SRT

Im just curious why, i somehow didn't catch the horse slaughter. Im assuming you are mainly mentioning conifers correct?

I don't like any ascender on a spur. But that horse has been beat pretty hard here in the past. Carry on, if you dare.
Since I'm newish, I'll ask why. Curious more than anything. Chances are good I'll never use a foot ascender unless it's required to extend my "career".

Let me see if I can find a thread to refer y'all to.

But in the meantime, short answer is "you'll have to hunt hard to find an easier way to gaff yourself".

I use the saka mini on left foot, original pantin on right and a Paul Didier chest harness for tending...or my homemade one.
Over time I have become so comfortable with srt that I can't remember the last time I needed a 3:1 to come back from an outer canopy position...but I do use my long lanyard ddrt still.

i had the blessing of breaking my right hand the summer between freshman and sophmore year of college, had to do everything left. dicovered a lot of interesting things. the off hand is smart, it picks things up quick. I also realize just because you write and eat with your right, doesn't mean that the right is best for all tasks.

i discovered that i could actually throw a spiral better left. I found that i was a stronger jumper with my right foot, meaning i could naturally get higher for a left handed layup than a right handed layup. also since most defenders look at me and see that I'm right handed gaurd my right. this means its often easier to score with my left than my right. that fall i came back incredibly improved.

i found its more complicated than left right, there is also goofy or regular on a skateboard or snowboard which isnt always connected to hand dominance. also the left eye right eye is also not always correlated with hand dominance.

In class i made a pojnt of taking notes on the left side of my page with my left and with my right on the right side. this helped keep me awake and my hand from tightening up. i found that it was fascinating seeing not only in the difference in the handwriting quality but also a difference in the content. my left hand seemed to have different ideas and ways of organizing my notes. my right hand was much faster but also sometimes sloppier for the speed.
as cory says lately i have been walking backwards a lot. i also try to balance the amount of rope pulling and body pulling with pushing actions....

Let me see if I can find a thread to refer y'all to.

But in the meantime, short answer is "you'll have to hunt hard to find an easier way to gaff yourself".
i don't really think thats true. at least not for everyone. i often put it under the spur as well. never gaffed myself, nor has it even crossed my mind that it would be a danger. i have gaffed myself a few times doing other silly things however.

That's an interesting approach Kevin, and I see the logic in it. I try to mix up my hands on a very basic level at work. Mostly to try to keep strength up in both arms, but I don't give it a lot of thought. I pull a saw over left handed. Cord's on the left, so it made sense to me to use my left arm. It would feel weird to pull it over right handed.

That is interesting to read... Especially about taking notes. And how the content seem to change based upon which hand was writing.

I never thought I would be ambidextrous. But as I trained with my martial arts teacher pretty intensively over the last 15 years and especially in the last 9 to 10 years using the dha, the Burmese sword, he had us doing double sword work. He said it would give us the ability to utilize the minor hand if the major hand was injured, tired, or if an unexpected target presented itself... It was very difficult at first but has certainly gotten much easier over the years and I found that I can now throw much better with my left hand whether it be a rock, pine cone, a ball or a knife. I have gotten better at shaving left-handed as well as brushing teeth left-handed.

I found that it also opened up my thinking to be able to focus on multiple task, directions, reactions simultaneously. Once patterns of movement were practiced enough that they became ingrained and could be performed unconsciously to keep the dhas from clashing it made it interesting to see how the body would respond when the reactions required didn't necessarily have time for deliberate thought.

Back when I still had a Woodmans Pal machete, I'd use that with my Ontario in my other hand. I wouldn't consider it ambidextrous use, but one complimented the other, and could be used together. For maximum power, it was always the right handed Ontario that went into action.

When bucking a lot of big wood, my rear hand can get tired from gripping, then I switch sides and have brand new strength on tap for the rear hand position

What do you use the quickies for? Been seeing them in TreeStuff's emails, and they look really cool, but I don't know what I'd do with them that couldn't be done with something I already have.

What do you use the quickies for? Been seeing them in TreeStuff's emails, and they look really cool, but I don't know what I'd do with them that couldn't be done with something I already have.
I will start by using them for base tie for SRT...they are not susceptible to safety issues from side loading as I understand it. And I will have to get creative after that...the slick pins are neat...learned about them from my rope runner pro. If folks know cool things to do with them let me know.

Like a shackle, they are impervious to side loading, and are compact and cool. Another great idea from Kevin B!!

Should be stamped right on the side, there’s some strength loss if pulled across the minor axis, but not enough that it’s an issue to one person not loading them dynamically. They’re awesome for canopy ties too!

I use a twisted shackle for canopy ties. They work wonders when paired with an alpine butterfly and a long tail.

Back