The Official Work Pictures Thread

Good looking doggy in the background!
Oh, this cute dog deserves a separate story!) This is a male German Shepherd at the age of 10 years. His name is Rooney (after the famous football player Wayne Rooney) German Shepherds are distinguished by intelligence and obedience. But not in this case (when my colleague from earth started a chainsaw and prepared to cut down a pine tree, Rooney grabbed the chainsaw by the chain! It's good that my earthling has a great reaction (he, like me, works in a fire station), and did not press the start button out of surprise!) This case fully confirms the statement that the dog completely repeats the temper and character of its owner. By the way, in my video about lowering the crown of a pine tree, this homeowner expresses his emotions too loudly and inadequately)

In fact, if you saw a tree very low to the ground, the chainsaw chain will blunt. This method allows you to keep the chain sharp.

You probably already know this but if you cut the stump low starting in a clean spot (or make a clean spot with your axe) and then cut the stump with either a pulling chain or pushing chain as appropriate, and do it so the saw teeth enter the wood hitting clean wood first and dirty or potentially dirty wood last, you can cut loads of dirty wood and still stay sharp. The dirt gets blasted out into space instead of getting dragged thru the kerf.

Some criters like ants and worms love to move a lot of dirt on and in the low bark too. The stumps covered with moss, ivy or dead bark are hard on the chain without a good clean up. Cutting the wood inside out is my favorite for the dirty cuts, but it isn't sufficent some times.

Bit late to the party but:
Cutting rubber trees is the tropical equivalent to pine, only worse.
It runs, it drips, it sticks, it clogs.
I had to have two saws, and rotate them, one cutting, one getting cleaned with petrol

Wow!
I usually envy you for your subtropical paradise.
In this case I certainly don't.

No idea…. but I bet you put a bucket under the cuts and gonna get plenty…. The saw jams up after awhile needing a gas bath.
Yup, uh huh! The gas bath. So much sawdust and chip sticks to the latex on the bar that after a while it's wider than the kerf and just won't cut.
See his spike holes just leaking latex everywhere!!
I don't miss rubber trees or canary island date palm ONE bit.

I cut some date palms in Death Valley NP. Hard points. Pierced a white Nalgene bottle and also a crew member's running shoe sole and foot. Dumb move to not wear her boots.

How big are we talking here? I get some joy squeezing thorns out like zits, but they're only a couple mm at most, and I'd rather not have thorns at all.

Gross!
Washington hawthorn is about as dangerous as we have here. There a few notable nastiest as well but pure puncture potential goes to the hawthorn.

Blackthorn and Hawthorn in the UK. Nowhere near as vicious looking as those spikey things.

BUT guaranteed to get infected and difficult to get out. I have had them in the knuckles before and my whole hand and finger has been stiff as hell to move. The worst was in the pad /palm of my hand near my thumb. Thumb stiffened up horrendously and was painful for over a week.

Mile a minute is annoying as shit. Nothing like the horrors pictured above, but they trivially break off in your skin, and you can't see them to do anything about it. You feel the little pricks for a couple hours til they just go away.

Back