The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

This refers back to a comment I made in the woodworking thread in regards to Raj's cutting boards, stating I appreciate imperfections in constructions and other things. This is my outlook exactly. I didn't know there was a name for it anywhere...

Wabi-sabi offers a refuge from the modern world’s obsession with perfection, and accepts imperfections as all the more meaningful – and, in their own way, beautiful.

While flawless construction can be impressive in a technical sense, it isn't as interesting to look at. Computer controlled machines and synthetic materials can make duplicate perfect pieces over and over. Perfect, but boring. Natural materials with natural flaws stand up better to time, and reveal more the closer/longer you look.

This looks like a cool place to visit...

For decades, the Old Forge was the holy grail of the British outdoors community. The UK's remotest pub, it could only be reached via boat or a three-day walk through one of Britain's last true wildernesses, the Knoydart peninsula in Scotland. A dispute between some locals and a new owner threatened the legend—until they decided to open up a pub of their own.

Worms apparently aren't native to North America. Here's an article saying why worms are bad...

The discovery alarmed scientists. In the absence of worms, North American hardwood forests develop a thick blanket of duff—a mille-feuille of slowly decomposing leaves deposited over the course of years, if not decades. That layer creates a home for insects, amphibians, birds, and native flowers. But when worms show up, they devour the litter within the space of a few years. All the nutrients that have been stored up over time are released in one giant burst, too quickly for most plants to capture. And without cover, the invertebrate population in the soil collapses.

Read this essay at the library last month. Really interesting take on American boys and the pressures/ influences affecting their learning how to be men.

Read this article on whoopie cushions and other novelties today...

That article isn't so amazing, but there's a lot of cool articles on that site related to collecting just about anything. It isn't just about the technicalities of collecting particular things. They go into the history of the objects, the companies that made them, and how they were used. That's basically how I spent my day today; going from one article to the next.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sucked into the wormhole of collecting

Nice!

Do you wear any copper?

I used to wear copper bracelets I made, but I got out of the habit. Reading that article brought it to mind, and I think I'll see if I can dig one up.

Ive heard it said copper can help with inflammation etc, ever notice any benefits like that with the bracelet?

No, I never noticed it helped anything, but I'm physically fairly problem free. I'll occasionally get joint pain in various joints, but it's infrequent and very short lived, so it would be hard to tell if anything helped. It does turn your arm a lovely shade of green in the summer :^P

Nothing new in that article, and they fail to bring up Truman's real reason for using the bomb.

To show the Russkies that he had it.

Interesting.

My 65 y o buddy who I logged a lot with in CT in early 80s just got diagnosed with a brain tumor this week :(

Good luck to your buddy. An online guy I know had a brain tumor at about that age, and he's doing... Alright I guess. He's had some challenges, but he's doing ok, and has kept a good attitude.

My labels are gone too, but I'm still gonna take them back. It's obvious where they are from imo

Yo, I hope y'all can access this link, its a pretty cool, basic look at how giant container ships are built. Kinda mind boggling really. And that welding tho :headbang:

Lots and lots of welding for sure. When i was in welding school they had a stick rod that they used to use from back in the day, it was about 4 foot long and about an inch thick. Used to use a huge carriage to weld with them :lol:

Back