The Official Treehouse Articles Thread

Mushrooms and carbon capture. It isn't just about mushrooms though. It gets into trees, and their symbiotic relationship with fungi. There could be some interesting strategies with replanting in diminished soil. Maybe inoculate the ground with each seedling? Beyond my pay grade, but it would cool to explore.

This is the Sol Friedman house...

1280px-Sol_Friedman_House_01.jpg

I really like this picture. You can smell the crisp air, and imagine going inside to a fireplace and coffee.

Alright Cory, I'll wade into this one. I didn't do no 20 years like Frank, but still.

I was arrested for my assault on February 13th 2019, at around 4:00pm. I would spend about 36 hours, sitting on a concrete slab waiting to be booked into the Navajo County jail in Holbrook. Once I was, I would spend seven days in "Iso", this is the solitary confinement you hear of. In Holbrook, it's an 8x10 with a concrete bunk, a stainless steel toilet with built in sink, and you. That is it. No mattress, no books, nothing.

After a week in iso, I was moved to "lockdown" which is the maximum security unit at the county jail. I spent 36 days there, locked in a cell with a suicidal white supremacist for 23 hours a day, for a total of 6 hours of "rec" per week.

Finally I was moved to GenPop, where I quickly rose to prominence and "ran the pod".

I should never have been put in the general population. Lockdown was where I belonged. Speaking technically, I have a long history of "gang related violence", affiliations with multiple violent motorcycle gangs, etc. My presence in GenPop nearly resulted in race war on two occasions.

Incarceration=racism. There's no choice in it. You WILL segregate yourself, period. Your "friends" will be the same color as you, almost without exception. The "Heads" will be friendly with one another, but below the leadership level, interracial interaction is frowned upon.

County jail is often more violent and higher tension than prison, as everyone is still fighting their case, its a sword poised over your neck. By the time you get to prison, the fight is over, you're just settling in to serve your time, the hammer has already fallen.

Not every body should be housed with the general population. In fact, county jail should be more segregated. Short term inmates should not be housed with long term ones. We have rules about how our pod is run, and new guys, that are only there for a day or so, don't have time to learn them, and end up getting smashed because the broke an unspoken rule.

Then there's folks like my best friend Dave. The guys job in the Army, for five of 15 years, was teaching very high level hand to hand combat, to some of the finest warfighters on the planet. You don't just put that guy in an open pod with 60 cocky idiots, unless you want a rash of concussions, since dude hands them out like candy. He is the entire reason that Holbrook has a veterans pod now.

I get that solitary confinement isn't great, but the point of Incarceration is to change your behavior, by removing you from public. It's not supposed to be nice or easy, you're supposed to be afraid of it happening to you, which is why you obey laws to begin with.

We need prison reform, no argument, but as a convict myself, I'll say this. I'd rather be locked up in America than in countless other countries. Sure Europe seems like cushy jail sentences, but think of how badly torn up their facilities are with all the migrant problems they have. Check out some of the prisons in Africa or southeast Asia. In some places, they dont even feed you, you're entirely dependant on people outside bringing you food, (Singapore by the way).

If they make prison life too comfortable, they will remove the fear that keeps me out of there. For instance, I want my freedom more than I want to beat the Ex wife's boyfriend. Not because I hate him, I don't care. It's the principle of the thing, he screwed around with my woman and he deserves an ass whipping. It's the simple fear of prison that keeps his teeth in his head. All it would take is a bit of penal system reform, and that guy is getting a lifetime supply of bad days.

Make Jail Bad Again.

Alright Cory, I'll wade into this one. I didn't do no 20 years like Frank, but still.

I was arrested for my assault on February 13th 2019, at around 4:00pm. I would spend about 36 hours, sitting on a concrete slab waiting to be booked into the Navajo County jail in Holbrook. Once I was, I would spend seven days in "Iso", this is the solitary confinement you hear of. In Holbrook, it's an 8x10 with a concrete bunk, a stainless steel toilet with built in sink, and you. That is it. No mattress, no books, nothing.

After a week in iso, I was moved to "lockdown" which is the maximum security unit at the county jail. I spent 36 days there, locked in a cell with a suicidal white supremacist for 23 hours a day, for a total of 6 hours of "rec" per week.

Finally I was moved to GenPop, where I quickly rose to prominence and "ran the pod".

I should never have been put in the general population. Lockdown was where I belonged. Speaking technically, I have a long history of "gang related violence", affiliations with multiple violent motorcycle gangs, etc. My presence in GenPop nearly resulted in race war on two occasions.

