The New Offical Mutts of the House thread

• Thread starter Werks 4 da Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 4K
  • Views 290K
Been getting some down time here so have had chance to take Rufus mountain biking. We were almost done, 2 miles from the car when he started limping then sat down like he wouldnt go on. I inspected his paw and found what looked like a thorn or something stuck in his pad. I tried pulling it out with my fingernails but couldnt get a grip on it as it was flush with the pad. Rufus had to limp home as I wasnt about to carry his 80lbs ass. Got home and tried tweezers, no go. In the end I got some pliers on it and realized I was trying to pull it down when I should have been pulling sideways. Picture is of what I pulled out, all 1 1/2" of it:O

Man Ruf is a good dog, didnt even bite me as I was torturing his ass:(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 12
Been getting some down time here so have had chance to take Rufus mountain biking. We were almost done, 2 miles from the car when he started limping then sat down like he wouldnt go on. I inspected his paw and found what looked like a thorn or something stuck in his pad. I tried pulling it out with my fingernails but couldnt get a grip on it as it was flush with the pad. Rufus had to limp home as I wasnt about to carry his 80lbs ass. Got home and tried tweezers, no go. In the end I got some pliers on it and realized I was trying to pull it down when I should have been pulling sideways. Picture is of what I pulled out, all 1 1/2" of it:O

Man Ruf is a good dog, didnt even bite me as I was torturing his ass:(

Is that a nail or tiny drill bit? Poor guy, I hope he heals up quick. :(

Ouch!! Yeah, what is that thing?

Im not sure what it is, could be an OLD nail or a piece of fence maybe, twisted metal for sure ,pretty long and thin....very rusty

Pretty trusting dog, you've got there.
Hope he heal up fast.

I had a very similar thing happen with my german short-haired pointer, years ago. It turned out to be a thin, very tough, pointed piece of wood. Just about the same size. I would have been laying on the ground howling in pain, or passed out from shock, if it had been driven up into my foot. He limped home, too...about 2 miles.

Dogs are indeed tough.

A pic of me and my dog, I couldn't think of a name for him an started calling him Bub, it just stuck.

me and bub.jpg

I've never wanted a pitbull around, but my daughter got this one as a pup. They are a different sort of dog, very protective and loyal, but just does not like some people. This one plays with my Grandkids and would fight a chainsaw to protect them, but will kill a cat in a second.

Attachments

• Isabell 004.jpg
    Isabell 004.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 52
Then he needs discipline.

She knows it's something she is not suppose to do. Both times she killed a cat one ran from her and she grabbed it, one bite and that's it. Afterward she goes around with her head down and will not make eye contact. She really minds very well though.

I believe a pit and a cat could get along together; hell, I've already seen it. Your dog just has a problem, for some reason.

It seems incongruous to me that we expect our dogs to be civil with cats, but nobody says a cat needs discipline it attacks a dog. Dogs eat cats in the wild just like cats eat mice and birds. I think some dogs just have the hunting instinct more than others. It's tough to overcome the instinct to chase and bite with mere discipline and training.

That's true Sean. But if a dog attacks something while you or anyone one else who is higher in the pack then them is around, that is a major sign of disrespect imo. And even moreso if the leader of the pack has worked with a dog about certain issues, say not attacking cats, they shouldn't do it whether you're around or not. I know dogs largely live in the moment, but as the leader you should be able to set guidelines for expected behavior that will be followed when you're present or not. It's a constant leadership that must be provided, as dogs will always look to move up that's their nature(yes some more strongly then others). What I mean is you can't be the leader 'sometimes' or for only 'somethings' with a dog. It's something to constantly work at.

All of this is imo only.

My opinion, too!
None of mine will go after anything bigger than mice & Squirrels( sorry, Brian!)
Those have been ok'ed by the management( me!)

Back