The Official Work Pictures Thread

As an aside, I used my Avant winch to pull some pretty decent back-leaners from over a house last week, radio coms with the winch operator, pulley for MA, all the whistles and bells.
All went well, sorry no pics, too hot busy etc.

I said to the crew, I don’t think you’re human if you don’t get a squirrelly stomach before you start cutting one of those. The visualisation of the consequences of cocking it up or a sudden mechanical failure are real, and the relief when the last one hits the ground!
I had an idea for dead ones a while back. A diamond shape made with pull ropes. The dead tree would be the top point. The two sides would be trees or anchors of some sort with pulleys. The bottom would be both ropes attached to a common winch or vehicle. Alternatively, wrapped opposite around a capstan winch so they both draw in equally. This way, the tree is being pulled to the center of the diamond and has less chance of going sideways if the hinge fails. I think the angle would reduce force and increase speed.

Fine, I'll say it. Do better David. No excuses.

Thou hast been dually spanked.

Moving on...
I’m here to share and learn and get input, and I don’t want to discourage that, but I stand by my decision on how to do that one. My boots were there on the ground, and on the gas and brake pedals. The only things I really don’t like is not being careful enough with cutting (smaller bites) and ending up with rot on the tension side of the hinge. That and slacking the rope…but it was necessary. Or, I thought the chances of the tree going back from slack were less than the chance of me pulling slowly, breaking the hinge, losing traction, and the tree going back. Like I said, I sure wouldn’t try it around a valuable target. I’d also like to point out that it wasn’t a violent yank. No limbs were dislodged by the yank. The rope is 100’ long and stretchy. It’s also 1.5” and not about to break. I’ve spent the last 20 years, or my whole life really around rigging and pulling in trees, off road recovery, and a machine and welding shop - heavy truck and equipment repair, moving, bending, etc. All my gear is overrated and I can’t remember ever breaking anything. It’s not like I’m wet behind the ears or an accountant who woke up one morning and decided to play with chainsaws. Tree09 mentioned a midline log…which was an idea that occurred to
me, and then read about in FGTW… I have showed it in my big Euc felling videos.

I thought maybe @SeanKroll Might comment as he is a proponent of momentum.

I had an idea for dead ones a while back. A diamond shape made with pull ropes. The dead tree would be the top point. The two sides would be trees or anchors of some sort with pulleys. The bottom would be both ropes attached to a common winch or vehicle. Alternatively, wrapped opposite around a capstan winch so they both draw in equally. This way, the tree is being pulled to the center of the diamond and has less chance of going sideways if the hinge fails. I think the angle would reduce force and increase speed.
Surely you’re applying/wasting more inward pressure on the two pulleys?
I reckon a straight line and one at nearly 90 degrees is better.
Just speculating of course.

Last edited:
Surely you’re applying/wasting more inward pressure on the two pulleys?
I reckon a straight line and one at nearly 90 degrees is better.
Just speculating of course.
Yes, loss of force.

On the tree I just did with the definite side lean, I would tether 90 to the lean, yes. I guess I could have hooked on to one of the antique tractors over there. 😆

I was thinking more about yours where there is no obvious flaw or side lean but you never know if there is a knot in a hinge or something.

I agree with @flushcut on ya king tops out of trees, so I went up in the bucket and hooked my choker on, and sounded the tree since they are usually hollow. Where I hooked on, the diameter was so great that I had a hard time getting the 14’ choker around, and it used 3/4 of the length…so I wasn’t worried about yanking the top out. That being said and now that I think about it, I should have checked that big back side limb to make sure it wasn’t going to fall off.

I wish the truck had been in the video…it was a yank, or a tug, not a sharp jerk. Tires breaking loose was probably partly the rope tightening and the boost coming up (it’s a diesel). Next time.

Yes, loss of force.