Incarceration=racism. There's no choice in it. You WILL segregate yourself, period. Your "friends" will be the same color as you, almost without exception. The "Heads" will be friendly with one another, but below the leadership level, interracial interaction is frowned upon.

County jail is often more violent and higher tension than prison, as everyone is still fighting their case, its a sword poised over your neck. By the time you get to prison, the fight is over, you're just settling in to serve your time, the hammer has already fallen.

Not every body should be housed with the general population. In fact, county jail should be more segregated. Short term inmates should not be housed with long term ones. We have rules about how our pod is run, and new guys, that are only there for a day or so, don't have time to learn them, and end up getting smashed because the broke an unspoken rule.

Then there's folks like my best friend Dave. The guys job in the Army, for five of 15 years, was teaching very high level hand to hand combat, to some of the finest warfighters on the planet. You don't just put that guy in an open pod with 60 cocky idiots, unless you want a rash of concussions, since dude hands them out like candy. He is the entire reason that Holbrook has a veterans pod now.

I get that solitary confinement isn't great, but the point of Incarceration is to change your behavior, by removing you from public. It's not supposed to be nice or easy, you're supposed to be afraid of it happening to you, which is why you obey laws to begin with.

We need prison reform, no argument, but as a convict myself, I'll say this. I'd rather be locked up in America than in countless other countries. Sure Europe seems like cushy jail sentences, but think of how badly torn up their facilities are with all the migrant problems they have. Check out some of the prisons in Africa or southeast Asia. In some places, they dont even feed you, you're entirely dependant on people outside bringing you food, (Singapore by the way).

If they make prison life too comfortable, they will remove the fear that keeps me out of there. For instance, I want my freedom more than I want to beat the Ex wife's boyfriend. Not because I hate him, I don't care. It's the principle of the thing, he screwed around with my woman and he deserves an ass whipping. It's the simple fear of prison that keeps his teeth in his head. All it would take is a bit of penal system reform, and that guy is getting a lifetime supply of bad days.

Make Jail Bad Again.
Well, interesting perspective, from the horses mouth as they say.

Yup that was a very good read, thanks Kave.

Btw the thrust of the article imo was to show the dangers of misapplied, excessive solitary

Um, I could stand a few more 'Dave' stories :drink: :dude: ;)

I read the article, I still don't know if I agree with the premise.

Oh I've got a few Dave stories, they'll make it here eventually, somewhere.

Kave, let's roll with some Dave stories.

Meanwhile, who knew France trashed Tahiti/Teahupoo in the 60s and 70s with aboveground nuke testing. Plenty of trash conspiracy theories abound these days but some are true like what the french government did there as well as what US gov did to citizens living in the area of WW 2 New Mexico nuke testing.

I don't remember ever not thinking of that. Seeing an old documentary reel, and I'm thinking "Hmm... Where'd the radiation go?" all the way back to grade school.

An excerpt from the lower half of the page.

Virginia

"Secession placed no State in so embarrassing a position as the great Commonwealth of Virginia…There is no doubt that the great body of its citizens were opposed to the state’s seceding, but they were equally opposed to the coercion of the States which had already seceded."
-George Stillman Hillard Life and Campaigns of George B McClellan 1864 BiblioBazaar 2008

"Let us consider for a moment the results of a consolidated government, resting on force, as proposed by the dominant party at the north....a consolidated despotism, upheld by the sword and cemented by fear....now it [the union] has been seized upon by a sectional party, it is claimed that its powers are omnipotent, its will absolute, and it must and will maintain its supremacy, in spite of states and people, at the point of the sword."
-Richmond Whig Editorial A Government of Force April 10 1861 Quoted in Virginia Iliad H.V Traywick, Jr Dementi Milestone Publishing INC

Moreover, Governor John Letcher, (who wanted Virginia to abolish slavery) opposed secession before Lincoln's call for volunteers. After Lincoln's call, however, he became a firm secessionist.

"The President of the United States, in plain violation of the Constitution, issued a proclamation calling for a force of seventy-five thousand men, to cause the laws of the United states to be duly executed over a people who are no longer a part of the Union, and in said proclamation threatens to exert this unusual force to compel obedience to his mandates; and whereas, the General Assembly of Virginia, by a majority approaching to entire unanimity, declared at its last session that the State of Virginia would consider such an exertion of force as a virtual declaration of war, to be resisted by all the power at the command of Virginia."
-John Letcher Governor of Virginia

It was not northern coercion alone that Virginia objected to. When South Carolina and Mississippi were considering passing laws that would negatively affect Virginia financially unless they joined the Confederacy, Governor Letcher said, "I will resist the coercion of Virginia into the adoption of a line of policy, whenever the attempt is made by northern or southern states."

