The Official Work Pictures Thread

Bixler way up in a cedar...I think he took the top at 125ft ish....beast mode....I didnt get the pic of topping just him chunking down cedar...I was in 1 of 3 oaks that I climbed using my new 201Tc, boy I like it so far, lots of torque, easy starting ;)

5GUaYUF.jpg

eN0IgwC.jpg

FhCV51y.jpg

Sounds like you were in "beast mode" too Scott! That's some beautiful wood and the saw is kinda cute too. I'll be in the market for a new one shortly, keep me posted on performance of that dude.

Nice pics!

Jed, good story on that chain that drove you nuts. I've gone just about that far a few times. I used to look at it as a big challenge to make every chain toe the line but now if one gives too much grief I will happily and quickly toss it. I never close my bar rails but maybe I should. I just file off the burrs on the edge of the rail.

Andrey...I have too many questions about those pictures...excellent picts by the way.

1. How did you negative rig that piece in the third picture and it NOT hit the roof?

2. Did you cut a groove in the piece so your rope would not slip?

3. Did they build the fence AROUND the tree? Looks like the tree is inside that nice fence.

4. The round stack of split wood...are they pieces for a roof?

5. 4th and 5th picts...are they storing the cut chunks inside the building?

Yar! Great pics!

Man. This contract work is something different than government work....no one wants to pay me to stand around and do nothing all day.

d910350553f773d49be0b5228d78eab0.jpg

01a48f42f19c5ebce0d27e3f7698747f.jpg

Tree leaned to the right quite a bit. Reality does more justice than pictures. Compensated face cut quite a ways to the left to get a nice parallel lay.

9eeba85336bbd9d14cf6f8b5696bffdc.jpg
aae3501d79a49b182c86dbc285ca1e1d.jpg

I had to cut loose some big hangers, and do a climbing inspection of sorts on this old growth doug fir. It was about 200ft....and I was delighted to find a skinny 3 strand nylon rope which had been set about about 150 feet some years back. That's a great head start, for anyone.

Attached my climb line to it and started hauling. Anyway, just as the climbline must have been getting near the limb....snap ! frig, it snapped....the line. All wasn't lost though, it snapped only 20-25 feet from the ground....probably it was the part that was sat on the limb way up, and had rotted.

Somehow when it snapped itd part wrapped itself around a stub....so, the weight of the climb line didn't pull the whole thing down and back over the high limb as youd expect. I was able to spur up to reach the hanging part where it broke....and then hopefully pull the climbline over and down. I got it. Started pulling.....but it snapped again. This time there was no stub to save it. Pulled the whole thing up and down to the ground, the climbline giving me a good lash on its way past for good measure. So, that was about 45 mins wasted.

I got the big shot up there at about the 12th attempt....about 90ft and went to work. Horrible climb there after, lots of huge splitting, and drooping limbs to get past. Got easier over the last 40. I got some vid, which Ill see if its worth putting together sometime this week.
DSC04375 - Copy (1024x768).jpg DSC04376 (1024x768).jpg DSC04377 (1024x768).jpg DSC04381 (1024x768).jpg DSC04384 (1024x768).jpg

Big ol tree. Enough to piss ya off when you have issues with the line like that though.
Deva, if I get you up here in June, you'll only need you gear in your truck .... And maybe a tent and such :)

the climbline giving me a good lash on its way past for good measure. So, that was about 45 mins wasted.

I got the big shot up there at about the 12th attempt....about 90ft and went to work. Horrible climb there after, lots of huge splitting, and drooping limbs to get past. Got easier over the last 40.

hahaha...misery and woe is part of the game sometimes...you write it up well, can't help but laugh at your predicament. It had all the earmarks of a good plan at first...much like many of mine.

Great pictures BTW...can't imagine spurring up a hoss like that.

Nice pictures.

Reg, not having done that many douggie firs and especially not of that size and age... Am I correct to assume the bark is so thick in the lower sections that the gaffs don't damage the cambium?

Hence the spuring on a prune tree... Or was it quite literally the last option given the problem you described with the rope snapping?

Back