The Official Random Video Thread!

I watched that vid before. Ford's reaction makes me wonder.

Right up from Blains trick defies logical explanation. Likewise so many tricks Blain performs defies logical explanation.

There are other vids that explain how that trick can be done, but they're different. None show not exactly how Blain does it.

I've been following him for years.

Mick nailed it. The Mohawk tribe was known for their work in the high rise steelwork industry. I'm not sure what year fall protection was mandated for them.
The video is gone but iron work is a different game, that high you have a very high likelihood of getting smashed or snagged in the rigging/beam from a swinging load as much as falling. Current standards allow 25' with no tie off for connectors (guys bolting pieces together), so they deck every other floor and run wire rope around the perimeter. If they're doing it that way you can still do an entire skyscraper with virtually no tie offs, it seems crazy but that's the trade. Ironworkers are nuts, I've worked with them a bit as an apprentice, mainly bolting up stuff on tanks if they were short a guy. We would set the tank, and then to do the ladder cage you climb up the ladder, pull yourself and the ladder in, stab a wrench and throw in a few bolts, all the way up. Then we would get to the top and do the cat walk.

I still free climb a lot and tie in when I'm there, using a tie in when i need to, on most jobs that's actually fine. Often you're so close to the ground that a lanyard will just keep you from hitting your head on the floor, or there's nothing to tie into so you just go to where you can. Other places you have to tie off all the time, just kinda depends on the place. The other factor is that someone has to get to you in time before suspension trauma sets in, that's very rarely accounted for on most jobs, so tying in a lot of times is false security. I make sure all my apprentices know that when they do certain kinds of work that they really are on their own, and expecting others to save them is a death wish.

Confined spaces, working around certain stuff, high work, ditch work, etc. If stuff goes south in some of those situations there's usually no chance you will be successfully rescued. They have you sign stuff at the nukes that if you are working in the containment area that you understand if something happens and they shut down, you will literally be flooded and drowned to cool the reactor in seconds flat. I've worked in tanks where they stage scuba gear breathers in the tank so you have a chance to save yourself, because they realistically can't winch you out around all the stuff, the lanyards are more for body recovery than rescue. I've also been asked to lanyard in to a truck bumper when repairing an underground fuel tank, we figured that was so they wouldn't have to dredge the river to find us :lol: Thankfully they canceled that job before we did it, but I've done plenty of stuff like that before and since.

Rats definitely have intelligence. A couple of times, while waiting for the green light at the traffic light, I watched as the rats ran under a nearby car, jumped on the suspension elements and drove away.

Back