The Official Work Pictures Thread

Anything where failure has no consequences. Clipping gear to your saddle, dragging things on the ground, very light rigging where a locking carabiner would be useful, but way overkill in capacity...

Definitely not for a maasdam, which has a working load limit of 1500 pounds. A new carabiner like that would be around 1100 pounds of working load limit.

I'd speedline 100 pound limbs on it, but not over something critical. Normally, I speedline with non-locking biners.

Beware of a sharp edge forming on the carabiner.

For your English language growth, a 'carbine' is a type of rifle. You're meaning 'carabiner'. Likely, your translation program has it wrong. :)

I don't buy the 1500 lbs limit for the Maasdam. Actually working with it, you can get barely over 900 lbs. It's only a 10:1 MA. But I get your point.

Feels close to me. I've definitely pulled over 100# with it, and was starting to get concerned the handle would fold.

Pretty much all chain falls and come alongs are engineered with close to 100 pounds pull/effort at full capacity. That's one way to tell how much you have on it, by the effort needed to move the load. I don't have one, but just by going by rope manufacturers you would likely never get 3/4 ton on a massdam since it's only half inch 3 strand rope.

but just by going by rope manufacturers you would likely never get 3/4 ton on a massdam since it's only half inch 3 strand rope.
I don't understand. Disregarding slippage, even the crappiest 3strand will hold well over 1.5k#

Wll? No way. Most 1/2 polyester 3 stand has breaking loads around 5 to 6k, my 5/8 treemaster is around 13k, so it's barely big enough on a 5 to 1 safety ratio. You would be in 3/8 steel cable for that kinda weight, it's only a 2k wll

Not wl, breaking strength. It's up to the user to decide safety factor. Anything from 0-10x is appropriate depending on task.

Surely not, you should never consider the breaking strength to match a task. Just a knot on the rope cuts its strength by half in average, a bit of move/jerk either by the pull or by the load itself and the tension rises.
The safety factor isn't made to annoye the users (even if I agree that's annoying). In any case, it can never be set in a window as wide as you say. 0 to 1 is only if you want absolutly to loose your load,
Until 2, it would be an extremly risky move: Used and knoted, it will break on you, no question about it.
We speak about security there, not suicide or demolition.

Like I said, it depends on what you're doing. Everything "depends". If the reward is getting your truck out of a mudhole vs the risk of breaking a rope, you, or at least I will risk the rope. If you're swinging a branch over a glass greenhouse, you shouldn't be using a maasdam in the first place, and whatever you use should allow for more capacity than anticipated.

I assumed you wanted to use your puller and rope again sometime. Rigging is one of those things that you can get lucky doing it wrong for awhile, but it can catch up to you quickly. People die all the time playing tow truck, honestly it's probably more dangerous than flying iron because rather than winching with a known force they bounce the vehicles weight to do the work, shock loading what is often a grade 3 tie down chain. Boom surprise when the hook snaps off and recoils directly in line, flying thru the drivers head. Freak accident to most people you meet in life but to anyone who knows better it's another episode of knew just enough to get in trouble. The ultimate weight is when it's brand new under very controlled situations, make a 50 pound pick once and it doesn't apply. It's an engineering test to determine single use tensile strength, and then for hard rigging made from alloy steel and nylon belting they say we're only ever gonna use 20 percent of it, and if we ever use more load we have to cut it up on the spot to make sure it's never used again. They don't do that to sell bigger rigging, that's because people have died so many times they finally found a wll for each type of rigging material based on efficiency losses in use.

Ropes are tied in knots, bent over tight bend radius, and run on bollards, stuff that beats the material up far more than how you are supposed to use industrial rigging. Just this last week i had pipe spool drop on me, far below what the wll of the 3/8 manila rope was rated for. Thankfully i treat all rigging with the utmost respect and was positioned out of the way so it fell harmlessly away from me. It's the little things you insist on doing right everytime that end up saving you, and what seems as a safe thing can quickly become something not.

Rather than seeing the wll as some optional thing, try seeing it as a cheat sheet for what you're trying to do. Figure out roughly the expected load and maybe even use charts to calculate the load on the rigging, which is usually more than the actual load itself. Then you simply use rigging with that wll or more, and make sure every piece used is able to do the job asked of it. This may seem overkill, but when you do this your chances for success go up and your chances for getting hurt go down, and in time you will learn to do more and more things without messing up all your gear in the process.

You still use what you got, and it still depends. I get rope. Believe it or not, I've been playing with rope a looong time, and only recently it had anything to do with trees. Risk vs reward. Same as everything else. Going back to the maasdam... Iif they say it'll take 1.5k#, I believe them. It also can't be overloaded since it has a built in "fuse". The handle's designed to fold before overload, and I've been damned close to folding the handle. Still works, as does the rope I was pulling with.

Nice Keens. I have been pretty happy with the three or so pair I've owned over the years. Quite good waterproofing. Though they really do tend towards sole delamination as they get older.

Nice Keens. I have been pretty happy with the three or so pair I've owned over the years. Quite good waterproofing. Though they really do tend towards sole delamination as they get older.
I have had the soles peel on Keens before but they put in their time first. Usually with the Detroit mid high boots. I switched to their Dover model late fall last year. It’s a higher top and carbon fiber toe, assembled in Portland and holding up well but I haven’t climbed in them.

Back