On the tree I just did with the definite side lean, I would tether 90 to the lean, yes. I guess I could have hooked on to one of the antique tractors over there. 😆

I was thinking more about yours where there is no obvious flaw or side lean but you never know if there is a knot in a hinge or something.

I agree with @flushcut on ya king tops out of trees, so I went up in the bucket and hooked my choker on, and sounded the tree since they are usually hollow. Where I hooked on, the diameter was so great that I had a hard time getting the 14’ choker around, and it used 3/4 of the length…so I wasn’t worried about yanking the top out. That being said and now that I think about it, I should have checked that big back side limb to make sure it wasn’t going to fall off.

I wish the truck had been in the video…it was a yank, or a tug, not a sharp jerk. Tires breaking loose was probably partly the rope tightening and the boost coming up (it’s a diesel). Next time.
Don‘t sweat the opinions, it all worked out and we had something to discuss tree/felling wise, which makes a change these days.

This is the last photo of the boss, to be taken while he's happy. 20240731_104614.jpg

A few moments later, he would disturb a hornets nest, 30 feet up. He still had another 10 feet or so before the first limb, so he was just spur and flip line. He got down right quick, still got hit about a dozen times. He's quite miserable now, and we've still got most of a day ahead of us.

Climbing a rope is fast, sure. Setting that rope from the ground can be the absolute opposite.
Part of the reason I have never bothered trying a throw ball. I don’t need it much and it seems hassly…and both my rotator cuffs are junk and the thought of swinging upwards smarts. I’d rather go up there once ladder (if not very high) or bucket and be sure of what I’m getting. Wouldn’t work on tall conifers. I thought about trying a big shot or something but I rarely have a need. I’m a wannabe faller not a wannabe arborist. 😆

IMG_8034.jpeg IMG_8032.jpeg
Not a good way to end the day but it could’ve been much worse. This is the hazard with topping trees. The limb showed no signs of being hollow and was choked two feet below the old topping cut. It just crushed itself under the weight. It was a static pick and I was just about to start rotating toward the landing zone.

IMG_0809.jpeg IMG_0808.jpeg
View attachment 288fb1c0-ea37-4753-b81f-68df4d65fcd0.mov IMG_0811.jpeg IMG_0813.jpeg IMG_0812.jpeg
This morning, when I was driving to work, my left arm itched badly. According to Russian signs, when the left hand itches, it's for money. And indeed, I found 2,000 rubles in the grass. By the way, large logs from this chestnut tree will be delivered to the St. Petersburg Zoo. There, different cats will sharpen their claws on him.

Last edited:
When my right hand itches, I gets money for sure

But when my left eye jumps, somebody's got to go

edit:
Here's the full lyrics. Heavy diversion here, but cultural superstitions are interesting...

Well, I ain't superstitious, black cat just crossed my trail
Well, I ain't superstitious, but a black cat just crossed my trail
Don't sweep me with no broom, I might get put in jail

But when my left eye jumps, somebody's got to go

Don't sweep me with no broom, I just might get put in jail

Well, the dogs are howlin', all over the neighborhood
Whoa, the dogs are howlin', all over the neighborhood
That is true sign of death, baby, that ain't no good

Well, I'm not superstitious, but a black cat up n' cross my trail
Well, I'm not superstitious, a black cat up n' cross my trail
Don't sweep me with no broom, I just might get put in jail

Bad luck for me

Last edited:
View attachment 140334View attachment 140335
View attachment 140336View attachment 140337View attachment 140338View attachment 140339
This morning, when I was driving to work, my left arm itched badly. According to Russian signs, when the left hand itches, it's for money. And indeed, I found 2,000 rubles in the grass. By the way, large logs from this chestnut tree will be delivered to the St. Petersburg Zoo. There, different cats will sharpen their claws on him.
Not bad, that's a $23.39USD bill. I have had weird dreams where I reach into my wallet to pull out a $9 bill or a $52 or some odd increment. Sometimes it surprises me, other times I think it is normal and convenient.

Back