The Official Work Pictures Thread

Welcome, Rico! I will assume by the size of those trees you're in northern California near Jerry Beranek, perhaps? Awesome pics. :)

Cool pics.

A few from our "half day job" according to the estimator. It's almost 4 pm, day two. According to the guy who is grinding the stumps as I type this, the estimator is claiming I'm taking to long on purpose to make him look bad because I wanted that position. Things could get interesting when we roll in tonight.
IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1813.jpg IMG_1814.jpg
Two were strippers, and three needed rigged out. It's been a good couple of days. Home owner wants to cut his own fire wood so we obliged.

Le wow.

I've been chasing deadwood and big hangers in these 7 monterey cypress for the last 2 days.

c2e31db8da0b882bcf599f43f7d69f39.jpg
bc1c4fc91136676a14d84b3bdaf4bcef.jpg
5872de78660e32d22d2395ead9deff7c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm new around here.

We got a live one here!!!!!

Hey, awesome pics, welcome! That first pic of the Cat and red log is classic.

You do serious work, what's up with no hard hat? I'm no safety nazi believe me, just wondering. I loves me a good hard hat with hearing pro.

You doing a lot of tree work around vacation/lake homes?

Man, Rico... I just pray to God you stick around this place, brother... haven't seen pics like that since Gerry (as Brian--Squirrel--aluded to) Beranek's books.

Deva: Sheash... Monsters. Really beautiful monsters.

Cory: Pics!

Rich: That job looked real nice.

Sgriff: Was that a 390 or 395? Mean bar on that pig.

Here's our little (o.k. yer not gonna belive this. The stinkin independent consulting arborist decided that the best way to "wind-sail," this Fir was to top it at 20' from the tip!!! I'm told, "It's all the dendrological rage now in the PNW." OHHHH, MAN!!! Ohhh, man!!... I was like, "Really!!!??!") zip-show over the house...

unnamed-1396.jpg unnamed-1394.jpg

Sean: What say you about all this nonsense?? Apparently... the poor-ol' ISA has up and gone plumb out of style... poor ol' folks.

You know the thing that really pisses me off... is that I've been telling all these people for so long, "Ohhh, no.... We're not supposed to top trees because it forms these weak attachments... blah, blah, bla, ba, bla bla blahhhh."

Weird thing too... all the while, I had had this weird little twinge in my conscience, like, "You sure about all this stuff big Jed?? What about all of the TONS of trees (PNW DougFir, mind you) that the old-timers topped that you've gone and pruned, which looked like they were doing just fine, without a 'weak-attachment,' to be found??

Man... I dunno! What do you guys say?

I think it depends a lot on how big of a top you lop off. If you're only reducing by a relatively small amount then the tree will more easily establish a new top. If you're making a 12" topping cut at a 3" lateral then the tree is pretty much trashed.

Work Pics Thread 2.0!

Welcome Rico! Str8 logging up therr😅

Deva,that's alot of work mang,nice shots👍 talk about inclusion!

Jed,BIG JED! Those independent consulting arbs are FREAKS I say! Executed a bit of work based on some specs from one....just wild wishes imo. Topping phff stupid,reducing/retrenchment is the right way me thinks. That saw is 390,36" bar skip tooth 😆

Rich! The new estimator,lol,what a joke brother. I been through that once before,not that bad but I feel ya manG... That was a fugg up if i seen it

Thanks for the kind words! Sorry for the lack of safety gear, but I'm one of those old-school fools who believes skill is king when it comes to safety. I came up in the late 1970's-1980's yarder logging from Northern California to Southeast Alaska. Hardhats were mandatory, but I haven't worn one since. (except when falling timber)

Only way I can see to really reduce windsail is to reduce the size of the tree. Thinning helps a bit but a smaller tree catches less wind. Not saying it's right what they want to do but it does work for that purpose. I've had to do it to keep a tree. Badly storm damaged trees though.
I think that's twice this month Jed mentioned a zip line in a positive way.
Sam, this estimator has not one clue. He's not gonna last long. Of course I might not either if I keep trying to make the boss money with this guy bidding. I'm tired.

Douche canoe,duh Cory!

I've gotten to a few jobs where the time estimate/price just do not match up with what's expected to be performed,at that point ya just gotta call the bossman.
I've also gotten into a few where I should have called and voiced my concerns but didn't till end of the day,it happens,just remember shit rolls down hill and the strong shall prevail 💪👊😎

You know the thing that really pisses me off... is that I've been telling all these people for so long, "Ohhh, no.... We're not supposed to top trees because it forms these weak attachments... blah, blah, bla, ba, bla bla blahhhh."

Weird thing too... all the while, I had had this weird little twinge in my conscience, like, "You sure about all this stuff big Jed?? What about all of the TONS of trees (PNW DougFir, mind you) that the old-timers topped that you've gone and pruned, which looked like they were doing just fine, without a 'weak-attachment,' to be found??

Man... I dunno! What do you guys say?

Agree 100%. It's common sense.

No Hole in One.

Springboards are more predictable
than barber chairs.

Needed to get over the defects. Rotten like month old fruit.

Bridging up logs over the 5 hole putting green saved climbing and rigging.

IMG_20170621_130531238.jpg

IMG_20170621_151124713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170624_222437304.jpg

IMG_20170624_222653866.jpg
I come up with very few original tree ideas...a saw-holding kerf works a treat, fwiw.

Back