The Official Work Pictures Thread

I've been thinking of an axle for larger logs, like yours, Rajan. I was thinking of a V-bunk, rather than a basket. I can see the basket would maybe keep the axle tracking better.

How does yours track?

What is the capacity of the spindles/ wheels/tires?

It tracks reasonably well when the basket is full or the log is big enough. The big ash log tracked wonderfully. A v type bunk would work well. Hubs and spindles are 2000lbs each. The rims and tires are rated at 1375 each but with the tires being foamed I am not worried about capacity. The rims may shit the bed down the line but I see that as being a while.
I would think in you area Sean it would be real handy fetching saw logs.
We have a log pick up service here that I can utilize more because I can yard out longer material instead of cutting it smaller.

I have a Logrite Mark 7 and an Arbor Trolley, a Simpson Capstan (chainsaw powerhead-powered), and strangely, I have a monster winch on my chip truck that I forget about, as it's not really been needed in forever, which would be useful for the arch.

Really leaning toward a Woodland Mills 130max mill. The wood coming out of my area is very nice timber. My friend's shop was built with Structural Select or whatever the top grade is, from a tree I took down about 14 years ago (big doug-fir next to primaries, etc...way more tree than I'd ever been personally responsible for dealing with at that point of climbing trees for a year or two). Only 1-3 months for delivery, supposedly.

I would like a megatrolley. Less work, size and weight than the arch for when I can lift the log with the mini or a winch.
Mind if I show my welder your work? Do you have a parts source you could please share?

Go right ahead. The spindles and hubs are Rigid brand, Dexter is also a good source. 33” of 2x2” 1/4” wall tube, maybe 15-20’ of 1.5x1.5x3/16” tube, some 1/4” plate less than a foot square, tires and rims are from Fleet Farm.

Had to get this minimally branched, root-diseased doug- fir (second tree left of the driveway), maybe 24-26" dbh, to push through the adjacent, moderately vigorous doug- fir on the right (first tree on left of driveway), and not beat up the cedar on the left (third tree left of driveway)

Once I had it tipped and resting in the adjacent doug-fir, I gutted it from the rear, relieving enough hinge to get it to fall, and, a la Stig, cut the remaining corner as it went to let it roll.

(I need to sharpen up most of my saws)

Two piles of 12' and 18' saw logs. I have another pile and a half in other places, not counting the 1500-2000+ board feet of doug-fir logs at my saw miller's.

Going to have to build some covered milling space and pour a slab and get a mill.

. 20220505_102348.jpg 20220505_151709.jpg 20220505_151714.jpg

Rajan technically no. A critical lift is one that exceeds 80% capacity from what I remember. Supposed to be engineered and a bunch of other stuff. Kinda hard to do in tree work anyhow. That one came in close to what we calculated. The last two came in a few grand light.
@Ryan. Opposite side looks identical. 2 slings and 2 shackles. We adjusted those after the cut was made. I didn’t like the initial placement. Piece was lifting crooked so I set it back on the spar and had him fix them.
thank you Cory.
Sorry I didn’t get any more pics today. Was a bit busy. Also blew up a 500i (I’m pretty sure) and the mini quit. Alternator is crapping out is my assumption. I’ll put a meter on it tomorrow.

I’m liking the 500i.
as far as it being blown up though, I’m guessing that it was in a confined space while cutting those big rounds and re-breathing it’s own exhaust. That and the air filter was caked with dust. I’m not positive on it being toasted yet as I haven’t had a minute to look it over. It just shut itself down and didn’t want to restart. Didn’t feel right on the pull cord either.

Ground out, cleaned up, and restoration from the big pin oak today in the rain. I think the lawn held up well for the amount of iron and material on it
040E82D5-0F16-4EC4-B9AC-FFC66E25FCC1.jpeg 498F50C5-DA13-4244-A651-C69A1C5C6450.jpeg 9C783295-70D8-4795-B24D-50229290058B.jpeg
guy that was supposed to get the timber mats picked up went home early.
also my pics seem to load in what ever order they want to anymore.

Back