The Official Random Video Thread!

I'm not a big fan of the clove. Seems like there's always something that'll work better, and be more reliable. I use it mostly for tying off stringline after tensioning it.

Depends on what you are trying to do, it works really well for what it does, which is basically being the Swiss army knife of knots and almost impossible to jam. They teach all fitter apprentices it because it can be used for tons of different tasks throughout the day ranging from tying small pipes or ladders on a truck rack, attaching tag lines, lifting and holding pipes temporarily, even attaching welding lead to a lift. Yes other knots are often better for different tasks, but if you only know one knot you could do worse than a clove. By tucking a tail you make a constrictor, which when done in small stuff is like a zip tie or hose clamp but cheaper, stronger, and less likely to snag on stuff.

Reading a thread somewhere, there were a few people complaining about using the clove for heavy(ish) rigging, saying it would lockup tight, and be a PITA to remove. Dunno. I haven't used one for that.

I agree with @gf beranek Although that tying method in slow motion looked cool as f*ck, under heavy load that clove would have almost certainly either a) pulled out or b) been dangerously close to pulling out. When used as a termination knot, the clove should always have a stopper knot such as a figure 8 or an Ashley stopper. Alternatively, two half hitches (or another clove) can be tied around the standing end. There are other methods which include using a bight to do similar backup knots, such as a simple overhand on a bight. There's so many ways this can be done, but it must be done when using a clove hitch in this manner. Clove hitches are relatively secure once tied taught (in other words, by removing that slack that would have potentially caused the clove in the video to fail). However, I wouldn't trust my life or my load to clove hitch at the end of a rope without stoppers.

@CurSedVoyce As far as those "whistle jars...." That is some crazy cool stuff. I approve.
I wonder how archeologists know the Inca used such devices. Like, how do you prove that? I'm sure they did. Just wanna know how. I bet they made 3D scans of the originals and then made 3D printed copies of it and then they played around with it. Alex, that is my final answer.

Last edited:
In reference to these whistle jars and about the culture that was lost following the Spanish conquest:

"Most of these technologies and techniques were either lost or dramatically hidden after the Spanish conquest, since the sacredness of these objects and their uses was considered devil worship to the Catholic perspectives of the Spanish invaders."

Ouch. Devil worship? That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Well. Figure the times. There were sea monsters and witches and such.
The tribes were not completely wiped from the earth. There were survivors that passed down knowledge about their ancestory and practices. There are tribes down there that are literally left alone . The Incas and Myans had a huge trade influence that incompassed more than their local presence.

That is wild.

Engines are an insane device. The machining involved not to mention the basic design, is just amazing

It appears that TikTok Video wont link.
It was a video of a black hawk helo that belongs to PG&E dumping water to cause an avalanche to safety the zone for crews.

Last edited:
Back