Tennessee

On February 9, Tennessee voters turned down secession by a 4-1 margin. However, things transformed radically after Lincoln's call for volunteers. Governor Isham Harris wrote President Lincoln saying that if the Federal Government would "coerce" the seceded states into returning, Tennessee had no choice but to join its Southern neighbors. He wrote "Tennessee will not furnish a single man for purposes of coercion, but 50,000 if necessary for the defense of our rights, and those of our southern brothers."

Harper’s Weekly quotes the Nashville Dispatch on April 13, saying, "An enthusiastic public meeting was held here tonight. Resolutions were unanimously adopted, condemning the Administration for the present state of affairs, and sympathizing with the South." Harper’s Weekly also quoted a Memphis paper saying, "There are no Union men now here." On May 9, in an address to the people of Tennessee, Governor Harris said, "Force, when attempted, changes the whole character of the Government; making it a military despotism, and those that submit become the abject slaves of power. The people of Tennessee have fully understood this important fact, and hence their anxiety to stay the hand of coercion. They well know that the subjugation of the seceded States involved their own destruction."

Harris and the people of Tennessee realized that cooperating in the subjugation of the Cotton States meant accepting their own future subjugation. Governor Harris recalled the Tennessee legislature on May 6 for another vote; voters would then approve secession on June 8 by a 2-1 margin. Reconciliation with a coercive government was out of the question; the Union was no longer. The founder's republic had vanished.

"If ever thus restored, it must, by the very act, cease to be a Union of free and independent States, such as our fathers established. It will become a consolidated centralized Government, without liberty or equality, in which some will reign and others serve the few tyrannize and the many suffer. It would be the greatest folly to hope for the reconstruction of a peaceful Union…The Federal Union of the States, thus practically dissolved, can never be restored."
-Isham G Harris, Senate Journal of the Second Extra Session of the Thirty-Third General Assembly of the State of Tennessee, which Convened at Nashville on Thursday, the 25th day of April, A.D 1861 Nashville J.O Griffith and Company, Public Printers 1861

North Carolina

"I have to say in reply that I regard the levy of troops made by the Administration for the purpose of subjugating the States of the South, as in violation of the Constitution and a usurpation of power. I can be no party to this wicked violation of the laws of the country, and to this war upon the liberties of a free people. You can get no troops from North Carolina."

-John Ellis, Governor of North Carolina Raleigh April 15, 1861, quoted in Harper's Weekly April 27, 1861

Last edited:
That's the common misconception: this country is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. The founders had a plan and a reason for that plan.

"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people. To take a single step beyond the boundaries, thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."

Thomas Jefferson, "Opinion on the Constitutionality of a National Bank" February 15, 1791

"A government of unlimited or undefined powers will eventually become totalitarian. This was widely known amongst Southerners. Thomas Jefferson believed that states' rights were the best protection to preserve liberty and a republican form of Government. John Taylor of Caroline warned, "If a government can take some, it may take all." St. George Tucker taught, "Power when undefined, soon becomes unlimited." In the first annals of Congress, James Jackson said, "We must confine ourselves to the powers described in the Constitution, and the moment we pass it, we take an arbitrary stride towards a despotic Government." James Rosch quotes John Randolph of Roanoke addressing Congress "If they begin with declaring one law of one state unconstitutional, where were they to stop? They might go on until the state governments, stripped of all authority...a great consolidated empire established upon their ruins...in such a contest the states must fall, and when they did fall, there was an end of all republican Government in the country.""

frig that lost cause bullshit

3e3xen-2407851648.jpg

Our new government['s]...foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

Alexander Stephens in his "cornerstone" speech.

Aww... You stole my meme moment. I was saving this for a special occasion :^D

Oh, well. Mine has a bit more text

5adfc69b82f865fa145e7a46bdbd4c75a3693f52e3db1fd2de1fa68090d3ca28.jpg

edit:
I was just flipping through my temp directory, and found a new one that's on-topic! That'll help make up for the duplicate...

52217b56-3247-4ae2-8ffd-09b78337a835.jpeg

Last edited:
Back