The Official Work Pictures Thread

@Eric H-L

Old Stihl usg grinder. Better. I used a narrow wheel per @huskihl and had some success, also going off Stihl chain and USG angle chart. I think it’s important that the foremost point of the cutter is at the top where the top plate transitions to the rounded side. my previous grind was off. Probably similar to getting the top/side plates wrong on square. That rounded cutter is tricky to grind. The angles don’t play out the same as a flat sided full chis. Trimmed off the widowmaker stump with the raisman and then made a couple bucking cuts. It’s a bit aggressive for felling or horizontal cuts, but nice bucking. When horizontal, sometimes the top/back of the bar/chain catches and shoves the saw back pretty hard, I think because of those rounded/bulging cutters. Also, feeding is very difficult with the bar nose buried, but ok if it protrudes.

I bet rubber is a huge hassle. Can the latex be readily used by a lazy amateur? Does anyone harvest it on a small scale for anything?

image000000.jpg

Doing hazard trees next to roads again.
This one should have been dropped years ago, but got overlooked. Right next to the busy road, you can see in the back ground.
The new forester, who is a former apprentice of mine, has been going over all the road side trees, that is what has kept me busy dealing with hazard trees lately.

This was so decayed that even with a gutted hinge, it decided to barberchair instead of the hinge folding over.
It was standing on 2 wedges when we pulled, so I was WAY out of the danger zone.

Oh, let me rephrase all that.
Of course we barberchaired it deliberately with our skid steer, hoping to learn something from the experience:|:

Last edited:
I promised to post some pictures of doing hazard trees with the Ponsse Buffallo with the grapple saw.
That was when my computer was being replaced and I plumb forgot.
Here goes:

2022-10-12 07.58.05.jpg 2022-10-12 08.22.45.jpg 2022-10-12 10.05.56.jpg 2022-10-12 11.28.10.jpg

That thing is amazing.
He is having a new one built with a 10 foot longer crane and 1500 pds more lift capacity.
That'll be a monster.

Here is a fine example of how things have changed with time.
See the old snag in the right side of the picture.

I topped that in 1999.
Using a too short bar and not having the skills I have today, so the thing barberchaired on me.
Top went over, stayed on top of the vertical part of the chair for what seemed like a loooooong time and eventually crashed down on the opposite side of where I was lanyarded in on spurs.
Had it gone the other way, I would have been squashed like a bug on a windshield.

Way safer to do it with the Ponsse.

I've been driving by that thing for 23 years and every time I look at it, I think of those seconds where the top hung above me.

Oh, I climbed up afterwards and cut the chair away.
Didn't want to advertice that I had screwed up.

Today I would just say:" Oh, you never do that on purpose. You really should, you know. One can learn so much that way!"

2022-10-12 07.58.05.jpg

@Maximalist , that was some mighty smooth rope work on your tree, nice to have a great ground guy.

What are the scrap marks around the base for? Checking for soundness and/or rot?

Last edited:
@stig , indeed that looks like a hella machine. How exactly did it cut those big tops? Back cut them and let em go in the direction of lean?

The BC scenario you described happened to me too. So bad to think about the crushing I would have taken had it not slabbed off to the other side rather than into my lap. The reason mine happened is because I was in a hurry like an idiot and I didn't check the far side where I made my topping cut- if I had I would have seen a big cavity there where a limb had ripped off years ago, and that caused a severe lack of strength/integrity at that spot so therefore the sound wood I was cutting couldnt handle the load created and it BC'd.

Triple Hinge FTW!

I got no pics as usual but lordy we cut and chipped the brush from a bout 13 large trees trees and a bunch of smaller ones, lot clearing. We had an excavator helping push where needed and move some of the brush closer to chipper but it was a freaking jungle of briars etc.

Right next to a sharp bend on a very busy street and big power lines. Life and Death!

I. Am. Whupped.

75 yds of chips.

I'm too old for this chit :rockhard: :rockhard:

Cory, when the crane arm is fully extended, he has to let them go with the lean.
On big tops we actually spend some time with a plumbbob ( I have a pocket watch on a chain, mighty handy for that) to make sure he is positioned right.
Less extension and smaller stuff, he has control.
He can reach 10,6 meters up and cut 70 centimeters.

@Maximalist , that was some mighty smooth rope work on your tree, nice to have a great ground guy.

What are the scrap marks around the base for? Checking for soundness and/or rot?
In fact, if you saw a tree very low to the ground, the chainsaw chain will blunt. This method allows you to keep the chain sharp. 095312D9-B96F-49E3-B153-F15B1B15FD9C.jpeg

Back