The Official Random Video Thread!

This is a cool YT channel, lots of old recordings

At the very end, he says the south fought for states rights, not to preserve slavery. It's hard to make out some of what he says, so I couldn't determine what the people of his time thought about the slaves. The answer may be in another recording...

How do you keep it going straight?
I think a pilot just has to come into the landing zone as linearly as possible. Momentum should then allow the plane to slide straight upon landing. This plan appears to have found a flat, likely paved stretch of ground (looks like a roadway if I had to guess). Most emergency landing sites aren't so luxurious. Other factors which can wreak havoc on an emergency landing are winds, especially if they are strong and perpendicular to the landing direction. Also, most large aircraft (unsure if this aircraft has it) have the capability to reverse thrust. A pilot can control the direction of the plane during an emergency descent by throttling or choking or reverse throttling the engines (they can be throttled or choked or reverse throttled individually, even if they have only one working engine, which allows aircraft to turn and make adjustments during an emergency landing). Lastly, pilots can operate the wing flaps on either side in order to steer during landing. Bear in mind that every aircraft differs from another; I am simply sharing what I know to be true about the majority of aircraft.

Last edited:
95845432-BB98-4DFF-B1AB-D6642995CA0B.jpeg
This Su-25 ("Rook", product "T-8", according to the NATO codification: Frogfoot — "frog's paw") is a Russian attack aircraft, an armored military aircraft. Judging by the letter Z on the tail, this aircraft is participating in a military operation in Ukraine. It was probably damaged during the battle, and therefore its wheels do not move out. This plane is made of titanium, and that's probably why such fantastic sparks appear. Су-25 — Википедия - https://ru.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D1%83-25

Last edited:
Jc, what were some of the first machines you tinkered on as a kid. No doubt at some point you wrenched on mini bikes and lawn mowers etc but I'm guessing that was later in your youth

Jc, what were some of the first machines you tinkered on as a kid. No doubt at some point you wrenched on mini bikes and lawn mowers etc but I'm guessing that was later in your youth
I just took apart stuff to see how it worked. Where I learned much of my skills was from the RC airplane hobby. That is an RC airplane motor, speed controller, batteries and volt meters. The throttle control is a little unit designed to test parts of the airplanes by simulating the signals the receiver produces. That project was really basic level stuff. The sprockets and chain came from a scooter parts website. I only dreamed of the advanced level stuff: instead of having one wheel drive, which messes up the steering, I'd rather have had the 1 motor drive a hydraulic pump to power a hydraulic motor on each wheel.

If you have a Netflix subscription, I HIGHLY recommend this documentary about a Nepalese alpinist who somehow managed to summit all 14 of the 8,000 meter peaks...in only 7 months, which is absolutely insane. It took Reinhold Messner 16 years, but he did it without supplemental oxygen, which requires long periods of acclimatization. This guy and his all Nepali team used supplemental oxygen, but that hardly discredits their accomplishment. The previous record was 7 years. Here's the trailer for the documentary. It's called 14 Peaks and it's all about what he dubbed Project Possible since everyone said it was impossible. This guy is a beast. It's a great, family friendly, intense, and at times very heart warming, with great story telling account of his monumental challenges and ultimate triumph.

Last edited:
Back