The Official Work Pictures Thread

I am not @Maximalist. I only cut down one tree today. I am whipped.

I think it would have been easier to cut the whole tree into firewood from the bucket. But that would be no fun or experience.

IMG_7836.jpeg

This was high up and awkward. I came up with this cut on a smaller limb with my 20” 346 on a 6’ tree last year. Plunge, sweep the bottom out, then cut one remaining top post so it swings away a bit. 33” (110dl) bar.

IMG_7835.jpeg

Back in Pasadena. East coast arb at a disadvantage out here, not knowing the local tree species. What can you left coast types tell me about what might be happening in the neighbor’s avocado tree?

Attachments

• IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2901.jpeg
    IMG_2901.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2900.jpeg
    IMG_2900.jpeg
    593.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2897.jpeg
    IMG_2897.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2898.jpeg
    IMG_2898.jpeg
    614.9 KB · Views: 2
Across the street from where I cut.

The road dept had a parade of trucks tractors, equipment, men, to cut 3 limbs off.

The whole stupid tree needs to go.

IMG_7839.jpeg

I broke my biggest nicest most expensive faller’s axe handle. Council FE6 6lb on an East Coast Lumberjack handle. Whiffed it into the trunk cleaning up a deep gap face.

IMG_7838.jpeg

Good question. When climbing with TreeCareLA crews we would sometimes stop on the way back to the shop (usually if Oscar is on that crew) and climb avocados in parks to harvest and some of them are loaded with fruit and are not yet 30 feet tall.
Kinda like orange trees...
Might be those blue beetle bastards. Had my fill of them this year.
Or a mite.
Spray with some neem oil mixture and see what happens. Some fish emulsion and superthrive never hurts see if the tree needs some nutrients to help ward them off

Nice pics!

How do you do all that and still do some/alot of residential treework?

On one of the family farms in Kansas. My aunt and uncles house. Two story ol wood beauty. Tornado jumped right over the house and tore into the earthen barn made of bolders and earth in the side of the hill right near it. Bolders the size of a vw bug. Picked them up and placed them in the barn yard. House looked perfect and untouched. Not a window broken

@Maximalist Do you own your own tree removal business or do you work for someone (private or government entity)? You seem to do mostly public space trees. Does the government contract out that type of work to private enterprises?
In this case, I worked in a government agency. I serve four central districts of St. Petersburg and I'm the main arborist. Ordinary trees are cut down by others, but the most problematic trees usually go to me. The government can enter into contracts with private entrepreneurs. Quite often, I also sign contracts with the government as a private entrepreneur.

Last edited:
@Maximalist ‘‘twas a big branchy mess. 1.25m trunk and at the middle of the day it was 37°c so I had enough.
I understand you. As for me, I try not to work at temperatures above +30°C. At these temperatures, the wood heats up to such an extent that it seems my eggs can be hard boiled. Fortunately, such temperatures are rare here.

Back