The Official Work Pictures Thread

A while back we were taking down a few trees at a cabin. There was a sizeable maple with a spilt right down the trunk the owner asked us to do. We said wait till it fails and the powered line company will fix it.

Sure enough the split side failed leaving the half hanging over his two out buildings and a domestic electric cable.

We went today to take it down. Rigged pretty much everything. All left in the ravine where the other side failed.

Attachments

• IMG_9297.jpeg
    13.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9298.jpeg
    14.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9299.jpeg
    14.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9300.jpeg
    13.5 MB · Views: 14
A while back we were taking down a few trees at a cabin. There was a sizeable maple with a spilt right down the trunk the owner asked us to do. We said wait till it fails and the powered line company will fix it.

Sure enough the split side failed leaving the half hanging over his two out buildings and a domestic electric cable.

We went today to take it down. Rigged pretty much everything. All left in the ravine where the other side failed.

Nice job, a very nice job!

Our maples around here are probably 30 years from climbable, I hear it's really prone to splitting and barber chair. Any truth to that?

I had a short bushy 20"DBH free standing sugar maple split from a string wind gust. I noticed it a year later, and took it down before it started rotting.

Last edited:
Nice job, a very nice job!

Our maples around here are probably 30 years from climbable, I hear it's really prone to splitting and barber chair. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

Yes they can be prone to splitting, but at the same time are pretty hard woods.

The problem in this area is they are natural forest grown trees. By that I mean they haven’t been formatively pruned, hence the number of inclusions and defected trees.

It was a bit of a leaner, more than it looks in the picture. One of those jobs where the first few rigs where light to see how the tree reacted and then work from there.

All went well. We didn’t damage anything, get hurt and we got paid.

Back