The Official Random Video Thread!

Resident orcas afaik generally refers to the orca group living off shore off Washington usa, Puget sound. Different groups feed on different items and never the twain shall meet. The residents feed on salmon which have become very scarce due to all the usual reasons- logging runoff ruining their breeding streams, dams, pollution, noise pollution, over fishing, boat collisions. So most people believe that the resident pod is functionally extinct cuz reproduction rate is not matching death rate. Orcas worldwide are not endangered afaik.

I'd like to swim with them if feasible. Getting towed via dorsal fin would be rad.

There's people that do that with sharks too. Kinda like climbing dead trees, mountain climbing, and sailing at high latitudes; there's a level of commitment that might be hard to fully understand until you are in too deep and can't easily get out.

Resident orcas afaik generally refers to the orca group living off shore off Washington usa, Puget sound. Different groups feed on different items and never the twain shall meet. The residents feed on salmon which have become very scarce due to all the usual reasons- logging runoff ruining their breeding streams, dams, pollution, noise pollution, over fishing, boat collisions. So most people believe that the resident pod is functionally extinct cuz reproduction rate is not matching death rate. Orcas worldwide are not endangered afaik.

I'd like to swim with them if feasible. Getting towed via dorsal fin would be rad.
Getting towed by a mouthful of very large teeth...not so much.
:D

I'll never forget one fine, warm sunny day, fishing on the edge of the Bull kelp out front of Ft. Bragg, on a flat-calm clear ocean, in a 12 foot skiff, and an Orca come up to check me out. It was bigger than my skiff and I was looking in its eye. It struck me dumbfounded. and I was sure glad it didn't get snagged on my jigs.

It seems like wanting to pet an elephant. He can kill you in a split second if he feels just a bit bothered by your presence. Not only the orca has to be in a "gentle" mood, but he/she must be very careful when moving in proximity. Just a little wack with a fin, like "oops, sory bro!", and you are gone. How delicate these ones are in the vid, not even a wave to destabilize the lady.

It seems like wanting to pet an elephant. He can kill you in a split second if he feels just a bit bothered by your presence. Not only the orca has to be in a "gentle" mood, but he/she must be very careful when moving in proximity. Just a little wack with a fin, like "oops, sory bro!", and you are gone. How delicate these ones are in the vid, not even a wave to destabilize the lady.
Yes! Little known fact that "resident orca" in Washington are actually Canadian. They come down "for tha cheap smokes and beers" and endlessly say "sory".

Just a bit more re Orcas-

It was mentioned above the potential danger of interacting with orcas and swimming with sharks was cited as an analogy. The vid below brings to mind the factoid there is no record of a wild orca ever killing a human, yet of course many folks have been mauled and killed by sharks. FTR, captive orcas have killed people.

I know of a house fire started by the owner storing water in gallon glass jars on a window enclosed back porch. Total loss of the home.

Also have a friend who was very lucky to be home and discover early enough that the reflection from a magnifying mirror on the counter in a bathroom, next to a window on a sunny day, had ignited a towel hanging on a wall rod a few feet away. This was just a couple of months ago.

That's the kind of thing you don't necessarily give a lot of thought to til you see it happen. Need to plant more trees and block out that bad old sun.

B, I never heard of that but thx for the heads up. I'll have to tell the Mrs to keep her mirror under control

I'd never heard of it either, Cory. Think about it...the distance from mirror to towel would have to be within a couple of millimeters of perfect for a focused sunlight beam to be pinpoint enough to make that happen. The odds are way against it...but my buddy has a hole burned in a bath towel to show it can.

Last edited:
Afaik it is by far the most common method of mountain lion hunting: drive truck through snow down back roads until tracks are crossed, turn hounds loose on tracks, hounds chase the scent until finally the lion climbs a tree to escape and rest, locate dogs and tree by sound or by following dog's electronic collar signals, shoot lion out of the tree with bow or firearm.

Back