The Official Work Pictures Thread

Mick do you have a link to that sling you’re using to pic up the wood. Kinda looks like what I’d prefer on log crane picks.
mended the day yesterday with these god awful removals
DAECE81B-D8C0-4E96-BAC5-DBD8EA3B6DB1.jpeg
god awful trees they are. Heavy thorny bastids. Turned into a nice load of firewood for me.
747C4BA6-96FD-404F-8555-487B4E5C4C0A.jpeg BCFC7D01-5830-443E-B4D1-16A40D0D9805.jpeg
this was a heavy Chevy coming home. I’ve never done much with Osage orange before. Maybe cut a limb or two. These things suck. A nasty twisted mess like a mulberry but way heavier and pointier. Also the fruit is softball size and when they break are sticky as hell. The good side is I was able to bring home 2 cords worth of the highest btu wood there is

So many people will walk right into danger on a daily basis.

Most people's jobs are in safer places than their homes.

Oh yeah, City disposal costs!!!

I hardly ever ever pay for disposal of anything. Chip drop, during a storm, a year ago, maybe.

Nice load of logs Rich.
Looks good Mick. How do you like those wedges?
Tbh, I’m not much of a wedge banger, I like them well enough, but you never see the more “felling purist types” using them, which tells its own story.

@treebilly I’ll have a look, they’re color coded, red for 5 tonnes, yellow I think for 2 tonnes and green for the 1 tonne strops. Cheap as chips in the hardware store near me.
Endless Round Sling - 1Tonne to 120Tonne - https://durhamlifting.co.uk/product/endless-round-sling-1tonne-140tonne/ here you are, they’re in the Uk but I’m sure there’s a supplier over there.

Last edited:
That looks like a cool property Mick. I like stuff thick, without heavy management.
Abandoned for the best part of 25 years from what I can see. Finished there today with this Douglas, twin stem, included bark 80 ish ft high, 20 ft from the house, cracked open when it hit the deck. 223E64D9-4257-440F-AB89-77BF51F89F43.jpeg E941C312-72D0-47FF-913D-2D487DC565C2.jpeg E941C312-72D0-47FF-913D-2D487DC565C2.jpeg 11DDD52E-64CB-4462-B996-CFCD73319AA6.jpeg

Yes, sooner out the better.

There was one fused branch from one stem to the other, when I cut that there was real movement, I wonder if, without that, it might have gone.

Sound likely.
It is amazing what a fused branch can hold.
Or even two branches hooked around each other.
Every faller has stories about dropping a big tree only to have a tiny branch hold it upright.

I watched a climber go out to the end of an over extended limb to trip it's crossed with a pole saw... the whole 18" limb failed in his lap and took him down with his flip line still attached.... aerial rescue.

He was stretched out pretty good.... he had a high tie end to the left... and he was flipped into this limb that failed under him.... his eye and eye hitch burnt and melted him lower down to us where we could reach with a ladder off truck...

We retired the saddle... his back was tweaked but he recovered after rest... Ed's a 35 year climber... One Bad MoFo. Those guys don't die..
Just wear out.

Really? Don’t think I’ve ever seen anything but those plastic stacking wedges being used by the cognoscenti.
Are you a hi-lift wedge user Burnham?

I'm not in the business, but this thread is the first time I've seen the high lift wedge. I didn't see them at my new saw shop that caters to pros(in a non logging area). They look like they could be problematic to use. I wonder if a nice fat hardwood wedge wouldn't work just as well, maybe with a plastic starter wedge to keep the kerf open.

No, I mean a wedge made 100% out of wood. I was fondling some of the ash I've been cutting the other day, and thinking it might make a good felling wedge. Nice and hard. I wouldn't expect them to last a long time, but I could make a lifetime supply just from otherwise useless scraps. Other people around the world probably have even better wood. Get a plastic wedge good and set, then use a high lift wood wedge to send it over. Keep in mind I'm not doing anything huge over here. 48"dbh would be about the biggest I'd expect to cut. I have no concept of what it takes to deal with your west coast monsters.

A wooden wedge would be prone to splitting, and that's unacceptable. Wood also has a much higher friction coefficient, which would hinder beating it home.

Tbh, I’m not much of a wedge banger, I like them well enough, but you never see the more “felling purist types” using them, which tells its own story.

@treebilly I’ll have a look, they’re color coded, red for 5 tonnes, yellow I think for 2 tonnes and green for the 1 tonne strops. Cheap as chips in the hardware store near me.
Endless Round Sling - 1Tonne to 120Tonne - https://durhamlifting.co.uk/product/endless-round-sling-1tonne-140tonne/ here you are, they’re in the Uk but I’m sure there’s a supplier over there.

WTF are " Felling purist types?"

Back