390,36" bar skip tooth 😆

Just got me a 390 and have never been more pleased with a bone-stock saw. I think all I'm gonna mod is the muff. I freakin LOVE that pig. I got full-house square grind on my 32", and it pulls like my 32" 660 with full skip. Man I love that thing. Can't wait to get the muffler hogged-out though.

Rich... Yeah... Reg and Auggie won me over on that stupid (on my part!) argument fer shure. Say... you've been gettin inta some PIGS lately.

Rico: I think I speak fer everyone up in here when I say PLEASE stick around brother... pretty please please please please please please. All our nor-cal guys are in Pine country (which is just fine, and don't nobody take any offense--I absolutely LOVE pondos... specially the really huge, old uns of course.) and we've got so few brothers in any real redwood country right at the moment. That, and the fact that you've taken on some MONSTER trees, sir. Thanks fer the pics.

Sam: Yeah! It's weird dealing with those guys, right??

Mick: Soooo..... agree 100% that it's daft? Or agree 100% that topping a tree would certainly reduce it's "windsail," potential. I don't think anyone would have any arguments with the latter, it's just... I dunno.... isn't topping stuff supposed to be kinda Arb-sacriledge or something? Not like I particularly care... I regularly kill beautiful trees because the owner felt like it was "making a mess." Just wanted to know your thoughts. Thanks.

Jed,
I'm not Mick but wanted to comment. I regularly kill beautiful trees as well but I'd rather kill a tree completely than permanently maim it and leave the evidence there for all to see. I also refuse to trim a tree in such a way that I know it will turn into a hazard in the future due to my pruning. If I hacked a tree on purpose and that tree eventually failed due to my hacking and injured somebody, I'd never be able to live with myself.

Whenever somebody tries to get me to hack something, I either turn it into a removal or I pass.

Ha I'm running square ground also,although I file it round 😖 that happened to be a new one out the box though 😉 I keep em outa the dirt with the full wrap handle👍

I went through a roll of square ground chain a few years back. Straight off the roll it was much slower cutting than my round filed chain and no matter how I tried I couldn't get it to cut faster filing it square. Not trying to brag but my round filed 3/8" skip chain cuts pretty darn fast and it's easy for me to file. Square ground is hard to find on the east coast anyway.

Square ground is hard to hand file for anyone, imo.

I can make it sing for several sharpenings, but long before there isn't tooth left, I'm not able to keep the intricate shape quite right. I can still make fast chips all the way until the chain is wasted, but not get that really super performance of the early filings.

I think the fresh out the box square ground cuts nicer than a brand new chisel chain...could be im mental!
Of course when I hand sharpen the round ground it's beast mode,kills any new out of the box chain of course. The square ground really holds its edge though

My competition on the other side of rd....this pic was awhile ago, just came across it.

That was his only climb since it was just an empty lot, I was on my fourth pondo of the day, I had a home to work around

066.jpg

IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1828.jpg
Storm damaged oak to drop at a country club today. They cleaned up the piece that was on the ground but decided they couldn't handle dropping it. Prolly for the best as it was badly compromised, leaning, and weighted heavily to one side. Four inches into the face and it started to bind up. Had to bore cut to keep it together. Worked my magic and was gone in twenty minutes.

Nice, Rich. Being able to read difficult scenarios and making the proper adjustments is what separates the men from the boys. Any idiot can flop a straight spar with no defects.

Was going through my photobucket stuff and came across these pics from a job a few months ago. I had cabled this hickory a few years ago and the hurricane we had last year broke two of the four J lags. I replaced the two broken J lags with through bolts (I just happened to have the stuff in my garage for another project). The tree probably needs to come down but it defines the entire back yard and is heavily leaning away from the house, towards the river. The customer accepts the risks and wants to keep the tree as long as feasible. Cables are set about 50'.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    534.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    521.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    496.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    474.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 67
Dont ya love it when they do construction first and take the tree down after?!?

Hey, last safety question- do you wear hearing protection/ear plugs?

Sorry, but I don't wear any safety gear. Nada. No helmets, chainsaw pants, shiny shirts, gloves, earplugs, eyewear, underwear, etc. I do wear a hardhat and earplugs when i am contracted to fall timber. I have been at this for 40 years and have been blessed to remain relatively injury-free! The utilities didn't kill the Pine. It was very much alive till we showed up!

Lordy your hearing parts must be made of spring steel and whale bone!

Good on you. Rare breed imo.

I've been wearing it almost since day one. I think my hearing would be toast without it.

I only wore a hard hat when I worked for the city and Davey, then a couple years after. And my hearing got fried from scuba diving, not noise.

Wish I would've worn it too. Now I know what the elder guys were talking about when they told me I'd be sorry. My hearing isn't what it should be. It's not terrible but I do have to ask people to speak up a lot.

Back