The Official Work Pictures Thread

No sprocket on the nose. The chain just rides around a hard bar nose. Those are old school, and also used for cutting in really filthy conditions. Nothing to seize up/wear out aside from the bar metal itself.

Did it tonight when I serviced saws. Sprocket was sluggish at first. I got it started moving with my finger and boosted it with the air....I always figured the quick spinning was a sign I got the gook out of the sprocket area. It's freewheeling, no chain load on it...seems that would be easier than it carrying a chain under load and at high rpms. But I'm just a hack....Magnus or a saw guru will have to learn us.

FWIW, Ive never once serviced a tip sprocket and never had a problem. Yes the sprockets eventually chit the bed but not for many many hours. And the bar itself is only good for 2 sprockets imo.

I do it just to annoy anyone who is in the shop when I’m servicing saws. Usually put a couple drops of bar oil into it when I’m done. Years ago I had a few bars with grease holes in the tip. Wonder why they quit making those

Most of my bars have grease holes aside from Stihl. I think they figured out it's a waste of time and deleted them. The other makers will probably catch up eventually.

The problem to zizz the sprocket with air comp is the very fast rotation speed it can attain. With the chain at WOT it gets barely 8000 rpm, maybe less. It isn't designed for a 15 -20,000 rpm or more. I don't know if the concern is the bearing itself or the sprocket's integrity (centrifugal force, vibrations), but you get the idea.

It fall down.
Some years back I pruned this tree for roof clearance to to reduce the weight towards the house. It was due to be pruned again, but the HO was a tad financially tapped due to all her other storm damage over the last few years plus all the tree mortality. Been cleaning it up.
We had to rig some of the tree off itself to protect the paver walk and patio next to the house.. Pump/well shed is trashed. House has some nicks and scratches. Dont know why, but the sequence is backwards. :dontknow: IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0535.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0508.JPG

Wow...a lot of tree...and lucky with how it fell.

The tree I took off a neighbor's house a month ago hit hard...I could see one busted truss and another cracked. The roofing company declared the whole roof "askew....twisted". It's a $40K job to get trusses and roof replaced. The hit was hard enough to dislodge ceiling lights from the ceiling...your crack in the interior wall made me think of that.

Shit Gary, that's reasonable. That roof I smacked with the log, was mostly cosmetic damage, yet they pulled the whole roof because shake roof is a no go in CA for fire anymore. Then replaced all the ship lap cedar ceiling so the new stuff would match.... 127,000.00

On the subject of trees, storms and houses.

This was a few years ago no but it piped up then there day in Facebook, hence how I remembered the pictures.

Both houses were condemned and had to be rebuilt. The house on the left was owned by a guy who was away on holiday with his family. The house on the right had a old lady in her late 80’s in bed at the time.

She described it as...

“Like being a child back in the facking blitz!!!”

Here is a vid I did of the removal.

F804F0AB-20D2-4A15-93F5-6F553C92B40D.jpeg F69E04E8-C965-4E67-9532-1E4DBF7033FB.jpeg

My neighbors tree that came down last fall in a 50 knot wind. I had pruned it the week before to try taking out some sail area, but wet ground and 2"of soil weren't enough to hold it up. NEAR miss on their shed

20191025_140005.jpg

Thanks Gary.

Definitely not the best to shock load a crane but we had plenty of capacity on the lifts. It was either risk being injured as there was no where safe to be when the pic started or use a bit of holding wood and get the hell outta Dodge.

The job was certainly a head scratcher.

Some of them I was tied into a cambium saver on the hook. Wasn’t worried as it was a 50t crane and at that radius the lift capacity far exceeded the pic weights and my fat arse combined. ;)

No idea why it doesn’t work Mick. Works for me in Youtube but not from the link that is embedded in the post.

I assume it works for the others who have commented.

There must be somethin screwy about this new forum format that disables embedded vids shortly after posting them, very annoying, particularly in the Songs I Like thread.

Jomo

Back