The Official Work Pictures Thread

A wooden wedge would be prone to splitting, and that's unacceptable. Wood also has a much higher friction coefficient, which would hinder beating it home.
I agree ... on a few large silver maples the biggest plastic wedges (10-12”) I had reached a point where they simply stopped lifting ; even with a sledge Hammer whacking the business end .... had to grab metal wedges to knock her over ... in fact I’ve welded 2 together for a “super-wedge” ... now you gotta be careful cause if you hit with chain it’s bye bye real quick ... also make sure you wear eye protection and when done GRIND a 45 chamfer on the striking edge ... you whack a mushroomed end with a sledge and a shard comes off .......

Used to work with a guy that lost an eye bullpinning a stake in when a piece of metal flaked off. I use a jackhammer bit. It's kind of dangerous due to the possibility of chipping, but it's hard to find something that'll go in the ground without bending.

If you were beating that hard, you maybe had too thick of a hinge.
Were the metal wedges a different taper, different MA?

79CCD8BB-5B4C-41F2-B082-B2D123CF52C2.jpeg 3CBA27EC-A800-40CF-91BD-B65411FD085D.jpeg 319DD0CE-97BF-453C-8CB5-A5F1B7AB5B14.jpeg
my paper work stated clean up down limb. No idea who put the rope in there. The tree was full of track marks and stubs. I think someone either got hurt or the property owner put a stop to it. The piece hanging was a break but the rope had been in it long enough to wear into the tie off point. Fresh marks from after it broke. The rope was wrapped in so many places that I have no idea how any one could’ve let it down. I got the limb off, left the tangled rope hang, and put in a recommendation to have the tree removed by someone who isn’t on crack. We will see how the boss translated that to the landlord.

View attachment 97488View attachment 97489View attachment 97490
my paper work stated clean up down limb. No idea who put the rope in there. The tree was full of track marks and stubs. I think someone either got hurt or the property owner put a stop to it. The piece hanging was a break but the rope had been in it long enough to wear into the tie off point. Fresh marks from after it broke. The rope was wrapped in so many places that I have no idea how any one could’ve let it down. I got the limb off, left the tangled rope hang, and put in a recommendation to have the tree removed by someone who isn’t on crack. We will see how the boss translated that to the landlord.
What an odd situation!

I am needing to resupply with new wedges.

Are hardheads the same taper as most other wedges?

Are hardheads losing less force from deformation/ mushrooming of the wedge?
They come in different tapers and length. You will find a better transfer of energy from the hit of the axe/maul/hammer into the wedge due to the steel head and insert. the steel can mushroom some, just grind the offensive bits before you use them again. You can eventually break the heads off after much use. Never had the steel head pop in an offensive manner, it just breaks off the insert into the wedge.
They just work better, stack better, and are not as hard on your chain if you Nick the tip if you need to cut more.

If you were beating that hard, you maybe had too thick of a hinge.
Were the metal wedges a different taper, different MA?
These are the wedges I was using ; maybe a more robust style is available... the center one is the welded “super-wedge” ... come in handy when splitting large rounds that are knotty/stringy , sometimes even with the 2 metal wedges it just ain’t enuff - the “super-wedge” is undefeated in man vs round combat ! They do need to be hit with angle grinder though - you can see the mushrooming 57E8D728-18F6-4A29-8337-9C2BDD67BD26.jpeg

I need to make a gauge for spinning chain, or at least record the length. Every time, I count out each drive link; twice. If it doesn't match, I count it two more times. Not the most fun use of time, especially when the cat helps.

Can probably find the same thing somewhere else that doesn’t want 15$ to ship it

25DFB78B-4A80-461C-9FD3-B32A7B05A6E4.jpeg

Back