The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Fyi

Once again I don't think they are explaining this science stuff with enough detail to thoroughly prove their findings. Just thinking about it, stepping on a butterfly 50 years ago could quite likely not cause any significant alteration to the present if that butterfly was never involved in a chain of events that had a major effect on the present let alone a minor effect of whose chain could have stopped long before 50 years. Then there's the issue of logical processes with a certain goal in mind could self correct easily enough I would think. In the real world you would have the equivalent of billions of computers all doing their own little thing, but in a somewhat interconnected way. A different piece of information sent through them could really turn out differently.

It also negates the fact that you can't go back in time, you can only slow down how you experience time leading to traveling to the future, but only because they didn't have their relative time slowed. Physics is cool but kinda a mindfk sometimes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup, fellas.

I'm naturally attracted to articles and stories about the universe, black holes etc etc, but basically every one of them, after you read em closely and carefully, make no f'g sense.

Too often they are over simplified to where the explanation isn't very accurate, or over complicated with unnecessary jargon, and assume you know the not so obvious obvious stuff.

It takes a special person to explain quantum mechanics so it's easy to understand. It's inherently weird, and counter intuitive to people raised on Newtonian physics.

I mean most physics, not just quantum, but it is a special skill that few people have to explain things in simple but precise terms.

I gather you are a fan of physics, Nutball. Have you studied it some?

I tried to, but nobody will dumb it down for me without dumbing it down too much. I downloaded a bunch of physics lectures videos once, but I don't have the time for all that. Then I can't ask the lecturer questions if I need to.

I do like to know how everything works down to the smallest detail. I'm interested by anything in nature, but it's a waste of one's life to try to learn all of it.

Not sure how much general interest there is, but the US is gonna be losing a foot in 2023...

A good idea I think, and it won't affect me much since I measure short distances, but it'll have to be accounted for doing math on geodetic coordinates. I'd like to see everything go metric. Imperial measurements are insane. You have to do math before you even get to the math you want to do. I deal in decimal feet which is much more tolerable, but the smallest unit on a tape isn't small enough. It's .01' which approximately equals 1/8" or 3mm. 1mm graduations would be sufficiently precise for everything I need to do.

I hate the metric system. I'd rather deal in feet/inches any day. I can do fractional inches in decimal quick enough when needed, such as figuring rafter lengths, stair stringers, etc. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!
I've got a fun task for you! Compute this vertical curve for me in imperial measurements. You'll want to convert from decimal feet to imperial, but if you ask real nice, I might do it for you, and then give me the elevation for station 26+75...

Ym87PZF.png

edit:
The formula...

7pMNj7h.png

Last edited:
It's not so bad. I haven't done the math by hand in decades. I taught myself how to do it manually, then promptly wrote programs for my calculator to do it for me. Eventually paid software got better than what I could write, and I've been using it ever since. I'd still tell you to frig yourself if you said I had to do it using imperial measurements though :^D

Painting eyes on cattle to deter predators...

@FireFighterZero I don't know if you have issues with alpha predators taking out cattle, but it's a cheap fix, and kind of funny to see. It would be a good project for the kids.

Here's a kinda lengthy interesting article...

"Warding off the diseases of aging is certainly a worthwhile pursuit. But evidence has mounted to suggest that antioxidant vitamin supplements, long assumed to improve health, are ineffectual. Fruits and vegetables are indeed healthful but not necessarily because they shield you from oxidative stress. In fact, they may improve health for quite the opposite reason: They stress you."

The end of the article has a disclaimer...

"Even within the hormetic idea, Halliwell sees the attempts to bore down on the individual chemicals as problematic. “That’s worked very well in pharmacology, but it hasn’t worked at all well in nutrition,” he says. He doesn’t think any single phytonutrient will explain the apparent health-promoting benefits of fruits and veggies. “Variety seems to be good,” he says. That critique speaks to a larger problem: It’s often unclear how lab research on simple organisms or cell cultures will translate, if at all, into recommendations or therapies for genetically complex, free-living humans."

Always wise to take things regarding health and human biology with a big heaping cup of salt. Lots of people are promoting "Do these one or two things, and live 20 years longer without disease", yet those promoters get sick and die just like everyone else. I'm particularly skeptical of pills and supplements. IMO, all they serve to do is separate people from their money, and provide a false sense of security. "I took my snakeoil this morning, so I can eat McDonalds for breakfast and lunch, sit on my ass, and still be super healthy!".

The "paleo" diet as I understand it has the right idea, but the wrong execution. Thousands of years ago, meat wasn't easy to come by. It took a lot of work, and didn't last that long. That being the case, I'd say we evolved to have lots of vegetables(in the broad sense, anything vegetarian), a little meat, and lots of moving your ass. Also, not much thinking. Needing a science degree to eat healthily is bollocks. If you have to put much thought into it, you're probably doing it wrong.

I also suspect people do better with foods and lifestyles that are culturally appropriate. The almost pure meat diet of an arctic aboriginal won't work as well for people living in a hot jungle, or even a temperate climate. "Their people"(wherever they may be) evolved with subtle differences that allowed them to thrive off what was available, and won't be generally appropriate.

Anyway, food(Hah!) for thought. The article's interesting, and not technical.

I read your synopsis but not the article, good stuff, thanks for posting.

Bring on the hemp,,4 min read

I'd be interested in trying something like a hemp Tshirt to see how it performs, but I buy almost all of my clothes used. The rest I get as gifts.

Back